PAs in OR now officially Physician Associates

3 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I want to be happy but its a difference that really doesn't make a difference.

words matter, as my friend Dave Mittman likes to say. This change is more for patients, legislators, and HR folks who don't know what a PA is and only see the word assistant. When I was in PA school in the early 90s the thought was that this change was imminent. It took 30 years, but the tide is turning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

words matter, as my friend Dave Mittman likes to say. This change is more for patients, legislators, and HR folks who don't know what a PA is and only see the word assistant. When I was in PA school in the early 90s the thought was that this change was imminent. It took 30 years, but the tide is turning. 

yea Dave and I have that conversations many times and he is right. I'm still pouting because this isn't (IMHO) where title change should have gone. Basically I think we have polished a turd.

We are seeing legislation that amounts to independent practice and that is that will keep us viable in the marketplace.

• Like 3

Legislation is certainly very helpful, but I was surprised (and really shouldn't have been), that legislative changes aren't near enough.  Those changes will have to become instantiated into hospital bylaws and payer policies.  For example, one state where I practice is AZ, which recently implemented legislation that PA's with> 8,000 hours of experience now have collaboration agreements, not supervisory agreements.  This is the same  as the collaboration for NP's.  Similar situation in CO, where I also practice.  I asked my employer when the requirements for having all my charts co-signed would go away, as even the new grad NP's don't have to have co-signers.  The response: it depends upon the facilities and payers - so, no change for me.  

Not what I was hoping for.  I just want to calibrate expectations that winning state law changes is an important victory, but there are more battles to fight down the road.

10 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Legislation is certainly very helpful, but I was surprised (and really shouldn't have been), that legislative changes aren't near enough.  Those changes will have to become instantiated into hospital bylaws and payer policies.  For example, one state where I practice is AZ, which recently implemented legislation that PA's with> 8,000 hours of experience now have collaboration agreements, not supervisory agreements.  This is the same  as the collaboration for NP's.  Similar situation in CO, where I also practice.  I asked my employer when the requirements for having all my charts co-signed would go away, as even the new grad NP's don't have to have co-signers.  The response: it depends upon the facilities and payers - so, no change for me.  

Not what I was hoping for.  I just want to calibrate expectations that winning state law changes is an important victory, but there are more battles to fight down the road.

I practice in both OR and WA. Both now have passed collaborative models, so I am sponsored by EM groups, but do not have to have any listed sponsoring physicians, which is nice.

WA has not had chart review for ever, but I have had to have "backup" listed in the form of the hospitalists at my solo gigs. In 11 years, I have called the hospitalist exactly twice. Once when an OB doc would only accept a pt in transfer if I went with them(and the hospitalist covered the ED while I was gone) and another time when we had a ridiculous # of high acuity pts all at once and I asked him to come in and start admitting folks whose workups were in progress, but obviously could not go home.

In Oregon, one of my jobs required 100% chart review(not required by law) and we just got rid of that with the move to collaboration. The other never required chart review, just quarterly chart review for all docs and PAs. 

I got my new Physician Associate IDs for Oregon ordered already. 😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, sas5814 said:

We are seeing legislation that amounts to independent practice and that is that will keep us viable in the marketplace.

I thing I wonder about that is this: most places will want something like 8000 hours to allow independent practice. Once this happens, who is ever going to want to hire a new grad? How are they supposed to get started?

1 hour ago, CAAdmission said:

I thing I wonder about that is this: most places will want something like 8000 hours to allow independent practice. Once this happens, who is ever going to want to hire a new grad? How are they supposed to get started?

Surgeons who want someone impressionable and people who don't want to pay for an experienced PA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SedRate said:

Surgeons who want someone impressionable and people who don't want to pay for an experienced PA. 

yup. new grads will go to surgical specialties,  uc and primary care and experienced grads will own the other specialties. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Legislation is just the first step but a critical one. If the legislation doesn't change then every organization can fall back on "its the law". Changing the hearts and minds of organizations will take effort and time.

I am hearing the first tiny squeaks of "people should practice at the top of their license." It is simply becoming a matter of need and financial reality.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TeddyRucpin said:

This is awesome to see. I am wondering what other states have put forward legislation on the name change. 

There is a thread on the huddle about this as well. Michigan, I think...

• Like 2