NHSC position salaries

First, I'm just beginning to research ways to pay for PA school and I have a question for anyone who has gone the NHSC repayment route. As I understand, you work at a designated site for them (with pay) and they repay up to a certain amount of loans that you have accrued. Do these underserved sites pay anything close to what a new PA could make in a better market?

• 1 month later...

A site can't pay you less because you are receiving NHSC loan repayment but sometimes facilities in underserved areas don't have the funds to pay you the same as a place in a large urban area. On the flip side, rural positions often pay very well because they badly need providers. You'll just have to find a job that fits you.

I am currently applying for my 3rd year with NHSC. It is a great program, and the help with loans is a HUGE help. My job is primary care in a rural area and we get paid average to above average. And if I factor in the tax free 60K I got to put toward my loans....I *made* more than some friends in Emergency Medicine. Just remember, working at a qualified NHSC site does not mean you will get the loan repayment. You have to apply and hope for the best.

I am currently applying for my 3rd year with NHSC. It is a great program, and the help with loans is a HUGE help. My job is primary care in a rural area and we get paid average to above average. And if I factor in the tax free 60K I got to put toward my loans....I *made* more than some friends in Emergency Medicine. Just remember, working at a qualified NHSC site does not mean you will get the loan repayment. You have to apply and hope for the best.

When should I start really looking into/applying for this? I don't start school until the fall and I've checked this program out on the website but hit a dead end when it said to contact your state's program office. It seems like you can't apply until you're about ready to graduate. Is this correct? It seems like a good deal...

You can't apply for loan repayment until after you graduate, pass the PANCE and start a job in a qualified site. Unless things have changed.

I went to school on the NHSC scholarship which you apply for after you've accepted. Applications open in the spring (around April) and awards are given out late September/early October. With the scholarship, your tuition is paid up front as well as a monthly stipend and "other reasonable costs".

My salary is more than fair in my opinion. But remember, there's more to a good job than the salary you make. Sure, I have classmates that are making a lot more than me (doing other specialties). But I'm debt free AND I love my site and will continue working here when my "time" is up. In addition to my salary, I get four weeks of vacation, an additional week off for CME, reimbursement for joining up to two professional organizations, $1000 towards CME, matching funds in my 401K, all my licensing fees paid, etc. Plus, I love that I'm serving the underserved and have some amazing colleagues.

Some things that people don't understand about the NHSC: 1. The site that hires you had nothing to do with your loan repayment scholarship. The federal government is paying your tuition/loans. Your site pays your salary. And sites are required to pay you the going rate for the community. Your tuition/loan repayment is NOT deducted from your salary. They are separate things. 2. The NHSC does not send you somewhere. With the scholarship, they provide a consultant to help you if you need to. And if you cannot find a job on your own, they'll certainly point you in the right direction. With the loan repayment, you find your own job with a site that qualifies and the apply.

The NHSC has an excellent website and support staff (it is getting more and more user friendly/customer oriented). I recommend checking there to have your questions answered: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

Woodsters, does working in this type of setting count towards a federal retirement like the VA does? I'm wanting to do the Navy after I finish school, however, I'm not sure if I will do 20. I've been looking at other civilian options that will still count towards a full 20 retirement.

I've been working for a year at a HPSA score of 16. It took 9 months for my loan repayment to be approved. The contract I have with my site is different from the one I have with the NHSC. So, in order to fulfill my NHSC contract I have to stay with my site almost a year longer than my original contract with my site. My site has worked me to the bone, they consider loan repayment into my salary although they are not supposed to. Just have a smart head when you start applying for jobs. This was my first job right out of school and my mindset was different than it should have been. I think the NHSC is a great resource and worth it, but you have to be smart about what sites you chose. I have some friends in the NHSC that get paid over 20k more than I do to practice in a rural community 20 miles away from mine who aren't nearly as busy as where I work. I am working on a transfer through the NHSC and they have been helpful, not perfect, but at least understanding. I am trying to find a site to stay with long after my "time" with the NHSC is done.

Also, be careful on your loans. I wouldn't consolidate them, I know people who have not been able to participate because of this. Good luck!

Also, be careful on your loans. I wouldn't consolidate them, I know people who have not been able to participate because of this. Good luck!

That's only a problem if someone consolidates student loans with non-education loans. Consolidation of student loans is not disqualifying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what types of student loans are out there, but NHSC covered all my stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized) and grad plus. I would assume ( you know what they say about that...) that undergrad educational loans would also be covered. Consolidation is ok on your educational loans as long as they are all for education. You have to submit your loans when you apply (quite the tedious process if you haven't consolidated, but I chose not to and am happy with that choice) and you would just submit them all at that time to give a grand total of debt.

