NHSC position salaries

Thank you! The application process was fairly simple. I started the application process in May of 2010, and I hear that applications are online now so it should be even easier. I had to provide references and write the obligatory essay. At some point I was told by email that I was a finalist and soon after, I received an email stating that I had been selected as a scholar. I started PA school in July 2010 and did not hear from the NHSC until early November 2010 so I did have to originally take out loans but once I was awarded the scholarship, the NHSC paid the loans. My monthly stipend was sent to my checking account retroactively for the months prior to November. Each semester I had to verify that I was atill a PA student in good standing by having my school fill out and fax a stamped letter to the NHSC. Pretty painless stuff! In Nov or Dec of my clinical year, an area rep from the NHSC actually contacted me to get an idea of where I wanted to search for a job. He kept in touch with me throughout the entire jobhunt. It helps to have a financial aid person at your PA school that knows about the NHSC program; it just makes things easier for you. Feel free to ask any other questions and good luck!

its too late for me now but how competitive was the NHSC scholarship? i didnt bother because i was barely competitive to get into PA school. Now that im graduating im looking for loan repayment. Anyone know how hard it is get the repayment especially with the recent cut backs

its too late for me now but how competitive was the NHSC scholarship? i didnt bother because i was barely competitive to get into PA school. Now that im graduating im looking for loan repayment. Anyone know how hard it is get the repayment especially with the recent cut backs

In the year that I was awarded the scholarship (2010), there were 6400 applicants and 207 of us were chosen. Grades do not matter to the NHSC...they are interested in applicants that show a desire to work in prinary care with an underserved population. I have not kept up with news concerning the repayment program but I urge you to apply if PC is your interest. My site is wonderful and I work with many providers (PAs & MDs) who are in the program and glad to have their loans/tuition paid.

In the year that I was awarded the scholarship (2010), there were 6400 applicants and 207 of us were chosen. Grades do not matter to the NHSC...they are interested in applicants that show a desire to work in prinary care with an underserved population. I have not kept up with news concerning the repayment program but I urge you to apply if PC is your interest. My site is wonderful and I work with many providers (PAs & MDs) who are in the program and glad to have their loans/tuition paid.

You can't apply for loan repayment until after you graduate, pass the PANCE and start a job in a qualified site. Unless things have changed.

I went to school on the NHSC scholarship which you apply for after you've accepted. Applications open in the spring (around April) and awards are given out late September/early October. With the scholarship, your tuition is paid up front as well as a monthly stipend and "other reasonable costs".

My salary is more than fair in my opinion. But remember, there's more to a good job than the salary you make. Sure, I have classmates that are making a lot more than me (doing other specialties). But I'm debt free AND I love my site and will continue working here when my "time" is up. In addition to my salary, I get four weeks of vacation, an additional week off for CME, reimbursement for joining up to two professional organizations, $1000 towards CME, matching funds in my 401K, all my licensing fees paid, etc. Plus, I love that I'm serving the underserved and have some amazing colleagues.

Some things that people don't understand about the NHSC: 1. The site that hires you had nothing to do with your loan repayment scholarship. The federal government is paying your tuition/loans. Your site pays your salary. And sites are required to pay you the going rate for the community. Your tuition/loan repayment is NOT deducted from your salary. They are separate things. 2. The NHSC does not send you somewhere. With the scholarship, they provide a consultant to help you if you need to. And if you cannot find a job on your own, they'll certainly point you in the right direction. With the loan repayment, you find your own job with a site that qualifies and the apply.

The NHSC has an excellent website and support staff (it is getting more and more user friendly/customer oriented). I recommend checking there to have your questions answered: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

Thank you woodsters for helping to clear up some of the misconceptions on this forum concerning the NHSC programs! I too am a scholar working at a community health clinic and loving it. The entire process from being awarded the scholarship to relocating for my first job was painless and totally paid by the gov! I am debt free....and still amazed that more students refuse to take advantage of this opportunity...

