Will a possession of marijuana prevent me from being licensed?

I am currently in PA school, graduating in May. I received a possession of marijuana-1st offense this past year, and I want to know if anyone has had experience with this or has any advice as far as licensing goes. My school is aware, and I contacted NCCPA who stated that it should not prevent me from being certified. I am already expecting that it may extend the time it takes for me to get a license, but being that I have never gone through the licensing process before, does anyone know if this will prevent me from being licensed/becoming a PA? 

I have been so anxious since this happened. I feel like my future career is over. Any advice would be amazing. I have never used marijuana, I don’t need a lecture, please. 

Shouldn't you have thought of this before you took a slot in PA school?

Now that I have that out of my system...I would think it would matter in which state your applying.  In some states, it's legal and I would think would be more lenient.  Some potential employers may not like this either.  My gut tells me you'll probably get a license and a job, though.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, LKPAC said:

Shouldn't you have thought of this before you took a slot in PA school?

Now that I have that out of my system...I would think it would matter in which state your applying.  In some states, it's legal and I would think would be more lenient.  Some potential employers may not like this either.  My gut tells me you'll probably get a license and a job, though.

Thank you for your reply

Be honest with everyone. Its a minor infraction (nobody wants to see repeated) and the real big deal starts when you try to hide it or minimize it with any regulatory agency or potential employer. Be strait up, don't deflect, take responsibility, and be repentant. You'll be fine.

Last time I checked we are all human...except the lizard people that walk among us. That is a different discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe I am too cynical, but when I read your post I thought, "Of course the NCCPA is willing to take your $550 for the PANCE.  Like they would ever turn away money."  You are already this far into your program, so you may as well continue and graduate.  I don't know if this will be an issue with licensing, but I figure you might as well try.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  In interviews, if it comes up I would frame it as an episode that you are very sorry for and have learned from and now you will be able to use that as an experience to better relate to patients who are facing difficulties with substance use.  Because you will have plenty of patients who are using substances, no matter what field you end up in.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mojodojo said:

in which state your applying.  In some states, it's legal and I would think would be more lenient.  Some pote

As long as you are open and honest about things - I highly doubt this would be an issue. The worst thing you can do is try to lie about it. 

I had a minor in consumption of alcohol ticket and I had to provide documents about the case to the state medical licensing board and provide a personal statement. They then had to "approve" my license at their quarterly meeting (instead of being automatically issued- which did delay my license by a few months). Sometimes the board will approve your license but it is contingent on participation on alcohol/drug rehab, but I doubt they would recommend that for the case you describe. 

On 9/27/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mojodojo said:

I am currently in PA school, graduating in May. I received a possession of marijuana-1st offense this past year, a 

I honestly don't know and not sure the advice here is sound

You were a second year PA student when this happened correct?  That shows a HUGE lapse in judgement WHEN IN SCHOOL  It is not "I did this 10 years ago as a teenager"

Instead of posting here I would be perfect in life, no etoh, no drugs, no speeding tickets, squeeky clean

take PANCE

Pass it

apply for license with full disclosure - be prepared to have to jump through hoops.  If I were on a licensing board I would be very hesitant to grant a full license to you - I would think a restricted license for a time might be possible.  

Sorry you are going through this - just don't make it worse with another mistake....

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ventana said:

I honestly don't know and not sure the advice here is sound

You were a second year PA student when this happened correct?  That shows a HUGE lapse in judgement WHEN IN SCHOOL  It is not "I did this 10 years ago as a teenager"

Instead of posting here I would be perfect in life, no etoh, no drugs, no speeding tickets, squeeky clean

take PANCE

Pass it

apply for license with full disclosure - be prepared to have to jump through hoops.  If I were on a licensing board I would be very hesitant to grant a full license to you - I would think a restricted license for a time might be possible.  

Sorry you are going through this - just don't make it worse with another mistake....

