YALE 2022 Cycle (ONLINE)

49 minutes ago, Pard4321 said:

Super curious since you’re a dietitian - (and if you don’t mind) what are your stats? do you have a masters degree? Nutrition is super interesting to me!! 

Hi! Yes, I earned my masters degree in 2019 in human nutrition and have been working as a dietitian since 2016 with 5,000+ hours in clinical care. GPA not great at 3.6 from early college years but since 2021 retook anatomy, physiology, microbiology, human biology, and psychology through the lifespan! It’s been a crazy year taking all these to try and get into Yale, so being in the waitlist is hard.

Nutrition is amazing and I have loved it for the past five years, however, your scope of practice in clinical setting such as hospitals and dialysis centers where iv worked is so very very limited you are not able to make a real impact on patients, in my opinion. You could go into private practice which I did too- I started my own consulting company which I did on the side until 2020 covid hit, but the legalities with insurance and everything in between limits you once again. That’s why I’m going into PA, so that I can broaden my scope and truly feel like I’m helping patients! 

Hello folks! As an older candidate (53) I am quite nervous. Everyone I know, work with and shadow says I will make a great PA, and yet I keep getting rejected while my youthful classmates who think of me as being ahead of them get in right away.

Now that I have my little rant out of the way, I have to say I am on tenterhooks waiting to hear SOMETHING from the Yale online program. I interviewed on August 29th, had a followup information session on September 15th, and I have still not heard one way or the other. 😕

Good luck to us all!

@JimOfAllTrades, I, too, am an older candidate (44yo). I empathize with you. I interviewed on 9/15 and was waitlisted on 9/21. I haven't heard anything else since. I trying to stay positive that I have not gotten a rejection email yet, and I am jumping every time my cell phone rings. 

Just to be clear, are you on the waitlist, or have you not even gotten that email from them?

30 minutes ago, kaba29 said:

@JimOfAllTrades, I, too, am an older candidate (44yo). I empathize with you. I interviewed on 9/15 and was waitlisted on 9/21. I haven't heard anything else since. I trying to stay positive that I have not gotten a rejection email yet, and I am jumping every time my cell phone rings. 

Just to be clear, are you on the waitlist, or have you not even gotten that email from them?

I have gotten zero communication since the information session.

So, the good news is that someone from Yale contacted me through here to follow up. The bad (?) news is that they have not gotten back to me after I provided my name so they can investigate. Hoping beyond hope that the investigation turns up a place in the program for me. This is my third year submitting applications, and sometimes it feels like my age is what's keeping me from being accepted.

2 hours ago, JimOfAllTrades said:

So, the good news is that someone from Yale contacted me through here to follow up. The bad (?) news is that they have not gotten back to me after I provided my name so they can investigate. Hoping beyond hope that the investigation turns up a place in the program for me. This is my third year submitting applications, and sometimes it feels like my age is what's keeping me from being accepted.

Is this also your third cycle with Yale online?

10 hours ago, JimOfAllTrades said:

Jim I just wanted to send a little encouragement your way. I don’t think age should ever keep anyone from accomplishing a goal, whether they are super young or a bit more mature. When I attended the session with Yale, their director talked about how they love diversity and often have a slightly older class demographic so I don’t think your age will hurt you here. This is a very competitive program and it’s a great accomplishment to get an interview and be on the waitlist and there is still a chance we will both get in (fingers crossed). Since getting the waitlist news, I’ve taken some time and asked myself what I could do to make myself a more competitive candidate in the future in the event that I don’t get in. One thing I started working on was getting additional and more diverse PA shadowing hours both with virtual shadowing and in person as this is one place where I personally could improve. Perhaps you’ve already done this but if you didn’t know about it, I wanted to mention it. Virtual shadowing has been amazing because you can do it whenever is most convenient for you and you get to hear from and learn from so many incredible doctors and PAs in varied specialties. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dreaming said:

Jim I just wanted to send a little encouragement your way. I don’t think age should ever keep anyone from accomplishing a goal, whether they are super young or a bit more mature. When I attended the session with Yale, their director talked about how they love diversity and often have a slightly older class demographic so I don’t think your age will hurt you here. This is a very competitive program and it’s a great accomplishment to get an interview and be on the waitlist and there is still a chance we will both get in (fingers crossed). Since getting the waitlist news, I’ve taken some time and asked myself what I could do to make myself a more competitive candidate in the future in the event that I don’t get in. One thing I started working on was getting additional and more diverse PA shadowing hours both with virtual shadowing and in person as this is one place where I personally could improve. Perhaps you’ve already done this but if you didn’t know about it, I wanted to mention it. Virtual shadowing has been amazing because you can do it whenever is most convenient for you and you get to hear from and learn from so many incredible doctors and PAs in varied specialties. 

