Conflicted on Choosing to Accept Offer or Wait For Top Choice

Wow! Options! Always a good thing.

You sound like you aren't sure the accepting program is a good fit. The question to ask is why do you feel that way? It may be your gut telling you that the accepting program has some shortfalls that concern you. For one, probably no one there has yet faced the PANCE so you have no idea how they will do.

I went to a program that didn't graduate its first class until after I had enrolled. It was a great fit for me, but I could tell in advance that the people running the new program had their heads screwed on right.

You can't go wrong how and it sounds like you have a good year set up ahead of you with lots of excellent experience. If you can hold off and you really want Tufts, then go for it. If you were accepted this year, it is likely that someone will accept you next year. And you can go forward with the confidence that you present a good case for yourself in interviews.

Good luck!

IMO make a SWOT analysis or a weighted matrix to figure out your next move. One big threat is if it takes you a few tries to get into a program in addition to this cycle versus great HCE vs lost income vs how much time you have to wait for an acceptance. I don't know about your background, your current situation (income, family, goals, life plans, etc), what went wrong or right during the interview process, how strong your previous HCE is, and etc. So it's kind of hard to give advice with these intangibles. Either way try the SWOT or weighted matrix.

Best of luck!

Simply based on your description of the two options, you sound much more excited about the job opportunity and the idea of pursuing Tufts than you do about the acceptance you were offered. My guess is that you posted this in hopes that others would confirm you aren't crazy for passing up the admissions offer.

I asked a somewhat similar questions a few weeks ago. I applied really late this past cycle to only 2 schools I was somewhat interested in, but honestly I was fully anticipating applying next cycle because there were several other schools I believed I was more interested in that had earlier deadlines. I received an interview and acceptance to one of the two schools I applied to, and the only one that started this fall. I was conflicted about accepting the one offer when I hadn't had the opportunity to apply and interview elsewhere, but ultimately I decided to accept the offer. However, my situation differed from yours in several ways. I did not have my heart set on any particular program, and I really enjoyed my interview day at the program I was accepted to. I was very excited when they called me and was definitely able to imagine myself at this program. I am also extremely ready to move on from my current job. I absolutely love my job and it has been a wonderful experience leading up to PA school, however I have been living and working in the small town I grew up in for the past two years and currently feel very "stuck" so to speak.

If you aren't excited about the acceptance you were given, I would let the program give it to someone who is. You sound so enthusiastic about the job and Tufts, and I imagine if you were to pass those up you might regret it down the road.

IMO make a SWOT analysis or a weighted matrix to figure out your next move. One big threat is if it takes you a few tries to get into a program in addition to this cycle versus great HCE vs lost income vs how much time you have to wait for an acceptance. I don't know about your background, your current situation (income, family, goals, life plans, etc), what went wrong or right during the interview process, how strong your previous HCE is, and etc. So it's kind of hard to give advice with these intangibles. Either way try the SWOT or weighted matrix.

I used to think that I could make life decisions with such decision aids. What I discovered is, though they are great for business decisions, they really didn't take into account the intangibles associated with my life decisions. (Imagine picking your wife that way, for example!) If these tools help some people, great. As for me, when two options are really both viable, take the one that -- after a night's sleep -- really turns you on. You will need that enthusiasm to get you through the inevitable rough spots ahead on whichever road you choose.

My story: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

You're right I wouldn't pick my wife using that method but if you read my story you'd know I took a business approach to getting into PA school. I wouldn't give advice I didn't do myself. Either way this is about the OP and no ones method is better than another nor is anyone's advice better than the others. I'm simply here to give an alternative view and to help people from falling into the group think presented here on the forums. Btw I did use a swot and weighted matrix for my decision to go into healthcare and for which field in healthcare suited me best.

You'll be really annoyed next year, assuming you even get into Tufts, when you realize you'd already be a year along if you accepted. How would you feel if it took 2-3 years to get in? What about never? A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Timon,

I meant no offense. And I'd be happy to read your story.

In my experience, the factors selected for use in a decision matrix are not often not truly orthogonal (i.e., at least some of the axes duplicate key elements) and the weights chosen are often subjective. I'd be interested in seeing how you set up and used yours.

In any event, good luck in school and beyond.

You'll be really annoyed next year, assuming you even get into Tufts, when you realize you'd already be a year along if you accepted. How would you feel if it took 2-3 years to get in? What about never? A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. Also, Tufts is only provisionally accredited too. Sure they have a well-known medical schools and chances of their PA program being a success are high, but its still something to consider especially since the school you got into is on the same level as far as accreditation.