I did not consolidate and have enjoyed my monthly payment going down as I wipe out a few loans a year with the NHSC money in lump sum and my extra money toward the principle. My coworker consolidated her loans prior to getting NHSC and she hasn't had any problems either.

Yes, it is a possibility that you can get a job that is NHSC qualified facility and be turned down for loan repayment. A new doc that started was turned down last year (our HPSA is 16). Not sure why it was, or if they are reapplying this year. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision, but I would never "count on NHSC money" just because you have loans and work in a qualified area.

Take the job because it is the right job for you and IF you qualify and get NHSC it is just icing on the cake. I make a great salary and have good benefits where I am, and also have amazing colleagues. There are some AMAZING sites out there, and some less than stellar ones...make sure you have the right fit before you sign on the dotted line for loan repayment. There are stiff penalties for not fulfilling your contract.

Hi,

I'm a current NHSC Scholar (graduate in August). Here is a link to NHSC job center http://www.nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/external/search/index.seam. You can type in to look for current PA jobs and it'll tell you HPSA and where there are current openings. As a scholar, I have a HPSA of 16 and above...loan repayment requires less, but the lower the number typically the more competition from other loan repayors. If you are not yet in school, have you thought about the scholarship (instead of waiting to be eligilble for repayment)?

Best

• 3 weeks later...

So I just received acceptance for a January 2014 start date. I get to go to PA school right out of my undergrad which is exactly what I hoped for but, unfortunately, I have little experience with loans and managing finances. I am really looking into the NHSC Scholarship because I want to work in undeserved areas and family practice is an interest of mine. However, I'm not 100% sure on this specialty! Taught in the medical model, I'm assuming if I hate family practice I can always switch BUT will it then be harder to get a job in another specialty? I know PAs that have switched but they usually switch from Cardiology or Surgery to family practice or internal medicine...

Also, I have a January start date and from glancing over the dates, this scholarship doesn't exactly match up. Has anyone had experience with this?

• 4 weeks later...

I am an NHSC Scholar who just graduated last Fall. If anyone wants any specific questions answered, pls pm me...about the Scholar program...applying, stipends, jobs, etc. I am 6 months into an NHSC job that I relocated cross-country for.

I am an NHSC Scholar who just graduated last Fall. If anyone wants any specific questions answered, pls pm me...about the Scholar program...applying, stipends, jobs, etc. I am 6 months into an NHSC job that I relocated cross-country for.

How was the application process, what to expect and look for when apply. Thank you very much and Congratulation

Thank you! The application process was fairly simple. I started the application process in May of 2010, and I hear that applications are online now so it should be even easier. I had to provide references and write the obligatory essay. At some point I was told by email that I was a finalist and soon after, I received an email stating that I had been selected as a scholar. I started PA school in July 2010 and did not hear from the NHSC until early November 2010 so I did have to originally take out loans but once I was awarded the scholarship, the NHSC paid the loans. My monthly stipend was sent to my checking account retroactively for the months prior to November. Each semester I had to verify that I was atill a PA student in good standing by having my school fill out and fax a stamped letter to the NHSC. Pretty painless stuff! In Nov or Dec of my clinical year, an area rep from the NHSC actually contacted me to get an idea of where I wanted to search for a job. He kept in touch with me throughout the entire jobhunt. It helps to have a financial aid person at your PA school that knows about the NHSC program; it just makes things easier for you. Feel free to ask any other questions and good luck!

Thank you! The application process was fairly simple. I started the application process in May of 2010, and I hear that applications are online now so it should be even easier. I had to provide references and write the obligatory essay. At some point I was told by email that I was a finalist and soon after, I received an email stating that I had been selected as a scholar. I started PA school in July 2010 and did not hear from the NHSC until early November 2010 so I did have to originally take out loans but once I was awarded the scholarship, the NHSC paid the loans. My monthly stipend was sent to my checking account retroactively for the months prior to November. Each semester I had to verify that I was atill a PA student in good standing by having my school fill out and fax a stamped letter to the NHSC. Pretty painless stuff! In Nov or Dec of my clinical year, an area rep from the NHSC actually contacted me to get an idea of where I wanted to search for a job. He kept in touch with me throughout the entire jobhunt. It helps to have a financial aid person at your PA school that knows about the NHSC program; it just makes things easier for you. Feel free to ask any other questions and good luck!

Archived