Really need help with a Plan of Action!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hubbardtim48

You be nice PAMAC, I am just stating a fact that PFTs are done by RTs. RT field is great, fast route for high HCE, see almost every part of the hospital and can work in inpatient and outpatient settings. These can include ER, ICUs (adults/peds/neo), flight, PFTs, hyperbaric, sleep. I love my job and enjoyed my time learning new skills and have a lot of opinions to move around the hospital.

Guest hubbardtim48

I agree with that! If you love your field you won't cry over reading 3 chapters in a week or whatever they throw your way. I am hoping PAMAC is sasquatch because that would rule!

Guest hubbardtim48

I would say if you want the hospital to pay for your degree then I would go RN because usually they don't care about RTs and only give us a few grand and that is it. For my wife, they paid her HUGE debit if she worked for them for 3 years. So, if your looking for HCE and cost then RN is where it is. RT is a great field, just not very well known and don't have the huge need for RTs as most hospitals have for RNs.

I would say if you want the hospital to pay for your degree then I would go RN because usually they don't care about RTs and only give us a few grand and that is it. For my wife, they paid her HUGE debit if she worked for them for 3 years. So, if your looking for HCE and cost then RN is where it is. RT is a great field, just not very well known and don't have the huge need for RTs as most hospitals have for RNs.

pretty tough to get into an rn program with a 2.5 gpa. ditto rt I would imagine.

Guest hubbardtim48

I agree, just looking at cost. The average GPA at my RT school was 3.7 for prereqs. (A&P I/II, Micro., Cardio/pulm. A&P, Physics I, College Algebra) and 3.5 cumulative.

It's all beside the point. I'm only looking for advice on what to do next

Keep doing your thing to get AS MUCH experience you can and get that GPA up.

I have a kid I mentored when he was in high school who is now a BS in Bio holder. He just got a job at a UC hospital here in Cali where he gets to do blood gases and runs PFTs (he ain't licensed). I'm encouraging him to go RT if not PA. But the point is no experience can be discounted in medicine.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

PFTs....All states in the U.S. require emergency medical technicians (EMT) to be licensed. While licensing requirements vary by state, EMT training programs are typically offered at the basic, intermediate and paramedic levels. Most states require individuals to hold EMT certification in order to obtain an EMT license. In order to obtain licensure, many states require certification through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). I could care less if you like me and emotions over a forum is very hard to read so your just A$$uming...

If you are going to expect any sort of credibility to citing laws revolving around EMS, you're really going to have to cite a credible source. I've been working in EMS since 1988. I would be very interested in learning where you get your information regarding licensing requirements for EMTs et al. If they require individual licenses then I know a few hundred folks who are all due for some jail time for practicing medicine without one.

EMS practices under the license of their medical director.

If you are going to expect any sort of credibility to citing laws revolving around EMS, you're really going to have to cite a credible source. I've been working in EMS since 1988. I would be very interested in learning where you get your information regarding licensing requirements for EMTs et al. If they require individual licenses then I know a few hundred folks who are all due for some jail time for practicing medicine without one.

EMS practices under the license of their medical director.

^^^^

This! Plus, that whole argument by hubbard is moot anyway, as MAs can do PFTs too, & are not required to be licensed in most states.

Hubbard, you also don't seem to have enough understanding of what scribes are to be making comments about them. Scribes can be someone that only follows a provider around writing everything down, but that is not necessarily always the case. First off, most scribes are medical assistants, who can be trained to do every single thing the OP said he does, & they can be hired off the street with zero schooling in a lot of states & trained to do them on the job. Also, how scribes function is a matter of how their facility chooses to utilize them. Some scribes do simply follow the provider around writing things down & nothing more. Others may work in groups where their role is to tag team with the provider to do the scribing part, but then stay with the patient to do everything that patient needs to have done until they leave, while the provider moves on to a different patient with a different scribe who will work in the same manner - with the primary goal here being that every patient has a single person that follows them through the entire visit, in order to be more efficient, speed things up, prevent errors, & to provide the patient with a level of comfort & continuity of care.

Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean that's the way it is. Calling the OP a liar based on your narrow viewpoint is a bit over the top. You owe him an apology.

what are you talking about? how else are nurses supposed to know if they can be a nurse unless they have an appropriate TEAS score?.... whats that smirk for? nurses need to do the TEAS.... some people think you can be a nurse without the TEAS. the words "nurse" and "TEAS" these days go together like bread and butter.... why is everyone laughing?!!

I've watched those kinda movies :)

Too bad in real life the nurses aren't as good looking :(

OP, you've been given a lot of good advice already. I will tell you that most guys (I'm assuming you're a guy) have an advantage when applying to nursing school these days. There is a push to get more males in the field, & that could mean overlooking some bad past grades if you rock your pre-req's & show a complete turn around. You won't know until you try, so keep plugging away & keep getting good HCE.

Guest hubbardtim48

This is what the OP said, "Yeah; I hate saying my title is a scribe because what I do is more along the lines of a nurse." All the scribes I know have zero education and walk around typing, never ever seen on/heard one doing anything more than that. I cannot read the OPs mind and tired several times to get things clear, but the OP never stated what he/she really did so how in the HE!! can I assume that the OP does all this stuff when I have no idea what their profession is? So, the OP is a scribe, RN, RT....? Peoples views on PFTs are vary different and a true PFT is done via a "body box" and not done by a peak flow. There are PFTs that are bedside, but doesn't give you every single number that a true PFT gives. ABGs from a non-RT....scary. There's a lot more to it than just sticking a needle (blindly).

Archived