I have had my heart set on Tuft's PA Program and planned on applying to this program to hopefully gain an interview this summer. I went to their info session and was so impressed with their clinical rotations, curriculum, and job opportunities.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Tuft's first class hasn't started their clinical year yet. How can you be so sure that they have great clinical rotations and job opportunities if they don't have any graduates yet?

(FYI - this may win for the longest post ever on this forum)

kerryw723, first of all, congratulations on your acceptance!

I am actually a current first-year (well, only year right now, ha ha) student at Tufts. So, second, if you have any questions about the program in general or any questions that might help you make your decision, please let me know and I would be happy to chat with you! I will say that in my opinion, Tufts' program has been great so far and I would not worry about it being provisionally acredited - I was actually EXTREMELY hesitant to decide to attend a provisionally accredited school at first (especially because I was also accepted to one of the oldest/most well-established PA programs), but I felt Tufts was a better fit and better timing for me in my personal life/situation, so I decided to come and I think I made the right decision! My fellow classmates are friendly, intelligent, funny people with all different backgrounds and I have found a great group of friends and a great study buddy here! The faculty are also wonderful - most of them are from Tufts med school or MDs/PAs at Tufts Medical Center so they are all incredibly knowledgeable, are great teachers (most with prior experience teaching PA students), and are so, so nice and available to help! One of our professors just this morning agreed to reschedule our class today to an earlier time slot per our request with less than 24 hours notice because it would make it a lot easier on us! Faculty always help us out by sending us practice problems for our tests and by hosting review sessions (even after hours). Our core faculty are also incredibly supportive and responsive to the feedback we have given. And our facilities are amazing! Even the security guards are super nice. The sim center is beyond awesome, and our program just had a new locker room, offices, study rooms, etc. built for us! There are lots of opportunities to be involved with Tufts med/dental/public health programs as well - right now it's national public health week so we have had events all week with the other students for that. Also, I have particularly enjoyed that there are ALWAYS (too many to even fit on the schedule!) interesting talks/lectures happening at Tufts. I promise that this program has been set up to succeed - even the librarians here were preparing for us - they ordered JAAPA and set us up with all kinds of resources and have sponsored "library talks" once a month to help us learn about the resources we have available to us and how they can help us.

Third, my opinion is that the only one who can make this decision is you! You have to weigh which factors are the most important to you. If time isn't a factor and you don't think you would be happy or receive a good education at the institution where you have received an acceptance and are willing to wait 8+ months or however long it takes you to get into a program you want to attend, then wait! Also, I'm not sure what other factors are involved in your personal situation - moving, significant others/family, finances, etc. but everything needs to be considered. I made a pros/cons list when trying to make my decision. It sounds like you are much more excited about the job opportunity and the opportunity to attend Tufts than to attend the other institution, though. I also agree there will be great connections at your job at Brigham and Women's for post-grad opportunities as a new PA.

Last thing - I think that that program's fit to you is important and you may consider that a strong enough reason to wait - you have to be in an area you would be happy living in, feel like you fit with the program's mission, like the faculty, rotation sites, facilities etc. because you will be spending most hours of every day with your fellow students in those facilities with those faculty and the opportunities you have post-grad will be influenced by your choice as well.

Good luck!

Sounds like you are a competitive applicant. If you do wait, and land an interview with tufts, I would not keep it secret that you turned down an acceptance to another program because you wanted tufts.

even though you have your heart set, if you dont get int their are always other schools and you can settle on a second choice and still be a PA without waiting for years on tufts. Heck, you should be a shoe in for next year with the school you got accepted to.

• 3 months later...

Also, just an FYI, I'm sure you're aware how competitive the Tufts program is. If you were originally wait listed at this mediocre school, I wouldn't count on getting into tufts. They are claiming to already be more selective than northeastern, and their website boasts quite a bit. If I were you, I'd take the offer. Being what I assume is an ED TECH at the Brigham is going to be a bummer if you aren't accepted to tufts... Take it from another fellow Bostonian who's been working in Boston hospitals a while. Good luck! And remember... You'll still be a PA!

I agree with others that you should take your acceptance now for many reasons, unless you really don't think this program will be accredited (doubtful, since you applied) or absolutely hated it when you interviewed there. First, as you know, PA school is very competitive to get into. Next year when you apply your grades, GRE scores, etc. will all be the same -- you'll just have more HCE. Yes, HCE is important, but unless you didn't meet the minimum requirements for certain schools then I don't think it will significantly change whether or not you're accepted to schools depending on your other stats. I could be wrong, though, since I'm not on an admissions committee.

Second, I know you may think Tufts is your dream school based on the information session, but if you interview there next year you may be surprised to find that it's not. I interviewed at my top choice/dream school (3 days after my interview with the program I ended up attending) and was not impressed. I had gone to an information session at this school before applying and dreamed of attending it when I started the application process. Then, I interviewed, and despite it's great name, location, world-renowned clinical rotation sites etc. I declined the acceptance because I just didn't feel as "warm and fuzzy" about it as my alma mater.

