Know your worth especially new grads!

Warning: It’s a long post. It’s not my intention to dwell, just want to share what I went through so that others don’t feel alone or are in the same position.

I just wanted to share what happened to me this past week during/after a job interview. Just a little background, I am a new grad who applied to a surgical specialty position in July that was initially listed in May. I figured, if it’s still posted then it’s worth applying to since I had a personal interest in this field and was a new grad (which they specified they were open to). I received notice they wanted to interview me in mid-August and I went in for the 5 person panel interview, lunch, and tour of 2 different facilities on 9/1 (the soonest day they were able to get everyone together at this specific location since they claimed they only interview candidates on certain Wednesdays and Fridays during lunch). Going into this interview, I was sitting on 2 other good offers (VERY fortunate :)), but knew I wanted this particular job if given the slightest chance. I was very transparent with where I stood (other job offers but high interest in this job, scheduled to take the PANCE 9/5, expected start timeline which would be right after I get my license etc). During the interview, I was told by the supervising doc that she preferred a new grad and listed reasons why. She explained I had great experience through my education but also personally since I had experience through a family member. Also the others on the panel expressed multiple times that I would be a great fit and they would be very lucky to have me on board. They even went as far as having the head NP of APPs come and talk to me about the organization, and their goals if I was interested in becoming more involved in advocacy for APPs. I was given contact info from 4 of the people attending this interview if I had more questions, etc. I asked questions including ones about the organization and the benefits (which the person who scheduled the interview told me she was going to send it to me prior to the meeting since she usually sends it to all candidates being interviewed). I was told that is a question for the executive director (who was not present that day) was on vacation and I would hear from him once he gets back next week after the holiday. Right when I got home, I sent a thank you email to everyone right after and the supervising doc responded also reiterating the same thing and wished me luck on the exam. 

Fast forward to this past week, I got no word from anyone. I figured I would just reach out on Friday because I was really interested but holding off on pursuing other offers. Finally, a lady (who was not part of the interview) emailed me and said that she contacted the executive director and the position was already given to someone else and they accepted. In my head, “was anyone ever going to notify me of this if I didn’t reach out?”.  I’m just a little shocked because of all the comments/reassurance I got during the interview and then to not even give me the courtesy of just simply saying that. The lady I spoke with said they really liked me but didn’t go any further than that. Again, why didn’t they notify me when this happened? I spent roughly 2 hours during this interview right before my PANCE. I clearly would not have done that if I was not that interested in this position. Ultimately, I am sad but know everything works out for the best. It is just hard to get this kind of news when you are 1. a new grad getting ready to start in the field  2. still anxiously waiting for PANCE results.

I guess a few things to take away:

1. Know your worth. Be transparent and respectful. If you don’t get that back, then it’s probably not meant to be. 
  2. If you don’t hear back from a job in the time they specified, it’s ok to reach out because it’s fair to know where you stand.
  3. For people hiring, I know ultimately it’s business but please don’t leave potential candidates hanging without any notice. 
  4. It’s ok to feel hurt. You will not always get feedback/responses in these types of situations. You have to remind yourself of what you can offer and sometimes the final decision has nothing to do with you. Everything works out for the best. 

If you read all of this, big kudos to you. I wish everyone the best in their careers!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Interesting post. 

as a crusty old PA thus annoys me.   HR and companies are so self serving and self interested that even common decency is no longer followed.  

you handled it exceptionally well with the thank you’s and challenging questions.  Truly professional and other people (new and old) need realize these courtesy items are required as a professional. 

Admittedly I am jaded at this time but corporate hospital medicine is the worst at this time.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, iconic said:

Personally I find new grads preferable over those with other specialized experience who bring their “baggage” into a new specialty

I'm interested in hearing what you mean by "baggage." Like burnout sequelae? Translating previous specialized experience to the new specialty as if it's the same? 

I'm all about new-grad love but new grads take time and energy. Not everyone is keen on making that kind of investment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, at1313 said:

Warning: It’s a long post. It’s not my intention to dwell, just want to share what I went through so that others don’t feel alone or are in the same position.

