CME category 2

Hi

I am logging my CME credits. This is my first time doing this on the NCCPA's website. I have been a preceptor for a NP student. I have spent about 500 hours in a span of 8 months being her preceptor. Can I count this towards my CME or does it have to be a PA student for them to count? If I can count them towards my CME, does it go in category 1 or 2? Is there a maximum number of CME credits I can claim for this?

I only claim the number of hours actually spent one on one with my students for Cat 2. (I treat it like journal reading: one hour reading equals one hour Cat 2.) But I usually end up forgetting how much so I claim 40 hours per student rotation, which is probably way under but like is said above, we can only utilize a total of 50 Cat 2 anyway. Precepting also allows one to claim Cat 1 credit. The school sends me a cert for Cat 1 credits at the end of the year which is usually something like 1.5 credits per student rotation. There is a max to Cat 1 for precepting; not sure what it is. 

Edited by SedRate
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SedRate said:

I only claim the number of hours actually spent one on one with my students. But I usually end up forgetting how much so I claim 40 hours per student rotation, which is probably way under but like is said above, we can only utilize a total of 50 Cat 2 anyway. The school sends me a cert for Cat 1 credits at the end of the year which is usually something like 1.5 credits per student. There is a max to Cat 1 for precepting; not sure what it is. 

Pretty sure AAPA did away with the cap (or effectively did away with the cap by making it greater than 25 hours/year) for precepting Cat 1 at last HOD.