MA or EMT preferred for HCE?

C-MA or EMT:

Which is more desirable by PA schools? Which will help me excel more so in the PA Program? What did you do to earn HCE to become a PA? I can't seem to find any specific comparisons between the two, and I'd like to know which is better for preparing me. I'm also planning on getting certified in one of the two before I get my bachelor's degree in health care/allied health, is this a good idea so that I can earn more HCE in that amount of time? I know the time period and amount of HCE are two factors put into consideration, as well (ex: I'm probably less likely to be admitted with 1,000 hours of HCE in 5 years total). I also plan to volunteer, of course! :)
Thank you in advance! Additional info and advice is greatly appreciated as well!

I don't know if it matters that much which you do... I did the EMT-B class but then the job I found was as an MA. I think what matters is working a lot of hours and doing a good job so that your recommendations are strong, and making sure you work in an environment where people are willing to mentor you and support you so you learn as much as you can.

Prior to beginning my PA school clinical rotations, I would have said EMT based simply on my background in EMS. However, after being in family practice for four months, I have personally witnessed/benefited from what a MA can do. A good MA will make or break a PA.

An EMT will do more interviews and assessments. They will lay hands on patients, make treatment decisions, perform interventions and otherwise operate in an independent, but accountable manner. (at least a pre hospital, 911 dispatched EMT). All of this is very good stuff if you get into that role.

A MA will have the culture of the clinic dialed in. Bedside manner, procedures, some basic interviewing, osmotic education while you listen to the folks around you ie: PA presenting to a doc. You learn clinic flow, speed, efficiency, labs, meds, team work.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one...find out which has a better chance of getting you a job in your area and go for it.

Good luck

I think it depends where you want to work. As an ER Tech I see everything that comes in and most often participate in every procedure that occurs within the ER. In my opinion I would say ER Tech > Back Office MA > Ambulance EMT running 911. That's how I would rank it and i only give a slight edge to ER Tech only because of the diversity of procedures, exposure to various department, and the amount of patient contact when comparing the two. Most schools I know don't accept front office MA and one school I know of are no longer accepts ambulance EMT-B.

Archived