I just wanted to share what happened to me this past week during/after a job interview. Just a little background, I am a new grad who applied to a surgical specialty position in July that was initially listed in May. I figured, if it’s still posted then it’s worth applying to since I had a personal interest in this field and was a new grad (which they specified they were open to). I received notice they wanted to interview me in mid-August and I went in for the 5 person panel interview, lunch, and tour of 2 different facilities on 9/1 (the soonest day they were able to get everyone together at this specific location since they claimed they only interview candidates on certain Wednesdays and Fridays during lunch). Going into this interview, I was sitting on 2 other good offers (VERY fortunate :)), but knew I wanted this particular job if given the slightest chance. I was very transparent with where I stood (other job offers but high interest in this job, scheduled to take the PANCE 9/5, expected start timeline which would be right after I get my license etc). During the interview, I was told by the supervising doc that she preferred a new grad and listed reasons why. She explained I had great experience through my education but also personally since I had experience through a family member. Also the others on the panel expressed multiple times that I would be a great fit and they would be very lucky to have me on board. They even went as far as having the head NP of APPs come and talk to me about the organization, and their goals if I was interested in becoming more involved in advocacy for APPs. I was given contact info from 4 of the people attending this interview if I had more questions, etc. I asked questions including ones about the organization and the benefits (which the person who scheduled the interview told me she was going to send it to me prior to the meeting since she usually sends it to all candidates being interviewed). I was told that is a question for the executive director (who was not present that day) was on vacation and I would hear from him once he gets back next week after the holiday. Right when I got home, I sent a thank you email to everyone right after and the supervising doc responded also reiterating the same thing and wished me luck on the exam. 

Fast forward to this past week, I got no word from anyone. I figured I would just reach out on Friday because I was really interested but holding off on pursuing other offers. Finally, a lady (who was not part of the interview) emailed me and said that she contacted the executive director and the position was already given to someone else and they accepted. In my head, “was anyone ever going to notify me of this if I didn’t reach out?”.  I’m just a little shocked because of all the comments/reassurance I got during the interview and then to not even give me the courtesy of just simply saying that. The lady I spoke with said they really liked me but didn’t go any further than that. Again, why didn’t they notify me when this happened? I spent roughly 2 hours during this interview right before my PANCE. I clearly would not have done that if I was not that interested in this position. Ultimately, I am sad but know everything works out for the best. It is just hard to get this kind of news when you are 1. a new grad getting ready to start in the field  2. still anxiously waiting for PANCE results.

I guess a few things to take away:

1. Know your worth. Be transparent and respectful. If you don’t get that back, then it’s probably not meant to be. 
  2. If you don’t hear back from a job in the time they specified, it’s ok to reach out because it’s fair to know where you stand.
  3. For people hiring, I know ultimately it’s business but please don’t leave potential candidates hanging without any notice. 
  4. It’s ok to feel hurt. You will not always get feedback/responses in these types of situations. You have to remind yourself of what you can offer and sometimes the final decision has nothing to do with you. Everything works out for the best. 

If you read all of this, big kudos to you. I wish everyone the best in their careers!  🙂

Sorry that happened. It's happened to most all of us at some point. Congrats on having multiple offers, which is basically unheard of at this time it seems. Did you end up taking one of them? 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:58 PM, SedRate said:

I'm interested in hearing what you mean by "baggage." Like burnout sequelae? Translating previous specialized experience to the new specialty as if it's the same? 

I'm all about new-grad love but new grads take time and energy. Not everyone is keen on making that kind of investment. 

Baggage as in habits from previous specialty. I’ve seen plenty of FM and a few neuro people switch into psych only to manage PCP issues and neuro issues of patients while ignoring the reasons the patients are seeing them in the first place in their new specialty. 

On 9/10/2023 at 12:02 AM, SedRate said:

Sorry that happened. It's happened to most all of us at some point. Congrats on having multiple offers, which is basically unheard of at this time it seems. Did you end up taking one of them? 

Thank you! I am still trying to figure out if I want to accept one of these offers or continue applying. I just found out I passed the PANCE so now I can think more clearly without the weight of anxiety/stress of the exam 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1