New job anxiety? In over my head? Just a bad deal?

I've been offered a job in a specialty one physician practice that already employs a nurse practitioner.

The doctor has already told me he doesn't have a truly defined idea of what he'll use me for, but hospital work is one of the main reasons he's hiring me- to make sure I do pre-op work on his patients, first assisting in his surgeries every now and again, doing one follow-up visit post op, ER consultation to bring in business, and rounding when he is on call. But, having my own patient load in his office is also something he's open to.

Because of licensing delays and the birth of my child, though the position was offered months ago, I will just barely be starting in a couple of weeks. However I have several concerns. I have no contract with this clinic and he has not agreed to pay CME, licensing fees, DEA fees, and has not given me medical benefits because I am currently getting benefits through my husband's employer, and has told me he will re-negotiate a lower salary if ever I need to receive medical benefits with his clinic.

Additionally, he has told me that his office manager is already swamped with work and cannot help me with paperwork to obtain privileges at the roughly 16 hospitals and surgery centers he wants me to become certified to practice at. So, I've begun the long long LONG road of certifying myself at these hospitals which seems as if it's a full time job in itself. I just emailed his office manager for assistance with gaining malpractice coverage through the clinic and she emailed me back the name of their insurance company and told me to call them and figure it out, basically.

He's said that he wants me to check patients in and out and basically be a medical assistant for weeks before actually having patient contact as a PA, and other times he tells me I'll be in charge of reviewing his dictated notes and verifying that he used the proper codes. I'm a little stressed that I'm going to show up on the first day and my role is so ill-defined that I won't know what to do, who to answer to, etc.

After the several of hours of time I've dedicated towards shadowing him on days when my husband could care for the baby, I've seen how busy the clinic is and I worry about how I will learn the ins and outs of their EMR system while they maintain a clinic.

The question is...should I just take this position? I'm unfortunately in a city where finding a PA position can prove to be a bit difficult. Honestly, just finding a PA position in general where they don't require a year's worth of experience is difficult, which is why I hesitate to decline the position. I'm not sure how I will manage all these hospital certifications as well, while working a full time position with his clinic. Don't PAs usually get some assistance from the office managers to fill out all of this paperwork? This is my first position out of school, so if I'm incorrect please let me know.

Not sure if this is just new job anxiety, or if I should come to terms with the fact that the amount of extra work I'll have to do on the side (certifying myself at 15+ hospitals) is too much for a new parent PA and I should seek a lower stress position, or if this gig is just a rotten deal that is too much for any PA? Any input is appreciated. I'm completely unfamiliar with what to expect.

I'm still contemplating what to do. Can't seem to decide. I'm a little put off that I don't get the office manager's help. A few of my employed friends have basically just had to sign their paperwork. But getting a feel for what others go through would help? Has this happened to anyone else?

All jobs have their administrative issues but yours sounds unusally bad. My guess is that you aren't going to be all that appreciated. At my office, I help out with hospital billing, do some dictation, and go to multiple hospitals, but the office manager takes care of certifying and recertifying at the hospitals. We get something for CME, health benefits (free for us, but costs something for the family), and a productivity bonus. We are also somewhat disorganized, but it works.

If I were you, I'd hang on to the job and start looking for a new one. They are out there. Having priviledges at multiple places may give you an in as well.

Good luck!

Any job I have ever worked at has support staff to line up paper work for new employees and walks you thorugh what you need to do to get up to speed with taking care of all the legalities. Sounds like a very disorganized place to work if you ask me, not somewhere I would want to work, or even be a patient at.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm thinking I'm going to hold on to the job. I'm going to make the best of it. And if I absolutely can't handle the stress I'll start looking elsewhere.

You're doing a disservice to yourself and to the profession. You openly admit that you'll be acting as a medical assistant--checking patients in and reviewing his dictations. Seriously? You should be less worried about the stress and more worried at the fact that you are being insulted and letting people know that it's OK to treat PAs like that. Start looking for new jobs.

This one is not worth the money. I have never been asked to do that much admin. is sounds like a turf war, the office manager didn't want you and is not willing to lift a finger to keep you versus a doc that was willing to give you a chance because of the scut work he can dump on you.

Quick bit of advice......RUN AWAY! This job, the SP, and everything else about what you wrote sound completely horrible. I will tell you with 100% honesty, it is not you having "new job jitters". This is just a really horrible job and you would be setting yourself up for failure by taking it. Any organization that can not take the time to ensure you get the proper credentials is not a good place to hang your hat. I am passing my 1 1/2 year mark in my first job (so I certainly have inexperience) but I have to say that the physician I work with was one of my top priorities. It really sounds like your prospective SP doesn't understand what a PA is or does. Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you.

Archived