California to Boston relocation

After my first two+ years of PA practice (and steep learning curve!) I will be relocating from Southern California to Boston for my husband's job. We are not planning to make the move until spring of 2013, however I am already looking into licensing requirements and job options. With just the little bit of research that I have done so far, it seems that Massachusetts seems like a GREAT state for PA practice!

If you are a PA with current or past work experience in the Boston area, I would love to connect with you to discuss what the PA-employment atmosphere is like. I have experience in Emergency Medicine and Gyn, however I would really like to use this move to switch my career trajectory into more of a primary care setting. Any thoughts on the larger practice groups (Harvard Vanguard, etc) as it seems that they have the bulk of job availabilities? Or even better...know of any primary care practices that are considering to add a PA?

Any info appreciated -- on the thread or private message.

Thanks in advance!

not a mass. PA but I do have family ties there. great state to practice as a pa and boston is a really fun city.

we have several mass. pa's here on the forum, hopefully some of them can give you some guidance. I know the UMass hospital system uses lots of pa's as does harvard vanguard. with 2 new pa programs openoing up there(tufts, b.u.) your timing is good to beat the rush to find jobs.

was an okay place to practice till this month when the new law went into effect - now it is great!

I am in extreme western MA (1 hour East of albany ny)

Jobs out here are everywhere - but no a commute to boston (2.5 hours)

unsure in the boston area

UMASS does use a lot

ALWAYS looking to hire on the Cape (depending on where you are going to live this might be somewhat close)

We now have:

no # restriction on the number of PA's a doc can supervise

no requirement to put SP name on scripts (pharmacy's and service providers can no longer just put everything under the doc)

Insurance companies HAVE to credential us and list us a PCP's (will in the long run allow us to data mine the $value we bring to a practice)

Can write schedule II-VI

no cosign requirements except Scheudule II have to be reviewed with SP with in 96 hours (not cosign, just he has to see the chart or agree with script - simple really)

STILL can't order a darn diaper or VNA home services though (this is country wide as it is a medicare regulation)

Check out the MAPA web site - they have jobs on there too

Sorry for the rapid-fire multiple posts! Jeff, I didn't see your post until I had already replied to EMEDPA.

What you're describing sounds fabulous! It sounds as though my career will make a big upgrade, while my weather situation will make quite a downgrade (I am not really looking forward to have to experience winters again....)

Thanks!

Boston is a great place to be a PA. There are a fair amount of options and patient population is neat because of the multiple top notch academic medical centers in such a small radius.

I know that both Harvard Vanguard and Brigham are hiring in primary care. I've heard good things about HVMA as far as collegial atmosphere between PAs and MDs. The Brigham is the Brigham meaning that there's a mix of academic snobbery AND cutting edge medicine/practice/caring for patients depending on where you are.

MGH is more NP centric though they do hire PAs.

If you're looking to start working in spring when you move, I'd be applying around now as most primary practices here are affiliated with hospitals (besides HVMA), and it generally takes 3 months to credential even if you aren't going to be practicing inpatient medicine.

I always recommend checking indeed.com for PA jobs. I've never found one that wasn't posted there.

Welcome to east coast!

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This post caught my eye since I too am moving from CA to Boston after 4 years of practice in CA. How has your job been so far? I am also wanting to find out about how long did your license take to get and how long credentialing took at MGH to get as well. I will be submitting my MA license app soon. We will be moving around end of June to beginning of July. So I think I will start to apply in the next few weeks. Oh and just out of curiosity, were you paid for 1) interview expenses to go out there and/or 2) for relocation? When I came from TX to CA, I didn't get any of this, but I am not sure if it varies.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived