2023-2024 MEDEX Application Cycle

On 6/22/2023 at 7:09 PM, AKJustinS said:

It’s nerve racking for sure, waiting to hear if I make it to faculty review. What sites did you pick? I went Tacoma and Anchorage, was told MEDEX loves military at Tacoma, but I live in Alaska so that may limit me.

I chose Anchorage only because I live here. I’ve been here for 12+ years now, so I’m hoping to be one of the few they choose.

I hear they “prioritize” AK students for the anchorage site, but so far from what I heard is most of the class last cycle was made up of out-of-state students. 

On 6/24/2023 at 5:51 PM, AspiringPA1001 said:

I chose Anchorage only because I live here. I’ve been here for 12+ years now, so I’m hoping to be one of the few they choose.

I hear they “prioritize” AK students for the anchorage site, but so far from what I heard is most of the class last cycle was made up of out-of-state students. 

I've heard they prioritize AK students as well. I have a feeling they will ignore my Tacoma choice and ask me to interview for Anchorage since I've been in AK over 20 years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, pocketsizedPA said:

Sorry, I’m new to this. Does everyone get passed to faculty review? Is initial screening just making sure you have all the pre-reqs? Thank you! Been checking this every day! 

Not everyone, if you are missing items, hours, etc it will be rejected. Once at the faculty review, they decide who gets interviewed.

Edited by AKJustinS
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

did you guys use the max 5000 character limit for the primary care/family medicine/rural/underserved essay? I am only at 3000 and have 5 paragraphs and I really don't know what else to write without babbling, just wondering if its suggested to use the entire character count 

I am applying for Tacoma and Seattle

8 hours ago, bwienz5 said:

did you guys use the max 5000 character limit for the primary care/family medicine/rural/underserved essay? I am only at 3000 and have 5 paragraphs and I really don't know what else to write without babbling, just wondering if its suggested to use the entire character count 

I am applying for Tacoma and Seattle

I read that 5000 as an absolute far end limit to keep people from sending in novellas. I know some people who say that those character limits should not be a goal. You're talking about people reading over thousands of these applications, and so someone who has the 5000 characters filled out is going to be a chore to read, doubly so if it becomes apparent it is being filled with fluff to try to hit that limit. Say what you need to say in a concise and original manner, then move on.

1 hour ago, cmcnamara said:

I read that 5000 as an absolute far end limit to keep people from sending in novellas. I know some people who say that those character limits should not be a goal. You're talking about people reading over thousands of these applications, and so someone who has the 5000 characters filled out is going to be a chore to read, doubly so if it becomes apparent it is being filled with fluff to try to hit that limit. Say what you need to say in a concise and original manner, then move on.

thank you for your response! This is what I figured, but I wanted to make sure I wasnt putting myself at a disadvantage by not using the whole thing. I definitely felt like i would be rambling after i finished what I needed to say. I know sometimes people encourage using the entire character count but that seems excessive in this case. thanks :))

4 hours ago, cmcnamara said:

I will admit I was closer to that 5,000-character limit (4,500ish), but I have also worked in rural/underserved medicine for almost ten years, so I had lots of stuff to talk about. I think mine came out to just over a page. Hopefully, as long as we were all concise and answered the question, it hopefully won't be too awful to read.

On 8/23/2023 at 6:54 PM, Chaoticscissortail said:

I will admit I was closer to that 5,000-character limit (4,500ish), but I have also worked in rural/underserved medicine for almost ten years, so I had lots of stuff to talk about. I think mine came out to just over a page. Hopefully, as long as we were all concise and answered the question, it hopefully won't be too awful to read.

Yeah if you have a lot to say about it, that's fine because it's still in a "need to say" sorta deal. If it starts to look like you're just trying to get to 5000 any means necessary then that is the problem.

• Upvote 1