Alternate Route into PA School

So after much research and time spent reading posts on this forum, I figure that the smartest way into PA school with a low GPA would be to return to school for another degree or to work towards a certificate in Lab Science, Nursing, Occupational Therapist, Radiologic Technologist or another field in order to somewhat boost my GPA while ensuring myself a decent career at the end.

However, I have heard that it could be quite difficult to go back to school for another degree while already having a bachelors degree. Is this true? If i am looking to go at this route... where should i start?

Some of the programs I have looked over actually also require the minimum GPA of 3.00

That's a good idea. & Maybe work part time as an ER scribe or CNA or something while you are taking classes if you can (make sure if you do ED scribe that your school counts it as direct HCE because a lot of schools don't but UF does).

I know at UCF they havea bridge program for a bachelors in nursing for people who already have bachelors so something like that would be a good idea

Also just wanted to mention another disadvantage of going back to school that I found out the hard way... It may vary in different states, but in Virginia you are no longer eligible for grants or any kind of federal monies if you have a BA. So my whole postbac education has been out of my own pocket. Just something to consider.

Was trying to edit my post but can't on my phone..

Rad tech programs are very competitive to get into as well; just because it's offered at a junior college doesn't mean it's easy to get into. My sister is going this route and they only accept 12 students from the entire southwest portion of the state. They expect applicants to have a perfect 4.0 as well as lots of shadowing hours.

Guest carolanimal

OP, I was in a similar situation 5 years ago. I think I started out with something like a 3.1 cGPA or something so it wasn't completely terrible, but definitely not good enough for PA school. I became a respiratory therapist and I'm applying this year. In addition to making something like a 3.98 for RT school and making mostly A's on my pre-reqs, I took tons of additional science courses online to boost my GPA. I've taken pharmacology, pathophysiology, human nutrition, physics, etc....made A's in them. I've gotten some interest and even interviews to schools I didn't think I had a chance at. If I were you, I would shadow different PA's to get a feel of where in medicine would appeal to you. For instance, if you shadow a surgery PA and you think you'd like it, do a surgical tech program and work in the OR. This way you can make contacts for future jobs and get good LOR's from MD's who know you well. One of the PA's I shadowed in surgery was a surgical tech, graduated PA school and then went back to work for the same doctor. The pulmonologist at work that wrote my LOR already told me he'd hire me for his group once I was done with PA school. And like JustSteve says, if I don't make it in this year, I have a good job that makes okay money for a single twenty-something year old and I can try again (crossing my fingers this won't happen). I'm assuming you're in a similar situation. Hope this helps!

That's a great option I also considered this. I know two people whom, chose this path and succeeded and obtained a degree in Nursing from University of Virgin Islands.

If your GPA sucks, why not just go Caribbean med school? Yes, it's more money, but if your GPA sucks and you think you can practice medicine, the most likely case is that you have new-found motivation supporting a perfectly fine underlying intellect.

If your GPA sucks, why not just go Caribbean med school? Yes, it's more money, but if your GPA sucks and you think you can practice medicine, the most likely case is that you have new-found motivation supporting a perfectly fine underlying intellect.

They will likely be rejected from the reputable Caribbean med schools. The "top 5" usually require 3.0+ GPA and MCAT.

Thanks for all the information that you guys could provide. I also did some research for myself and found that some paths (or stepping stones) would either require me to undergo a certificate program or schooling to obtain a AA or another BA. The paths that I researched were Medical Assistant, CNA, Surgical Technician, Radiologic Technician and obtaining a bachelors or associates degree in Lab Science. I was wondering if any of you had specific information or advice regarding one of these paths that would be helpful in choosing.

I am looking for something that would help me obtain a well-paying job at the end, as well as, provide me with courses that could increase my GPA.

PAMAC, how would I go about finding an accredited lab science program? ... I have heard that it is somewhat harder for those already possessing a degree to apply for these type of programs.

Also, what would you know about the path of Certified Nursing Assistant and how that may help someone in my position?

RN schools like traditional or accelerated BSN are not that difficult to get into. Take for me for example. Back when I graduated with my B.S. I did an extra semester of prereq classes for an MBA. About 2/3 the way through the semester I was offered a job that I could not turn down in my field that required me to move. I realized then that I was not interested in an MBA anymore and left school. The unfortunate thing was that I was past the drop/withdrawal date so got and F in 15 credits that semester. That killed my cGPA. I am in the long process of petitioning that semester. Even with that I still got into a BSN program because the admission process at the school where I am at just went off the GPA of 4 classes. ( A&P, Chem, and Stats) Since coming back to school I have taken 60+ credits including all PA school prereqs with about a 4.0. This has really helped my sGPA because all nursing classes are considered science. So in the event of not get into PA school, I will get into NP school instead. I would prefer PA school.

Archived