Last year I realized that I was somewhat lacking in shadowing experience, so got some significant shadowing in with a family care clinic, including the medical director for the clinic, who is a PA. I also needed another Organic Chemistry class, and took that in a 5 week accelerated online course, which I think was a great indicator of how I might do in a hybrid course like Yale's. I heard that about diversity too, but I took "slightly older" to mean 40s, not necessarily 50s.

1 hour ago, JimOfAllTrades said:

Last year I realized that I was somewhat lacking in shadowing experience, so got some significant shadowing in with a family care clinic, including the medical director for the clinic, who is a PA. I also needed another Organic Chemistry class, and took that in a 5 week accelerated online course, which I think was a great indicator of how I might do in a hybrid course like Yale's. I heard that about diversity too, but I took "slightly older" to mean 40s, not necessarily 50s.

Jim- they’re obviously missing out on terrific candidates such as yourself!!!! I CAN’T EVEN BEGIN to tell you the huge gamble I took to apply for this program to only end-up with a rejection letter. However, I believe everything happens for a significant reason. 

Don’t get discouraged. 

KEEP trying and KEEP applying!

Newer provisional programs continue to emerge......

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 6:16 AM, ragonzalez328 said:

Has anyone been accepted off the wait-list? I received my wait-list email on Oct.25th. 

I can't speak for others but I haven't heard anything just yet. I received my waitlist email on September 21st and am remaining hopeful that a few more spots will open up. I'm sure we will know something in the next few weeks (hopefully something we can celebrate). 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreaming said:

I can't speak for others but I haven't heard anything just yet. I received my waitlist email on September 21st and am remaining hopeful that a few more spots will open up. I'm sure we will know something in the next few weeks (hopefully something we can celebrate). 🙂

I was also placed on the waitlist on 9/21. I am still working hard to improve my application in case I need to reapply, but I am hopeful that spots open up and an acceptance call will come. Sending good thoughts out to everyone.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 2:12 PM, happyandhopeful said:

Hey there! I’m a current student at YPAO and just wanted to encourage you that you are absolutely not the only one this happened to. It seems like there are about 5-6 rounds of interviews with groups of between 60-80 interviewees. In each of those groups it seems 10-15ppl are accepted and around that many waitlisted. So if you are being generous with your estimations my guess is of the people who interview at least half are rejected. These are all just my own personal estimates based on the few application cycles I have watched (the program itself has never shared any of this type of info with us). 

I think not many people know about the forum and a lot of people won’t publicly share bad news, so the numbers you see here aren’t a real reflection. I say all of this to encourage you and let you know you aren’t alone and to keep chasing your dream! It also took me a few cycles to get in but it’s worth it!

Hi can you share what you did differently to get accepted last year, and how many cycles?

I was rejected off the waitlist in sept- was on since July- my first cycle -

thanks much !

Hi everyone! I know we are all anxiously waiting for an answer from Yale but please don't forget to vote today. A lot is on the line, especially regarding reproductive rights and access to vital and lifesaving healthcare for millions. I work in fertility care and I have seen firsthand how these laws could impact healthcare for my patients. I respect that people have different views on this but wherever you stand, please take the time to vote and let your voice be heard today.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dreaming said:

Hi everyone! I know we are all anxiously waiting for an answer from Yale but please don't forget to vote today. A lot is on the line, especially regarding reproductive rights and access to vital and lifesaving healthcare for millions. I work in fertility care and I have seen firsthand how these laws could impact healthcare for my patients. I respect that people have different views on this but wherever you stand, please take the time to vote and let your voice be heard today.  

Just got back from voting!  So happy to be able to make my voice heard. 👍

• Like 1