Wait for Interview Invites this Cycle or jump back into taking more classes?

So as I sit here waiting for invites from the 8 schools I applied to I have to wonder, do I wait for the chance to get interviews? or get the edge on next cycle and take classes. 2 of the schools are already sending out invites to interview based on rolling admissions. 4 other classes wont notify me until october/november and two others january/february. My dilemma is do I sit and wait for the possible interviews then if I get denied take classes in the spring? or if I start now and take classes this fall I can take pre reqs for other classes and then take those in the spring and be ahead of the game. On top of have more shadow hours if I start now. What would you do??? Spend 1-2 grand on classes and dedicating the next two semesters to classes on the idea that you may not be good enough this cycle? or be hopeful, save money and wait? :;DD: HELP!!

Shadowing is free and if you can work in a related job while you wait that will be beneficial. I would do that and maybe take only 1-2 classes per term if you have completed everything for this cycle already. Don't just "sit and wait" as you said, because if you don't get in you will need to be doing something anyway, so work toward strengthening your application. Those experiences could serve you well in an interview if you get one. Is the reason you want to take more pre-reqs because you want to be able to apply to more schools next cycle? If this is the case then you can start on it right away, but if you can do something else to strengthen your application without spending the money that would be a better option.

Well the two PA schools in Colorado, where I live, would require me to take physics and some other classes. and the GRE, which I will study a fe months and take in february. Yes I basically want to take more classes and the GRE to apply to more schools. I work FT as an EMT on a 911 ALS ambulance and a PT one. Luckily they are in underserved communities which helps. So as of now when I applied I was at 5000 Hours, next cycle I will be over 7,000 quality HCE Hours. And yes shadowing is free and as of now I have 0 hours so if I just shadow and work I will have 100-200 Shadow hours for next cycle. I could apply to the same schools and just beef up my HCE and shadowing and PS or I can try and work FT and take a full load to apply to other schools.

I agree with GatorRRT on it depends on competitiveness on GPA or if it needs to be raised. Also take into consideration if you have taken any of the classes that could give you a competitive edge. Those answers depend on if you should take more classes. But honestly, if I was you I would work in a health field since it will go towards HCE and give you some money to save up in case you get accepted

@ GatorRTT my science GPA is 3.34, and most of the schools look at prereq GPA and mine is anywhere from 3.7-4.0 for those. I would really be taking more bio classes and chem classes to boost the 3.34 and show that I have taken more than just the minimum required classes. I can also work and shadow at the same time if I want to really focus, and will have 7000+ HCE Hours, 300+ Shadowing hours and a 3.45 science GPA and pre req of 3.8-4

• Administrator
Always expect to not be accepted and continue to improve your application for the next cycle. That can mean getting more HCE, taking more upper level science, or whatever else you need to do in order to make a more well-rounded applicant.

What he said. (I was going to just say "+1" but that was too short)

Always expect to not be accepted and continue to improve your application for the next cycle. That can mean getting more HCE, taking more upper level science, or whatever else you need to do in order to make a more well-rounded applicant.

Agree. For example 2 years ago I ended up on several waitlists, but received no acceptances. I continued to gain HCE in the Cardiac ICU and I took the UNE Distance Medical Biochemistry course while working full time last year. I applied last summer again to about ~15 schools, 3 of which I had applied to the previous year and I got accepted to actually two schools and interviewd at several places this year. In addition to the class and hours I continued to spend time volunteering in my community. It really comes down to being yourself in the interviews and showing that you have improved in the last year. My GPA was around the 3.4 range and I really think my larger amount of HCE help offset my just alright GPA. Also if you don't get accepted this round ask what you can do to improve and become a more competitive applicant for the next year. The majority of schools are willing to provide the feedback.

Agree. For example 2 years ago I ended up on several waitlists, but received no acceptances. I continued to gain HCE in the Cardiac ICU and I took the UNE Distance Medical Biochemistry course while working full time last year. I applied last summer again to about ~15 schools, 3 of which I had applied to the previous year and I got accepted to actually two schools and interviewd at several places this year. In addition to the class and hours I continued to spend time volunteering in my community. It really comes down to being yourself in the interviews and showing that you have improved in the last year. My GPA was around the 3.4 range and I really think my larger amount of HCE help offset my just alright GPA. Also if you don't get accepted this round ask what you can do to improve and become a more competitive applicant for the next year. The majority of schools are willing to provide the feedback.

Thanks for that, and congrats on getting into PA school. I think I will continue to work FT as an EMT and at the PT job and gain about 2500 more hours for next cycle. I am going to also start shadowing a PC PA and an ED PA so that will help as well as try to take one or two online patho pharm classes.

Hi. I was thinking of taking that online biochem course from UNE. How was it? seems really pricey and i brief looked at the website and it says the entire grade is base on the final.

Hi. I was thinking of taking that online biochem course from UNE. How was it? seems really pricey and i brief looked at the website and it says the entire grade is base on the final.

It is pricey, but the instructor is very good and answered almost any questions I had within 24 hours or sooner. You will do fine on the final as long as you treat it like a regular class and keep up with the material. As long as your doing fine on the exams you should be okay for the final.

It is pricey, but the instructor is very good and answered almost any questions I had within 24 hours or sooner. You will do fine on the final as long as you treat it like a regular class and keep up with the material. As long as your doing fine on the exams you should be okay for the final.

okay thanks. i know they give you like 15 weeks but how long did it take you to finish that course?

Archived