Looking for your opinions and suggestions

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if you guys could look at my stats and give me some advice on how to improve.

Major: BioMed Minor: Chemistry

Relevant courses: General Bio 1 & 2, Cell Bio, General Chemistry 1 & 2, Calculus 1 & 2, General Psychology, Human A & P 1 & 2, Organic Chem 1, Human Genetics

Before I graduate (Spring 2014) I'll be taking Organic Chem 2, Virology, Microbiology, Biochemistry 1, Intro Statistics, Physics 1 & 2, and Immunology.

I also conduct Undergrad Research and am currently working on a project with Staph aureus.

Cumulative GPA: 3.69

Science GPA: 3.62

For Patient Care Experience I have nothing; but I enrolled in an EMT-B program starting in January, and hope to get a full-time job over the summer and continue working until graduation.

I have had the same job since I was 15 (6 years) at a grocery store.

I'm close to a NP that works at a major hospital in Boston, and she is helping me in finding shadowing opportunities. Do you think a PA program would look at shadowing an MD negatively? I only ask this because she explained that it may be more difficult for her to find a PA that is willing to have someone shadow them, and I may have to settle for an MD (which I am fine with).

Finally, I am on a wait list for volunteering at my local hospital (they said I'll begin in January, one or two nights a week for 4 hours).

Does anyone have more suggestions for what I should do to make myself more competitive? Being a PA is my dream

Thanks guys!

Obviously get HCE. Adding another non-heathcare related volunteering to look more well-rounded couldn't hurt. Personally, I would not shadow a MD because your profile looks much more like a med school applicant than a PA school applicant and you don't want schools to think PA is not your top choice. Shadowing is not that important, just find a PA or 2 and spend a day or half day with them. You could do 2 days over winter break from classes and be all set. I found it was helpful to shadow in different specialties, gave good material to talk about at interviews.

As long as you keep the GPA up, write a good PS, do well on the GRE, and apply to schools that do not focus heavily on HCE I think you're in a great place.

Thanks! I had always thought that shadowing would be highly important. I'll definitely focus on HCE. What would you suggest for non-healthcare related volunteering? Something like a soup kitchen?

I'm excited to start my EMT program as well so I can start on those patient care hours.

Thanks! I had always thought that shadowing would be highly important. I'll definitely focus on HCE. What would you suggest for non-healthcare related volunteering? Something like a soup kitchen?

I'm excited to start my EMT program as well so I can start on those patient care hours.

I think most people would agree with me that shadowing is just a "check off the box" kind of thing. It can be good to shadow more if you find someone you think would write a good letter of recommendation so that you can get to know them better.

Soup kitchen, tutoring low-income kids or adults going back to school, coaching a sport, volunteering at a nursing home (help with the craft/social stuff), lead a nature walk, big brother/big sister, etc. I volunteered at a therapeutic horseback riding facility helping kids with disabilities.

Also start thinking about getting good letters of recommendation. It's common for them to want one from an employer (almost always required), one from a medical professional preferably or required to be a PA, and one from a professor.

• 1 month later...

This is really just personal curiosity but, why not go to medical school? You're young and have the stats for it. Medical schools aren't looking for extensive HCE like PA programs. I don't want to offend anyone. I know someone can really see the PA profession as the right place for them, but like I said, I'm just curious.

Nothing wrong with shadowing a MD, but make sure you have some solid time shadowing a PA. Some schools want a LOR from a MD. Finish your degree with As and Bs, do EMT-B to satisfy the HCE requirements and take the GRE. Interview well and you should get in no problem.

My opinion is that this thread is in the wrong area of this forum...

My suggestion is that you post this stuff in the "Pre-PA area" as this has NOTHING to do with Professional Licensed and Certified PA-Cs.

Moderators... please move this...!!!

Hey I agree with C - it is -10 degree's out this morning, on my second cup of coffee while I call new patients to set up appointments - did I miss something, did H### freeze? (heee heee heee in that fact that C and I agree.....) Nice to agree with you C!

Archived