Needing advice (what are my chances)

Never thought I'd be starting a "what are my chances" thread but PA has suddenly become a very good option for me to consider but I need some help from you all as I have many questions. Upon applying to PA school I'll have this:

-A Biology bachelors with a GPA of nearly 3.5 having completed all the academic prerequisites

-Several years (over 1000 hrs) of volunteering in leadership/community service programs/organizations both on and off campus

-Over 1000 hrs volunteering at a hospital with contact with critical care sub acute patients

-I'll take the GRE as well

-Two years of scientific research

-Good letters of rec from science proffs and docs

-Shadowed an MD, DO, and PA

Here is my biggest worry. I screwed up my junior year BAD. A C in Ohem I and two Ds (finally an A the third time) in Ochem II. I've had nothin but As and Bs since (mostly As) and have taken such classes as

physiology, genetics, embryology, and developmental biology. Do I have a good chance at

getting accepted somewhere in a PA program?

Also are PA admission apps like med school? Do they start in June and take a year to process? Thanks!!!

P.S.: A little about me. I'm 22 and it's been my sole purpose/aspiration to get into med school fo the past four years of my life, I'm going for DO and currently studying for my MCAT. Should I stay the course an consider PA only if I don't get in to a DO school?

If you want to be a doctor, then be a doctor, not a PA. This profession is not for med school rejects. If you don't get into DO school this year, show some dedication to your chosen profession and improve your application so that you'll have a better chance next time around, rather than settling for something that isn't what you want.

Guest hubbardtim48

Please don't apply to PA because you are a medical reject...it is just as hard to get into PA as it is MD/DO school. Save your self and all the PAs the heart ache and apply over and over until you get into D.O. school.

Many PA schools are part of larger medical campuses that have MD or DO programs. The admissions committee will likely have doctors as well as physician assistants involved in the selection process, and they all understand the difference between PA and doctor. I guessed you were a medical school hopeful before I read the last sentence of your post, so you can bet adcoms will recognize the same. While you may consider PA your backup career, none of them think of it that way nor do they want students who think of it that way.

I think you should do some more research. You said you've shadowed a PA. Pick someone in a different specialty and do some more shadowing. Then you might be able to articulate why (if) you want to be a PA, rather than why you'll settle for being a PA. Consider carefully if you understand the differences between the professions and if you'll be able to tolerate and embrace those differences throughout your schooling and future career.

You're young. Why would you give up on DO school after one round of applications?

You have a decent(not great) GPA and no paid HCE. You probably have a better shot at DO school than PA school as long as you don't bomb the MCAT.

/edit - That's not to say you can't get into a PA school. It's just that schools tend to either want super high GPAs or a decent amount of HCE. The more you have of one, the less you can have of the other. So the applicants with decent, but not stellar, GPAs should gain some HCE to be more competitive.

Many PA schools are part of larger medical campuses that have MD or DO programs. The admissions committee will likely have doctors as well as physician assistants involved in the selection process, and they all understand the difference between PA and doctor. I guessed you were a medical school hopeful before I read the last sentence of your post, so you can bet adcoms will recognize the same. While you may consider PA your backup career, none of them think of it that way nor do they want students who think of it that way.

I think you should do some more research. You said you've shadowed a PA. Pick someone in a different specialty and do some more shadowing. Then you might be able to articulate why (if) you want to be a PA, rather than why you'll settle for being a PA. Consider carefully if you understand the differences between the professions and if you'll be able to tolerate and embrace those differences throughout your schooling and future career.

You're young. Why would you give up on DO school after one round of applications?

I haven't applied to med school yet. Will be taking some post grad classes in the fall and then if I need to retake the MCAT I'll do so again in spring and then apply next June. I know that if I do really well on the MCAT I have a good hance of getting into a DO school somewhere in the US, but his is me worrying prematurely and my ochem debacle worries me tremendously, despite working my *** off to salvage my GPA and prove I can handle tough classes. I just want to get accepted somewhere and not have to deal with the prolonging amount of time having to reapply. Why doesn't voluntary HCE overlap paid HCE? Wouldnt they be more happy that I've devote a lot of time to HCE that's not paid?

Voluntary HCE often involves less learned skills and does not usually require a credential, whereas paid for paid HCE you often need a credential and established skill set. Volunteering is great, and definitely can help your application as far as showing your care for helping others and the community, but does not necessarily indicate that you have skilled patient contact. This goes for PA schools, and not necessarily for medical schools, where research is a much larger component of the application, while paid patient contact is desirable but not always required.

I just want to get accepted somewhere and not have to deal with the prolonging amount of time having to reapply.

I understand that impulse and I'm sure most others here have felt the same at some point. But taking short-cuts isn't a good way to start the rest of your professional life and will surely lead to regrets down the road. Try to take deep breath and a step back; look at the big picture. Where is the pressure coming from? The urgency? If it's only from within, learn to manage it and you'll be a better healthcare provider. If it's external from family or peers or whatever, learn to ignore it and do what's best for you. The right decision is rarely the easiest one, and you'll only disappoint yourself by giving up your dream without putting all your effort into succeeding.

Animalwithin: I am 41 and I am retired from the Financial world. When I was 22 I wanted to become an OT. However, life sometimes takes you in a direction that you least expect. I am currently trying to become a PA after a couple of years or research, prayer, and guidance from peers. I am going to tell you the same thing that I tell people your age that I've become friends with at my university. Please, do not give up on your dream of becoming a Doctor. You have plenty of time to work in your life. Take a step back and really think what you want out of life. If being a Doctor is what you want, then take the time to be one. The lifestyle of a Doctor is much different from that of a PA. Look at all the factors: cost, time committment, quality of life, happiness, etc etc. Don't let outside pressures influence YOUR life and the direction it takes. Take control of YOUR OWN PATH. Hang in there and good luck.

Archived