Opportunities post-residency

Hello, what kind of positions were available to you after completing residency/fellowships in Emergency Medicine or Critical Care, for example? For instance, have you experienced opportunities that are open to only very experienced (ie 10 year plus) PAs? I am curious of the purchase power of these options and ballpark salary ranges you are seeing, hearing, or offered to colleagues.

• Like 1

I’m accepted for every position I’ve applied to. We’ve all gone on to rural solo, academic, large and small community hospitals. Know some at mayo, Alaska, all over, straight out of residency. The PA that is with the research team in Antarctica is a Iowa residency grad., though that wasn’t his first job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

as far as salary, I can’t speak for everyone and when it comes to large centers nothing will matter because your pay is fixed by HR, but I may more per hour than an NP who has been practicing for 7 years longer than me and been with the hospital 6 years before I got there. It’s not gender gap. It’s a he.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

when it comes to large centers nothing will matter because your pay is fixed by HR

This. It is the rare major medical center that will allow a residency grad to work to the full extent of their training and experience or pay them for that experience. Most big places treat every PA, new grad, experienced, or residency grad the same. I worked for 15 years at my area's 2 major trauma centers alongside residency grads and relatively new grads. A few of us had some extended privileges for LPs, procedural sedation, and intubation, but that was about the extent of it. The 2 residency grads had no additional salary or privileges than I did and they should have. One of them went through the very challenging (and unfortunately no longer existent) first EMPA residency program at LA County/USC in the 80s. He also had 20 years more experience than I did when we worked together and we were treated the same.

If someone wants to work at a typical big city EMPA job, they are unlikely to benefit from it as much as they would if they sought out more rural and/or solo positions. This is where the residency grad or very experienced EMPA can work to their full potential.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

This. It is the rare major medical center that will allow a residency grad to work to the full extent of their training and experience or pay them for that experience. Most big places treat every PA, new grad, experienced, or residency grad the same. I worked for 15 years at my area's 2 major trauma centers alongside residency grads and relatively new grads. A few of us had some extended privileges for LPs, procedural sedation, and intubation, but that was about the extent of it. The 2 residency grads had no additional salary or privileges than I did and they should have. One of them went through the very challenging (and unfortunately no longer existent) first EMPA residency program at LA County/USC in the 80s. He also had 20 years more experience than I did when we worked together and we were treated the same.

If someone wants to work at a typical big city EMPA job, they are unlikely to benefit from it as much as they would if they sought out more rural and/or solo positions. This is where the residency grad or very experienced EMPA can work to their full potential.

Good to know. These are the type of locations I am particularly interested in. I'm doing the big city, academic medical center training for PA school but my interest is definitely rural.

• Like 2

Echo LT_Oneal. Last year while in residency and I was looking for jobs after residency the market was tight. Now in a rural area and willing to travel I could work everyday. Independent critical access pays me the best but with no flagship hospital to send patients to I board a lot of sick patients. Intubated, multiple drips, central and art lines, there's been time I board them for my entire shift. 

My job I took was actually to get a doc back in clinic as they didn't much like EM, no posting for the job. Was head hunted. Residency is beyond advantageous 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I am 8 months in and was already offered a job by several level 1 trauma hospitals. Salary at large medical centers is much lower than rural community positions. 

I am only aware of PA and WA. I’ve seen offers $85-$95 in rural and 130-150k at large medical centers. 

I sent out a few emails to test the market, and ED directors were more than happy to explain the position and benefits to me. Some even wanted to schedule a phone call interview. 

I was told by several ED directors that they are only looking for residency trained PAs. HR is on board and administrators love the idea. If you want options and want to find the right fit, then you will be happy you completed a residency. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, davidr14 said:

I am 8 months in and was already offered a job by several level 1 trauma hospitals. Salary at large medical centers is much lower than rural community positions. 

I am only aware of PA and WA. I’ve seen offers $85-$95 in rural and 130-150k at large medical centers. 

I sent out a few emails to test the market, and ED directors were more than happy to explain the position and benefits to me. Some even wanted to schedule a phone call interview. 

I was told by several ED directors that they are only looking for residency trained PAs. HR is on board and administrators love the idea. If you want options and want to find the right fit, then you will be happy you completed a residency. 

$85-95 an hour, correct? 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

$85-95/hour in rural critical access EM, usually solo coverage is what I've seen and gotten and what my company pays across multiple sites in multiple states.    Full disclosure: almost 9 years of EM experience - last 3.5 in rural critical access, plus ~ 40 years fire/EMS, but no residency.

This has been my experience as well. No residency here either(there were none when I graduated), but 35 years of EM experience with 26 as a PA.

• Upvote 1