Hello World,

I've been struggling so hard with picking a major. I'm in my first semester of University and I just decided I want to go Pre-Pa. I was talking to a family friend who is a PA to see what he would think is best for me to go into for a major. He mentioned computer science and it got me thinking. They make lots of money and given that the metaverse is an up and coming innovation there will be a lot of computer science careers out there. Also, there was a thought of psychology which has a lot of the pre reqs I would need for PA School the only problem is the job outlook for psychology majors isn't that good. My main problem is which one would look better for getting into PA school. It's my dream to become a Aesthetics Derm PA and I don't want a simple "wrong" pick of a major get in the way of my dream. Let me know your experiences and what you guys think.

Thank you!

Your major doesn't matter for PA school. At all. Like zero. I was an art history major/studio art minor (how much more "useless" can it get?!) and landed a job in advertising after college. I went back to school to take the required prereq classes and had no problem getting interviews/acceptances. I actually don't think majors matter at all with the exception of jobs like nursing (like a BSN), engineering, accounting, etc if you plan to work in those fields. If you love psychology, go for it. 

Pick a major based on what you're interested in. You'll enjoy college and the classes more if you like what you're studying. Just make sure you're taking all the prereqs for PA school. Certain majors like biology may let you kill two birds with one stone: knocking out prereq classes that are also required for your degree. But if you LOVE Russian Literature or Japanese Language or Medieval History that's ok too. Just take the prereqs and get a degree. That's it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You need to take the prereqs for PA school. Beyond that, take something that would lead to a job you would enjoy doing if you never get to be a PA.

Nothing you ever learn is truly lost. Gaining skills and knowledge in more than one area can be a big help to you in the future. Your interests and opportunities will likely change as you go. Be ready for that.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep, even computer science majors can become PA's.  Never mind that this computer science major's 1st computer had 8K and used punched cards.  As UGoLong said (he's a recovering engineer), it's not your major, it's whether you took the prereq's for PA school and got good grades.  I've know docs who were music, marketing, electrical engineering, and civil engineering majors.  The doc I've worked closest with and one of my mentors was a civil engineering major who decided it wasn't for him when he was interning on a highway project in mid-winter.  He's a smart guy (and a great doc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1