Surgical tech to PA

I am was wondering how long and if it’s possible is the surgical tech route to a PA? I do not want to limit myself to the OR becoming a first assist but I have always wanted to work in the or starting as a tech but also advance my career to a PA. Does anyone have any tips or information on how to do that and if it’s good or bad?

On 7/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, Coleshine said:

I am was wondering how long and if it’s possible is the surgical tech route to a PA? I do not want to limit myself to the OR becoming a first assist but I have always wanted to work in the or starting as a tech but also advance my career to a PA. Does anyone have any tips or information on how to do that and if it’s good or bad?

Yeah I had two in my class. They struggled a bit with the didactics but crushed their rotations. Suppose if you can deal with the OR culture you can deal with anything.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

I precepted a very experienced tech to PA in family medicine rotation.  It was her first rotation, and the two core things she had to master from that learning curve--talking to patients and documentation--were the steepest learning curve, but she did fine. Skin biopsy, though? Hand her the tools and kinda review what needs to be done. 🙂  I precepted a scribe later that year, and he had exactly the opposite challenges.  PA school is to find and shore up your weaknesses.

I was an ST in the Navy (as well as a Gen Duty Corpsman) and not too much in being an ST gives you a leg up except for suturing and knowing the OR protocols etc. You still have to do all the PA Pre-reqs. I suppose you'll ace your surgical rotation as I did though it was my toughest one (it involved managing pts pre and post op as well as clinic time which we didn't do as STs). I had other pre-PA professional experience too so my perspective is not strictly from a ST to PA...But It is definitely possible but you have to do the other preparatory things. Go For It!!!

Do you have a Bachelor's or prr-reqs already? There is a lot that goes into managing patient before and after the operating room. If you have a good relationship with the surgeons and anesthesiologists I would ask them about the pathology and why the patient needs surgery and what other options are for medical management. That will give you a head start on didactics 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’m a surgical tech and this is my second year applying for PA school. As you know, it’s extremely competitive! I got my associates in surg tech 12 years ago and recently got my bachelors in surgical technology through Northern Arizona University, all online. Loved the classes and had a great experience! I would recommend that route if you have your associates to build on. You will need to add upper level science courses in addition, and then you’ll be ready to apply! Message me if you have any questions! I know it sounds like a lot of schooling, but before you know it, you’ll be submitting your CASPA!