Careers after failing the PANCE FIVE times....

So, I blew it in a big way. Didn't pass my PANCE again, didn't even come close. I did studies, went to the reviews, just about everything you can think of. The writing is on the wall, I get it I'm not supposed to be a PA. Any suggestions what I can do now with my PA degree? I'm just lost and don't know where to turn. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Warmly,

Rett

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, so sorry to hear this!

It seems like you have to do some soul searching right now. What did you do before PA school? What else could you feel passionate about? You do have a master's degree in health sciences or medical sciences. This means something. You might be able to teach with this (at a community college for instance) or follow it into some other health-related field. You do not have to disclose that you did not pass the PANCE when you put yourself out there. You can say you decided not to practice medicine, you'd rather teach/play an administrative role/do something else entirely etc. Or maybe it's time to look outside health care.

In any case, I hope you find a new path.

Agree with Joanna.

But would you mind answering a few questions for me (and likely others)?

What school/program did you attend?

How did your classmates do on the PANCE?

How did you do academically while you were in school??

I know these are intrusive questions, and I understand if you don't answer them, but I just comprehend someone making it through a decent PA program and not being able to pass the PANCE.

I'm truly sorry you are in such a predicament.

Rett, I can't offer any advice as I'm just a future PA student myself. However, I'm sure that many people who have the PANCE ahead of them would like to know a little more about your situation to help them plan their future. My questions are:

1) Are you normally good at standardized test like the MCAT or GRE etc?

2) What was your undergraduate science grades and course load like?

A friend of mine had similar problems. He now works as a government contractor teaching soldiers medicine (combining his master's degree with his prior MOS of 18D), making more than a PA when the contract work is there.

Did your 18D friend fail the PANCE? I met a few 18Ds early in my career and they all seemed really sharp.

I'm putting myself out there like an open book. Nothing is intrusive. I attended East Carolina University. Out of a class of 30 only 2 of us didn't pass at all. Academically I kicked hiney in school GPA was 3.5 Looking back I had alot on my plate. I bought a resturant, went through a divorce, was sexually assulted, had another baby, got rematried. Talk about stress - whew.

Joanna,

Your right I have alot of soul searching to do. Honestly the only two things I have ever know is 1. I was going to be a mom and 2. I was going to be in medicine. I only have my BS in PA studies. I have considered a Masters in Health Care Admin, but I want to see patients. Sorry no way in hades could I be a nurse. I don't mind going back to school, but I'm now on baby number FIVE. I have prayed, mediatated and had many conversations with myself about what I want to be when I grow up. I really really believed I was supposed to be a healer to God's people. Looking back that is very vague and can be obtained many different ways. I just don't know which way to go. I did previously teach intro Chemistry at the Community College (until I fell and broke my leg on campus- I wasn't invited back). Even thought about leaving medicine and going into Human Resources. I'm lost, was hoping for some suggestions. Thanks so much for your time and not bashing me, I'm really good at kicking my own a$$.

What is his Masters In? PA studies? We live very close to Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital. I would love any pearls you could get from him to share with me.

A friend of mine had similar problems. He now works as a government contractor teaching soldiers medicine (combining his master's degree with his prior MOS of 18D), making more than a PA when the contract work is there.

I'm putting myself out there like an open book. Nothing is intrusive. I attended East Carolina University. Out of a class of 30 only 2 of us didn't pass at all. Academically I kicked hiney in school GPA was 3.5 Looking back I had alot on my plate. I bought a resturant, went through a divorce, was sexually assulted, had another baby, got rematried. Talk about stress - whew.

Wow, that is a lot to happen in two years with or without PA school on top of it. I sincerely hope things work out for you.

Good luck

Hi,

you can definitely work in pharma/device industry. They need people that understand medical concepts, license is not required almost 100% of the times.

The fields are drug safety/medical information/medical writing/clinical trials etc.

If need to PM me, I can elaborate more.

Hope all has worked out very well.

I may be totally wrong here... but with you graduating from an ARC-PA school you may be able to practice with only one Doctor if they are willing to tack you onto their name. There are some PA'S that let their "C" lapse because they will be working for the same Doctor and there is no advantage to them right now... or their state only requires initial certification then it is optional. Their are some states where initial cert is not required to practice. If you would be willing to relocate to a state that would let you practice without your "C" and find a Doc you would be willing to work for the rest of your career... then it may be doable...

just a thought...

like i said I may be way off here... but I thought i remebered hearing something like that, somewhere, from some people... :=D:

You are a female 18D or have I misread your posts??

As far as I know... ALL states require initial certification for initial licensure.

Then in some states re-certifiction is optional...

But of course, I could be wrong here...

Maybe I read it wrong then... I was just confused by the part that said:

"Others do not require current certification for initial licensure..."

So I guess that assumes that they had passed and practice at some point in some other state.

You are right C!

All 50 states and the District of Columbia require passage of the Physician Assistant NationalCertifying Exam administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician

Assistants (NCCPA) for state authorization to practice as a physician assistant.

www.aapa.org/uploadedFiles/content/.../Current_Certification.pdf

I think her whole point was that she would like to stay in Medicine. There are midlevels in other countries that are referrred to as "Clinical Officers". They are Like PA's and function as such. I am pretty sure they only have to pass the Clinical officers course testing and there are no formal tests or certifications that they hold. I believe they are intensely trained for 1 year and then turned lose for OJT. The theory is that at least someone is there to try to do something and at least ill trained and ill equipped is better than nothing at all. You may try to link up with some missionary groups that go to Africa or other Third world places where CO's exist. Some providers I know have a 6 and 6 schedule. They work 6 months here in the U.S. and then they go 6 months abroad to help staff and establish clinics and work on the preventitive medicine projects. You may be able to attach yourself to one of these groups and go on 1-6 month medical missions and function as a Clinical Officer.

Just had a lecture yesterday from a DMAT PA who has extensive travel experience and he said you don't need a "C" to practice overseas in a lot of places. "PAs for Global Health" was one of the resources he gave us. Of course with kids it might not be too attractive to you, but me personally, I'd be all over that. Let me know if you want his contact info, he's a graduate of our program and a real nice guy.

good luck

@Rett-

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Thanks so much for your openness and honesty. It sure sounds like you have been persistent. As a pre-PA with all that hard work still in front of me, I find it horrifying to hear that the PANCE is that difficult.

I do believe that things happen for a reason, even when we can't always see the bigger picture. I am hoping that you will one day post a thread updating us on your future successes, and informing us all about the other career options that are available if you have a PA degree.

I know your heart is in patient care... but a retired FBI agent told me today that the FBI is always looking for people with medical knowledge. Depending on your interests, forensics could be in interesting career.

Archived