Which union do you join?

The pay scale needs to have increases past the 10-year mark, or else they will lose the experienced people. We all need a raise, across the board, and if the revenue-earners are saying it too, maybe admin will listen. I hope we don’t need to strike, but the nurses union just had to go through a couple rounds and they did strike, for 3 days. I feel pretty okay with it all. 

• Upvote 1

I worked for kaiser when the PAs and NPs unionized 20 years ago. it was the right choice. $10/hr raises overnight( from $24-34/hr), 2 guaranteed raises/yr even if you were per diem and worked 1 shift/mo, sabbatical leave, etc. Well worth the $14/mo in union dues

Just checked the most recent contract. That same job now pays $97.40/hr. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, EMEDPA said:

I worked for kaiser when the PAs and NPs unionized 20 years ago. it was the right choice. $10/hr raises overnight( from $24-34/hr), 2 guaranteed raises/yr even if you were per diem and worked 1 shift/mo, sabbatical leave, etc. Well worth the $14/mo in union dues

Just checked the most recent contract. That same job now pays $97.40/hr. 

Pay is now up to 120/hr for most experienced full time benefitted position specialty/surgical PA. Union dues are up now as well (about 150/month) but still well worth it.

7 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Pay is now up to 120/hr for most experienced full time benefitted position specialty/surgical PA. Union dues are up now as well (about 150/month) but still well worth it.

Growing up I disliked unions. 
now I fully support them in health care. Someone has to push back against these insane corp policies that are only focused on paying admin salaries and keeping the money flowing.  

• Upvote 1