Habitat for Humanity: Freshman year

American Red Cross Disaster and Relief

Medical Mission trip to Mexico

+ some others...

SHADOWING:

100+ hours shadowing PAs, MDs, NPs

WORK EXPERIENCE:

360 hours: Phlebotomist

1320 hours-to date: Scribe in urgent care (responsibilities include: triage, vitals, taking symptoms, strep testing, collecting and testing urine samples, recording doctors physical findings, blood draw, EKG, INR, glucose testing, would care, splinting, and more)

From now until the next application cycle, what would you do in my shoes?

-Focus completely on classes?

-Work part time and take some classes?

-Continue working full time and take only another 25 credits or so

-Apply for a masters degree?

-Get certification in something else?

And here's the big question, even if I hit the 3.0 mark; do you think I have a shot? Even with the schools that look at last 60 credits? I'm willing to work really hard but I'll call a spade a spade: i'll never have a 3.5GPA.

So, what's the best plan? Thank you in advance for your advice!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hubbardtim48

Focus on classes!!! BIO 1 +2, GEN CHEM 1, A&P 1 +2 and Medical Terminology, what grades did you get in these classes? No on cares at this point about your scribe, ekg stuff or volunteering and other certifications would include what (they won't help your 2.55/2.7). You need to take the hardest science classes you can and MAKE ALL A'S IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. If you are willing to show that you can ace all these hard science classes then you might have a shot, but those numbers will not get you anywhere.

Guest hubbardtim48

More importantly, wound care/splinting??? There are wound care nurses that go to extra school (I think 3 months) just to do wound care...there is no way jarchie does that stuff as a scribe.

Yeah; I hate saying my title is a scribe because what I do is more along the lines of a nurse. I basically do everything but the physical exam, or sutures - although I help. I also set up IV's, take them down, and prepare syringes. I assist with pelvic exams and read lab values when we get blood work back. I remove impacted ear wax autonomously, PFT's and nebulizers.

oo if that's the case, i think you might want to consider going to nursing school first. work a few years while applying to PA school. i think going to nursing school should help you reach that 3.0 mark of higher if you did really well. just 2 cents.

also, which scribe company you work for that let you do all that stuff along the lines of a nurse. i'm just curious lol

Guest hubbardtim48

I am a respiratory therapist and there is NO way you do PFT's and nebulizers. You have to be a RT to do those things. What license do you have to give albuterol, atrovent, race. epi., morphine, steroids, antibiotics (nebulized) and perform PFTs....?

Guest hubbardtim48

Oh don't you worry, there is no legal way this person is doing all of this as a "scribe." As a RT would know his/her own laws.

Ha if I can be that honest about my GPA, I promise you I have no reason to lie about my job responsibilities. If the doctor orders a nebulizer, that's what I'll do. I don't have any license. We only give atrovent and albuterol in neb.

david89 - I'm skeptical about doing nursing bc I worry about the admissions committee then saying why nursing? And it's not a company, it's just the title this facility gave people in my role. Do you think it matters taking random science classes or taking science classes while working towards a degree?

Guest hubbardtim48

You can't give a drug unless you have a license!!!!!! What doctor/facility is "letting" you give a nebulizer? What state do you work in? How about the PFTs? Are you a CPFT or RPFT with a respiratory therapy degree? If you aren't a respiratory therapist OR a respiratory therapy tech. (student) then you can't LEGALLY give albuterol/atrovent.

Guest hubbardtim48

Good lord! Not in my state, I wish those people luck. Even if that is "legal" how about jarchie doing PFTs? That would be like me doing a CT or MRI or US...NO WAY MAN!!!

If you aren't a respiratory therapist OR a respiratory therapy tech. (student) then you can't LEGALLY give albuterol/atrovent.

Or a RN or a Paramedic or an EMT.

Or, as it sounds like may be the case here, there is a written protocol that says when prescribed by MD/PA, nebulizer treatment can be administered by TRAINED tech. As long as they are following institutional policy (which I'm sure has been vetted by their legal department)...no problem.

Hubbard, you seem awful adamant about KNOWING what other people in other places can or cannot do. To be honest, your online persona makes you seem like a "know it all blowhard" and that just isn't helpful anywhere you go. If your true in person attitude is anything like your on line attitude I have my doubts at your success as a bedside clinician.

Emt basics do not have a license but they do give albuterol/atrovent under the protocols of their jurisdiction. A medical director has agreed to allow EMS to operate under that director's license...just like a doc in the ER has given consent for their staff to perform certain procedures. Typically this consent has been written out in free standing orders and is their protocol.

The world is a big place and people do things different everywhere. Your on line PA program is a perfect example. You of all people should embrace diversity, not SHOUT at anyone who doesn't follow what you think are the rules.

oo..have you look into master program (preferably in the science field) that you're qualify for? even though you already have a bachelor in psych? it would show pa schools that you can handle rough science classes

A little, but I haven't found any that include histology, embryology, immunology...etc.

Hubbard, you seem awful adamant about KNOWING what other people in other places can or cannot do. To be honest, your online persona makes you seem like a "know it all blowhard" and that just isn't helpful anywhere you go. If your true in person attitude is anything like your on line attitude I have my doubts at your success as a bedside clinician.

Emt basics do not have a license but they do give albuterol/atrovent under the protocols of their jurisdiction. A medical director has agreed to allow EMS to operate under that director's license...just like a doc in the ER has given consent for their staff to perform certain procedures. Typically this consent has been written out in free standing orders and is their protocol.

So slow down a bit and stop using the cap lock key like it's some sort of literary weapon spreading decree across the internet. The world is a big place and people do things different everywhere. Your on line PA program is a perfect example. You of all people should embrace diversity, not SHOUT at anyone who doesn't follow what you think are the rules.

....couldn't have said this better myself.

Guest hubbardtim48

PFTs....All states in the U.S. require emergency medical technicians (EMT) to be licensed. While licensing requirements vary by state, EMT training programs are typically offered at the basic, intermediate and paramedic levels. Most states require individuals to hold EMT certification in order to obtain an EMT license. In order to obtain licensure, many states require certification through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). I could care less if you like me and emotions over a forum is very hard to read so your just A$$uming...

I am a respiratory therapist and there is NO way you do PFT's and nebulizers. You have to be a RT to do those things.

LOTS of techs give neb tx, at least on the west coast. I did them as an er tech, my current techs give them routinely, etc

one of the depts I work in doesn't even have rt, nurses and techs do all the neb tx./peak flows, etc

they (techs) aren't doing an assessment, they are following a providers order.

the value of rt's(at least in my world) is running bipap and vents.

Guest hubbardtim48

It all differs from state to state and med. tech. in my state is different from hospital to hospital/state to state, but doing PFTs is just something I have NEVER heard of. Bull in a china shop is not a good analogy because the mythbusters did a piece on that and is wasn't true. :)

Archived