Should I retake Gen chem before orgo?

So I took gen chem 1 and 2 my freshman year of college. I made a B and C+, respectively. (B- in both labs). I am graduating in May with my bachelors in bio, and since have done better in science courses. Anyways, I have to take Orgo 1 and 2 this coming up Fall/Spring, but my question is, should I retake gen chem 2 at the least for refresher and GPA boost, or should I be fine to start fresh in Orgo? Any thoughts are personal experiences?

So I took gen chem 1 and 2 my freshman year of college. I made a B and C+, respectively. (B- in both labs). I am graduating in May with my bachelors in bio, and since have done better in science courses. Anyways, I have to take Orgo 1 and 2 this coming up Fall/Spring, but my question is, should I retake gen chem 2 at the least for refresher and GPA boost, or should I be fine to start fresh in Orgo? Any thoughts are personal experiences?

I don't think it's necessary to retake general chemistry to prepare for organic. General chemistry was more about math and organic chemistry is more about shapes and connections within molecules. Retaking general chemistry would be of minimal benefit. Also, because CASPA counts both grades for a repeated course, retaking a course gives no better gpa boost than taking some new class and getting an A.

I don't think it's necessary to retake general chemistry to prepare for organic. General chemistry was more about math and organic chemistry is more about shapes and connections within molecules. Retaking general chemistry would be of minimal benefit. Also, because CASPA counts both grades for a repeated course, retaking a course gives no better gpa boost than taking some new class and getting an A.

You should definitely re-take your gen chem course for a better grade.. A 'C' in one of the core sciences is generally not going to fly, especially since your other chem grade wasn't spectacular either. I would caution you about taking it over the summer if you're not a strong chem student though - summer classes are brutal and if you haven't mastered those basic concepts it might not help you very much.

Orgo is very different than chem 2, though you will need to know the orbitals, shapes etc. (We covered this in a basic way in my gen chem 2 class - maybe you did as well?) You don't need to necessarily re-take gen chem before you take orgo, but it might be helpful to refresh that material before your class starts. Good luck!

You should definitely re-take your gen chem course for a better grade.. A 'C' in one of the core sciences is generally not going to fly, especially since your other chem grade wasn't spectacular either. I would caution you about taking it over the summer if you're not a strong chem student though - summer classes are brutal and if you haven't mastered those basic concepts it might not help you very much.

Orgo is very different than chem 2, though you will need to know the orbitals, shapes etc. (We covered this in a basic way in my gen chem 2 class - maybe you did as well?) You don't need to necessarily re-take gen chem before you take orgo, but it might be helpful to refresh that material before your class starts. Good luck!

I didn't do as well as I would have liked to in my general chemistry classes as a freshman in college either (C+ in both). I became a much better student as time went on. I took Orgo I last summer (a year after graduating) without retaking general chemistry and got an A. It's not an easy class, but it is pretty different from general chemistry, so you should be fine if you work hard. After taking orgo and biochem, I'm finally redoing my gen chem classes and am pleased to say I have improved a ton since freshman year in college. Orgo doesn't require a fresh knowledge base in gen chem to do well, but I'd consider eventually retaking at least chem 2 to have a better grade on file for your prerequisites. Good luck!

I didn't do as well as I would have liked to in my general chemistry classes as a freshman in college either (C+ in both). I became a much better student as time went on. I took Orgo I last summer (a year after graduating) without retaking general chemistry and got an A. It's not an easy class, but it is pretty different from general chemistry, so you should be fine if you work hard. After taking orgo and biochem, I'm finally redoing my gen chem classes and am pleased to say I have improved a ton since freshman year in college. Orgo doesn't require a fresh knowledge base in gen chem to do well, but I'd consider eventually retaking at least chem 2 to have a better grade on file for your prerequisites. Good luck!

I agree with the previous posts. I would retake gen chem 2. While it won't help you too much with organic it will make you a better applicant. You have to remember that over 180k people applied to caspa schools this year. Of those around 18k were selected for interviews and a little more than 5k were Accepted. You want to show the schools that you are dedicated to becoming a PA by retaking classes

I agree with the previous posts. I would retake gen chem 2. While it won't help you too much with organic it will make you a better applicant. You have to remember that over 180k people applied to caspa schools this year. Of those around 18k were selected for interviews and a little more than 5k were Accepted. You want to show the schools that you are dedicated to becoming a PA by retaking classes

I You want to show the schools that you are dedicated to becoming a PA by retaking classes

I'm not sure this shows "dedication." Every school is different, but I would think that it would show more "dedication" to take upper level science classes that would be helpful towards your education (pathophysiology, immunology or a more advanced version of the class in question) or work in health care and have your hands on patients on a daily basis.

If you are straight out of undergrad- yes retake it because all you have is your GPA. If you are making efforts towards this goal in other aspects of your life, maybe not bother. If your application is otherwise strong, 1 C is not going to deter you from PA school.

I have a C in gen chem and it was never brought up in an interview.

I You want to show the schools that you are dedicated to becoming a PA by retaking classes

I'm not sure this shows "dedication." Every school is different, but I would think that it would show more "dedication" to take upper level science classes that would be helpful towards your education (pathophysiology, immunology or a more advanced version of the class in question) or work in health care and have your hands on patients on a daily basis.

If you are straight out of undergrad- yes retake it because all you have is your GPA. If you are making efforts towards this goal in other aspects of your life, maybe not bother. If your application is otherwise strong, 1 C is not going to deter you from PA school.

I have a C in gen chem and it was never brought up in an interview.

If you were to retake it I would for the grade. It really will not help you in organic.. I took a 5 week accelerated organic chemistry class and made an 87 in it and that was before I even took Chem 1 or Chem 2....

This is an interesting point. I tutor for both gen chem and orgo chem and people go nuts when they hear that gen chem is not a pre-req for orgo chem. They are two completely different classes and impart completely different knowledge.

OP, ask your college if there's a way to "scrub" an old grade. This is sometimes known as the "retake policy". You might have to ask your academic advisor, department chair, etc.

If you were to retake it I would for the grade. It really will not help you in organic.. I took a 5 week accelerated organic chemistry class and made an 87 in it and that was before I even took Chem 1 or Chem 2....

This is an interesting point. I tutor for both gen chem and orgo chem and people go nuts when they hear that gen chem is not a pre-req for orgo chem. They are two completely different classes and impart completely different knowledge.

OP, ask your college if there's a way to "scrub" an old grade. This is sometimes known as the "retake policy". You might have to ask your academic advisor, department chair, etc.

Archived