non-clinical jobs

• Administrator

That's a pretty broad target. PA Education is the most obvious go-to non-clinical job, but will generally require an earned doctorate soon if it doesn't already.

Research, sales, writing... lots of places where you can go, so the big questions are "Why?" and "What do you want to do instead of what you're currently doing?"

Agree with above:

1. PA education

2. Other education: Allied health, community college biology, chem etc (I taught a Bio 200 course at a local community college one year and it was a blast --had offers for full time!)

3. Administration (hospital, clinic, etc)--AAPA/NCCPA occasionally has opportunities

4. Drug/Pharma rep -Industry consultant --I did some consulting for Pfizer at one time and their full time PAs were doing quite well!

5. Insurance reviewer (United HC was hiring PA reviewers at one time)

6.  Regional Dept of health opportunities

7.  Work for a CME company, ROSH, etc

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, rev ronin said:

That's a pretty broad target. PA Education is the most obvious go-to non-clinical job, but will generally require an earned doctorate soon if it doesn't already.

Research, sales, writing... lots of places where you can go, so the big questions are "Why?" and "What do you want to do instead of what you're currently doing?"

Fortunately there are still a fair amount of PA educator jobs that don't require a doctorate. Most require a masters and x years of clinical experience. Probably the easiest way to get started is to volunteer to give some guest lectures.

The big plus for me as an educator is that every year, I get a year older but the students are always about 24 and enthusiastic. And teaching half-time and practicing 1-2 days per week is a good mix for me; no two days are quite the same.

Rev poses a good question: why? In the end, it feels better to move towards something you enjoy (even on an experimental basis) than just try to move away from something that you don't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 10:56 PM, CornellSPA said:

Agree with above:

1. PA education

2. Other education: Allied health, community college biology, chem etc (I taught a Bio 200 course at a local community college one year and it was a blast --had offers for full time!)

3. Administration (hospital, clinic, etc)--AAPA/NCCPA occasionally has opportunities

4. Drug/Pharma rep -Industry consultant --I did some consulting for Pfizer at one time and their full time PAs were doing quite well!

5. Insurance reviewer (United HC was hiring PA reviewers at one time)

6.  Regional Dept of health opportunities

7.  Work for a CME company, ROSH, etc

For the jobs with industries such as Pfizer, what would be the search engine terminology that you would use to see if there is an opening?