What do you use for chronic pain in patient's with CKD??

New 80 y/o pt comes in with horrible degenerative joint disease of hands with CKD stage 3 AND a h/o of gastric ulcer. Takes aleve twice daily. I take pt off of it because of those reasons. Ultram makes him confused, hallucinates with hydrocodone, tylenol doesn't help pain and inflammation at all. I think I'm out of options!!

Advice anyone? Thanks!

First, I try to recommend non pharmacologic measures. If myofascial or muscular, try PT with modalities. TENS, US, Inferential, acupuncture, massage therapy..etc, etc.. If I need to use a medication, I tend to use Gabapentin for patients with CKD.....I know that it is excreted renally, but it is pretty safe, as long as you are cognizant of the patients GFR......Although it is still sometimes thought of as only effective for neuropathic pain, there is a lot of evidence that it is effective for arthritic and myofascial pain as well.

I tend to adjust dosing as follows. Titrate up starting at 100mg TID to effectiveness, and if GFR is =/>50, they can advance to 900-3600mg TID...if the GFR is 30-50, I use 400-1400 BID. If GFR is 15-30, 200-700mg BID, and if the GFR is less than 15, I only use 100-300mg once daily.

I always stick to the lower end of these doses, especially in the lower GFR range as many of them are kind of frail and usually elderly. Because of some of the side effects, IE; lightheadedness and fatigue, I worry about them falling....

That's what I do at least...Others may have some different thoughts as well...

CKD= Chronic Kidney Disease. It has various stages- the earlier stages simply being decreased glomerular filtration rate and increased baseline creatinine levels, and the extreme end being dialysis and possibly kidney transplant.

Is it the same as Chronic Renal Failure? On the ambulance we have many, many patients who have CRF as a medical condition.

I recall the GFR and creatine from my A&P classes. Doesn't one use inulin to check the GFR?

pain-topics.org/pdf/Opioids-Renal-Hepatic-Dysfunction.pdf

Here you go, this paper has been a big help in my pain management and I hope it helps you in yours as well. Referral to Pain Mgmt might be a good idea with this patient, due to age.

Thanks to archerry for the article!

Great article--I tucked it away for my upcoming renal rotation. Thanks :)

Have you folks had much luck with using Cymbalta for pain control?

I use it for OA, FM and neuropathic pain. But you have to give a faster acting analgesic to bridge them since it can take up to a month for results.

Oh n thanx heme for the article!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Just finished up my FP rotation..one of the last patients we had was a young man with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Among the wide array of providers of whom he would frequent, somehow he ended up on Methadone. He came in to our clinic requesting a new script of Cymbalta at 120 mg/day dose to aid in his stepping down his Methadone.

Sorry....getting off the topic of DJD with CKD.

Just finished up my FP rotation..one of the last patients we had was a young man with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Among the wide array of providers of whom he would frequent, somehow he ended up on Methadone. He came in to our clinic requesting a new script of Cymbalta at 120 mg/day dose to aid in his stepping down his Methadone.

Sorry....getting off the topic of DJD with CKD.

Never tried it on CRPS-these pts can be a nightmare- but it would be worth a try....Lyrica may also help...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

We use low doses of morphine with renal dysfunction.

I have worked in pain management for 5 years and methadone is our favorites for neuropathic pain. How much methadone is this guy on? Methadone is an NMDA antagonist which provides the ability to help decrease neuropathic pain and also by inhibiting NMDA, you become less tolerant to methadone compared too other opioids (don't have to increase dose frequently). I did my UNMC paper on prescribing methadone despite stigma and barriers if anyone is bored and wants to read 40 pages. Methadone IS NOT A BAD DRUG from a responsible prescriber (you don't need 100mg/day, 30-40 mg/day max). Now. what do I spent most of my time doing when it comes to pain management- helping people understand methadone's mechanism of action and use in opioid rotation. It does have a bad stigma but its unfortunate. When people voice concerns with methadone and what they have "heard." They usually describe zombie and drooling patients. Any opioid at high doses can do that. Any opioid in combination with non-prescribed narcotics, benzos, alcohol, illicit drugs- can cause this effect. Very rarely is it the drug itself. CRPS can be safely treated with opioid but treatment should be geared towards sympathetic blocks, spinal cord stimulator, intrathecal pain pump, or ketamine infusions. Cymbalta beyond 60mg is likely to just cause side effects in our experience.

• 4 months later...

While joint pain can be caused by a big variety of different issues, there are a some causes for chronic joint pain that are very common.

They include:

1.Arthritis

2.Fibromyalgia

3.Ligament or tendon injuries of a severe nature

Those are generally the four main reasons that you may be suffering from chronic pain in the joints. But before taking any supplements you can read reviews on web so that you can get some what good information about which supplement is good and which supplement is bad for chronic pain.

You can read more chronic pain supplement reviews at "joint health magazine" website.

Honestly, my primary response to most of these people is THERAPY, THERAPY, THERAPY. Just saw an international patient last week referred to me for low back pain, unfortunately, the pain wasn't due to the mild facet arthritis, but to pelvic floor dysfunction. Wrote a script for therapy.

I'd say in a given week, I write 7-8 prescriptions for therapy for every 1 prescription for pain meds, and of the medications I write for, I maybe write for a narcotic 1-2 times per month. That's my approach.

Archived