Is It Appropriate?

Hi everybody,

I recently got into a PA school, however it's not my first choice school. I actually have two more interviews coming up in the few months and I was wondering if it's appropriate to mention in my interviews that I've already been accepted to a PA program? I'm not sure what the correct etiquette is and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone!

• Administrator

I'd say that's up to you. I can see it either way, depending. If you have an offer and would jump at a better offer, it's not inappropriate to say that "I'm holding a seat at another institution, but the reason I came here is because I believed this program would be a better fit. After interviewing here, I'm pleased to say that I would be happy to decline that offer in favor of an offer from here if one were forthcoming" doesn't sound too bad.

I agree with Rev Ronin, however you want to be careful about sounding like you're leveraging the other schools acceptance against the current school you're interviewing with. In my opinion, you were competitive enough to warrant an interview and acceptance from school 1 and an interview at school 2, so your stats may do all of the talking for you. With that being said, the admissions committee's are aware that it is borderline foolish to only apply to their school, and that acceptance offers are inevitably going to be made to competitive applicants. Good luck at the rest of your interviews!

I wouldn't mention it unless it comes up.

a common question is "what will you do if we don't accept you to our program this yr". at that point you could say, "well you are my #1 choice but I have already been granted acceptance to other programs so I would probably go there instead".

I agree with EMEDPA, I wouldn't mention it unless it came up. I was accepted at another school and took on another interview because it was at my number one choice and just made sure I nailed that interview. Its not a horrible position to be in, however if you get into your number one choice, make sure to notify the other school ASAP so someone on the waitlist can get your spot.

• Administrator

I don't disagree with the other posters who've brought up excellent and essentially complementary points. Yes, you absolutely want to come across as enthusiastic, interested, and very attached to where you're going to end up going. You also don't want to shoehorn an "I already have an offer in my pocket" into a conversation inappropriately--doing so is a great way to get an adcom to say "Good luck with that other offer, because if we think you're a self-important jerk on interview day, we're not going to try and steal you away from whichever school you already managed to impress". The "What are your plans if you don't get into PA school?" avenue is actually a pretty common question, in my experience, and the perfect opening, since they asked.

if they ask you could very well spin it as, "however I feel like this school is a better fit for me because of X, Y, and Z reasons". I feel like this shows that your not only enthusiastic about getting into a school, but why you want to go to THAT school. It shows the ADCOM that you have done your homework and research on why that school is the better fit for you. I actually only had that question asked once out of several interviews, however I did get asked many times why this school and not the other one type of question.

But it could burn you if it comes off like you are dropping names.... If you have it in your head that you really want to talk about that, you might need to just resist the temptation, because at least with me, it would make its way out in a way that I'd probably wish it hadn't. So for that reason, it might not be useful to include it. It's like riding a motorbike... If you don't know what you are doing, don't try to bust out a wheelie. It might have more potential to mess you up than it does if you just focus on the interview.

I had some program ask where I had applied and where I had interviewed. I think some of them are interested to see what type of caliber of programs you are applying to and if theres a particular pattern in applying to certain schools.|

When asked what I'd do if not accepted this year, I used the line (which i liked a lot) "Well, I understand the competitive nature of PA program admissions, so I've applied to several that are a good fit for me and have an acceptance. However, if I were to be offered a seat here I would be honored as this is my top-choice program. (Could throw in a "because of X, Y, among other reasons."

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck getting your top choice!

My 2nd interview actually asked me where else I had applied and if I got accepted (I only applied to those 2). I actually liked school #1 better, so I just answered the question straight up: "I applied to school A and yes I was accepted". The director, who was conducting that particular interview, noticed some of my stats (GRE in particular) and said "wow, no wonder they accepted you- you're smart". However, I didn't get in to their program! I am not sure if it because I knew within 10 minutes of being there that I didn't want to go to that program and gave off a vibe or if it was just that they had over 150 interviewees for 36 spots and I wasn't competitive enough. Regardless, I imagine my response to that question held some weight and had I really wanted to be in their program, I probably should have used that opportunity to explain myself more than I did.

Seems like the general consensus is to not mention my acceptance at all (unless it comes up). :)

Thank you all so much for the wonderful input and advice, I really appreciate it and will definitely apply it to my next two interviews. As a re-applicant, I can't believe this is all happening. If this is any of yalls second time applying, I can't stress how important it is to stay positive and to not give up. I wish you all the best of luck with the admissions/interview process! :)

Archived