You can't apply for loan repayment until after you graduate, pass the PANCE and start a job in a qualified site. Unless things have changed.

I went to school on the NHSC scholarship which you apply for after you've accepted. Applications open in the spring (around April) and awards are given out late September/early October. With the scholarship, your tuition is paid up front as well as a monthly stipend and "other reasonable costs".

My salary is more than fair in my opinion. But remember, there's more to a good job than the salary you make. Sure, I have classmates that are making a lot more than me (doing other specialties). But I'm debt free AND I love my site and will continue working here when my "time" is up. In addition to my salary, I get four weeks of vacation, an additional week off for CME, reimbursement for joining up to two professional organizations, $1000 towards CME, matching funds in my 401K, all my licensing fees paid, etc. Plus, I love that I'm serving the underserved and have some amazing colleagues.

Some things that people don't understand about the NHSC: 1. The site that hires you had nothing to do with your loan repayment scholarship. The federal government is paying your tuition/loans. Your site pays your salary. And sites are required to pay you the going rate for the community. Your tuition/loan repayment is NOT deducted from your salary. They are separate things. 2. The NHSC does not send you somewhere. With the scholarship, they provide a consultant to help you if you need to. And if you cannot find a job on your own, they'll certainly point you in the right direction. With the loan repayment, you find your own job with a site that qualifies and the apply.

The NHSC has an excellent website and support staff (it is getting more and more user friendly/customer oriented). I recommend checking there to have your questions answered: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

Thank you woodsters for helping to clear up some of the misconceptions on this forum concerning the NHSC programs! I too am a scholar working at a community health clinic and loving it. The entire process from being awarded the scholarship to relocating for my first job was painless and totally paid by the gov! I am debt free....and still amazed that more students refuse to take advantage of this opportunity...

A big THANK YOU to all of the posters here answering questions about the NHSC programs. I'm an applicant for the scholarship this cycle.

I would really like to know how important it is to be a "Disadvantaged Student" or someone who qualifies for EFN (Extreme Financial Need)? According to the NHSC website, applicants with EFN are given the highest priority, followed by students with a Disadvantaged Background. For those who received the scholarship last year, did you qualify as Disadvantaged? I'm hearing varying opinions on this subject. There seems to be a group that believes it's not even worth applying if you are not Disadvantaged or have EFN. But, it seems that there are some that received the award without that status. A quick p

As if getting accepted into PA school was not challenging enough ;-) the NHSC scholarship appears to be extremely competitive. Over 2,000 applicants for ~200 awards. Daunting indeed. One of the customer service reps at NHSC told me there could be more than double the number of applicants. Who knows if that is true or not.

^^ I applied for the NHSC scholarship this cycle as well. It is insanely competitive! I am not a DS and I do not qualify for EFN. I live in MT and I have 2 years experience working for the Indian Health Service. I hope this helps! It would be a miracle if I got it! I am not sure what other people's stats are, but I think most applicants that are awarded have tons of volunteer experience.

I'm at a FQHC and waiting to hear back about NHSC. My salary is actually higher than many of my classmates in the region and I'm a new grad. Salaries in this region are low overall and I'm making about the national average. Do not settle for a lower salary for loan repayment. The work is hard, probably harder than what many of your friends will be doing who didn't go into Family Med in an underserved area. You have to want to do it. You also have to be OK not getting loan repayment. I have no idea if I will or not.

• 2 months later...

I am an NHSC Scholar that was not a disadvantaged student. I did, however, have experience working with the underserved. That is what they like to see; they want to be fairly certain that the applicant will make working in underserved areas a lifelong committment, not just to get tuition/loans paid. I was far from disadvantaged when I applied and I was granted the scholarship. In the year that I received it, there were 6400 applicants and 207 awarded. So that 2,000 number seems small to me. It's a great scholarship. I am now ten months into my 2-year committment and loving it.

Archived