I get a lot more in clinical rotations than I ever did during didactic (or raising four Kids or working weird shifts as a nurse). I'd say 7-10 depending on the day. It's WONDERFUL! As an aside, I chose sleep medicine as my elective and you'd be amazed how interesting it is. It's in the quality, not the quantity. Most people don't get enough of either one.

• Administrator
you a firefighter too along with being a PA? cool!

Yup. And six months out of the year--maybe 12 weekends total--I teach EMT Basic classes. The volunteer fire service was not just a throwaway stepping stone to PA school for me, but a team of very dedicated people from all walks of life who have named me their brother, and whom I am honored to call brother and sister in return.

I was a professional paramedic/firefighter for a big metropolitan city for ten years (ten 24 hour shifts/month) but was retired out due to injury

--- now I am a dermatology PA at an academic medical center. I get lots of sleep now - there are not too many derm emergencies. During school I would get 6-8 hrs/night sleep. Some rotations (general surgery) - I was up at 4 AM and done by 7 PM every day. Some school rotations, like family med and derm it was a more standard work schedule which allowed for plenty of sleep.

• Administrator
Rev ronin. Im applying next cycle and also work as a medic. during PA school do you think it would be possible to work some weekends at a slower fire dept or is that totally out of the question.

I worked at a volunteer fire department during my didactic year. I was able to to stay active with one department or another for 7 of my 10 rotations, but I was really fortunate with my placements.

Thanks for the info Im currently full-time at a combination dept but started as a volunteer I loved how you havent forgotten your roots and I plan on doing the same. Ive just been discouraged by many who said work was impossible regardless of how many hours. I believe the firehouse isnt your typicall job though.

Archived