Retake the GRE?

I was wondering what is considered competitive GRE scores? I just took mine last weekend, and I don't have back the official scores yet but I got a 148 on verbal reasoning and 144 on quantitive reasoning? Should I retake it to get some better scores? It's obviously expensive so I don't want to retake it if I don't have to, but it that would be best for a better shot when applying then I will. Just wanted some other opinions.

I was wondering what is considered competitive GRE scores? I just took mine last weekend, and I don't have back the official scores yet but I got a 148 on verbal reasoning and 144 on quantitive reasoning? Should I retake it to get some better scores? It's obviously expensive so I don't want to retake it if I don't have to, but it that would be best for a better shot when applying then I will. Just wanted some other opinions.

I made the exact same scores as you and I was accepted to two schools and wait listed at one! I did graduate with a 3.64 cum GPA and a 3.58 science though so that might of help my case. One thing I would tell you is to apply to programs that don't require the gre if that is your main concern.

• 4 weeks later...
I scored around the same and was accepted to my top choice school

What was your top choice? I only ask because it seems some programs really factor in the GRE where as others don't really seem to worry about it too much, e.g. average is around ~55% for verbal and quantitative for some schools.

Archived