What should I expect in a board evaluation for licensure?

So, my licensure application has been set aside for evaluation. I have several misdemeanors on my record, all of which are over 13 year old, and none of which were violent or sexual or anything else really bad. There are, however, two drug paraphernalia charges. My question is this - what should I expect in the initial interview? Are they going to ask for all my mental health records? Has anyone else gone through anything like this before?

• Administrator

It will depend on the board's whim, I suppose.  They could ask for anything they feel is reasonable, and I suppose you would have the choice to provide it, not provide it and not get licensed, or sue them.

You might be better off consulting an attorney who has represented other medical professionals before this particular board, because I don't know that any of us can get more specific than that.

My best guess street smarts....maybe they ask for police reports or court documentation showing the final disposition of each charge.  They would see on your background check you've had nothing for >13 years.  Have you been asked to come in for formal interview? 

4 hours ago, rev ronin said:

It will depend on the board's whim, I suppose.  They could ask for anything they feel is reasonable, and I suppose you would have the choice to provide it, not provide it and not get licensed, or sue them.

You might be better off consulting an attorney who has represented other medical professionals before this particular board, because I don't know that any of us can get more specific than that.

This!

Licensure boards are notoriously finicky. At the time of my licensure, I had a few arrests that were 7 years old; related to my prior history of substance abuse. I provided copious documentation and letters of reference and it was stressful at the time but in the end I was licensed without restrictions. I had an attorney who ended up not doing much other than give advice on how to proceed but I would suggest retaining one.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the state.  I couldn't see from your profile where you are from, but some are reasonable if you are honest, others like mine will have a knee jerk reaction and most likely give you several years of monitoring by the board.

I think it really comes down to your boards leadership ability and ability to think critically, not their desire to protect the holy grail of the PA license...