Third, how can Tufts boast about their job opportunities when no one has applied for jobs yet? I'm sure they've accepted great students and that the program is pretty solid seeing as how it's affiliated with Tufts Medical School, however, landing a job as a new grad in Boston is really difficult. I know from experience because I applied to probably 10-15 jobs in Boston after graduation, interviewed at 6, and only received one offer. (Granted, they were in surgical sub-specialties which is hard to get into in general, but still.) Also, a friend of mine graduated from Northeastern and landed a job at a great hospital in Boston, but it was not in her chosen specialty. Making contacts in the ED at BWH will be a nice plus, but it won't necessarily guarantee you a job at BWH in the future. Plenty of new grads and experienced PAs apply there from older, well-known programs every year.

Fourth, if you wait and get into Tufts it will be great! But what if you wait and you don't get in? Like wutthechris said, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." If you don't get into Tufts you've wasted twice as much money (and time) between CASPA, interviews, etc. and you're also losing a year's salary you could've been making as a PA. I'm sure your job at BWH in the ED will be great, but you'll be working at something you probably don't really enjoy. Do I appreciate my HCE working as a medical assistant? Yes, but I wouldn't choose to do that job for another year when I could be a PA instead. Plus, keep in mind - you get accepted to PA school, but sometimes have to wait a while to actually start. I got accepted to my school in November and then didn't start until the next August which meant practically another year of working as an MA.

Fifth, do you honestly think you can get accepted to Tufts? I'm not trying to be mean, but we know very little about your stats. Compare what's listed on their website to the other schools where you were waitlisted/accepted. I'm sure that these new programs that are starting up are trying to get the best students as possible to form a solid foundation to build off of. I got accepted to seven programs without being waitlisted and even I was afraid I wouldn't get into any! I applied to more than I needed to because I thought I wouldn't get in anywhere after going to numerous PA school info sessions and hearing about how there are "1000 applications for only 40 seats" every year.

I agree with marktheshark89 that even if you get accepted to Tufts they're still provisionally accredited, so that really should have no bearing on this argument since the two schools are equal in that regard.

I agree with whoever told you going to a well known PA school is going to become more important over the next few years and that is not something to take lightly. However, I'm a little confused as to why you want to go to Tufts. Is it just because of the Tufts name? You've mentioned nothing about BU, NEU, or the new program opening at MGH. All of these schools have excellent facilities, faculty, clinical rotations, etc. If you decide to wait then I second EMEDPA with also applying to BU (and Northeastern. If you're planning to work in the ED at BWH full time then you should have the minimum 2000 hour requirement for NEU). I personally know the new program director at BU and have no doubt the program is going to be amazing under her leadership. If you're looking to attend the best Boston school because you know that "where you went to school may matter in the future" then go to Northeastern. It's name might not be as fancy as Tufts, but it is one of the oldest PA programs in the country. They literally have decades of experience training PAs. I'm not saying Tufts, BU, MGH, etc won't be good programs, but no one can say that for certain just yet when their students haven't even started classes/graduated/taken the PANCE.

Do you want to be a PA or just a Tufts trained PA? When I got accepted to my first school I was ecstatic. It was not my top choice, but I liked it enough when I interviewed. In fact, it was one of the schools I added last minute to my application and applied to as a "safety school." Nevertheless, I was thrilled (as were the office staff where I worked as an MA) when my mom called me to tell me it had arrived/asked if she could open the letter/told me the news over the phone. I'd worked SO HARD to get into PA school and was so relieved that I knew I'd be going somewhere and that after everything I was going to get my shot to be a PA. I never entertained the thought of turning the acceptance down. I sent in the $500 fee to hold a seat and kept interviewing. A month or two later I got accepted to my dream school and my alma mater so the money was technically "wasted" at the first school, but I looked at it as insurance that I'd be going to a PA program the following year even if I wasn't accepted anywhere else. (Didn't have a crystal ball to tell me what the future held or else I'd be $500 richer!)

If you are going to feel like you "settled" and be miserable at this other program, then wait. PA school is hard enough even when you love where you are and are motivated to keep plugging away. If you're going to resent the school then doing the work will be that much harder.

PS. Ejsmith829: I did not read the entire website, but Tufts acceptance stats for last year are not nearly as competitive as Northeastern's. Maybe it's because fewer people applied due to it being a new school/provisionally accredited, but they accepted 18% of applicants. Northeastern's acceptance rate every year is about 4%. (And no, I did not graduate from there in case you're wondering.)

Archived