Yes, I was a second year PA student. I attend a program in a state where marijuana is legal. My sister flew out to drive back to my home state with me over break. She purchased edibles before we left, and long story short I was pulled over in the neighboring state for failing to use my turn signal, was asked about drugs in the car, and admitted to it. I received the possession because I was the owner of the vehicle. Regardless, it was stupid, careless mistake. I’m expecting my future as a PA will be seriously affected by this. I will do anything that needs to be done in order to become a PA. Just can’t shake the feeling that I’ve essentially destroyed my future. I appreciate your feedback. 

Edited by Mojodojo

36 minutes ago, Mojodojo said:

Yes, I was a second year PA student. I attend a program in a state where marijuana is legal. My sister flew out to drive back to my home state with me over break. She purchased edibles before we left, and long story short I was pulled over in the neighboring state for failing to use my turn signal, was asked about drugs in the car, and admitted to it. I received the possession because I was the owner of the vehicle. Regardless, it was stupid, careless mistake. I’m expecting my future as a PA will be seriously affected by this. I will do anything that needs to be done in order to become a PA. Just can’t shake the feeling that I’ve essentially destroyed my future. I appreciate your feedback. 

So that story is very different then "I smoked a joint second year"

A story like this I would not really worry about if I was on the licensing board nd default to the minimum issue

I also think there is a defense if it was not yours if you have not already accepted the conviction... 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ventana said:

So that story is very different then "I smoked a joint second year"

A story like this I would not really worry about if I was on the licensing board nd default to the minimum issue

I also think there is a defense if it was not yours if you have not already accepted the conviction... 

I definitely don’t use marijuana. I was considering getting voluntary routine drug tests throughout the next year to prove this to the board in the future. Not sure if that’s overkill. 

I spoke with a lawyer about this who recommended I plead guilty and accept the misdemeanor. Not sure if that’s the best course of action or not. I wish I handled a lot of things differently in that situation, but I was so caught off guard.

28 minutes ago, Mojodojo said:

I wish I would have done this. In the moment I panicked and thought maybe I’d have a better outcome if I was honest. 

LOL, I probably would have done the same thing. Just posting so others see it if in a similar predicament some day. Cops are not your friend during a traffic stop. Be courteous, kind, and polite. Smile. And never say anything. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

Cops are not your friend during a traffic stop. Be courteous, kind, and polite. Smile. And never say anything. 

well.... to wander a bit from the original thread CAA is correct though I wouldn't suggest complete silence. That can be connoted several different ways and sometimes gives them leverage in the "resisting" venue. It isn't resisting but some jurisdictions have laws about resisting, delaying, or obstructing which can be pretty broadly interpreted. By the time you have your charges dismissed because you weren't doing any of those things you will have already been mightily inconvenienced likely including a night in the pokey.

Provide ID when asked. If questioned simply say "I'd rather not answer any questions." If someone asks if is ok to search simply say "no. I don't consent." If someone reads you your rights invoke them.

I had a brief but glorious career as a fed and probably 90% of everyone I put in prison helped me do it.

I also have a great story about being the subject of a felony stop I'll share over a beer with anyone I happen to meet.

Back to your regular programming.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mojodojo said:

I definitely don’t use marijuana. I was considering getting voluntary routine drug tests throughout the next year to prove this to the board in the future. Not sure if that’s overkill. 

I spoke with a lawyer about this who recommended I plead guilty and accept the misdemeanor. Not sure if that’s the best course of action or not. I wish I handled a lot of things differently in that situation, but I was so caught off guard.

NO NO NO

do not plead guilty -that sticks with you FOREVER and ever!!

I would take out a mortgage and borrow like mad to fight this with every ounce of your soul.  The DEA needs to be able to license you, and a conviction sticks for ever!! 

Fight it, be honest, let the truth prevail - if it was not yours don't take responsibility...  

After working almost 5 years in a jail I would never ever ever accept a guilty plea - fight it for ever!!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...