Doesn't it Worry You?

Doesn't it worry you you that half of this board wishes they went to medical school and the other half is trying to justify why they made their decision? As a current applicant reading through all these threads, it is pretty tough to stay positive about my career choice. If you go to any other forum, I can guarantee you that their members aren't continuously focused on justifying their career to themselves and others. It seems as if this whole board is only focused on that one objective.

Anyways, this is what I've noticed in my hour or so of browsing.

Doesn't it worry you you that half of this board wishes they went to medical school and the other half is trying to justify why they made their decision? As a current applicant reading through all these threads, it is pretty tough to stay positive about my career choice. If you go to any other forum, I can guarantee you that their members aren't continuously focused on justifying their career to themselves and others. It seems as if this whole board is only focused on that one objective.

nope.... i go to sleep at night happy with my career decision. this forum is a very small subset of "PA-dom" ....

I am wasting my time to say your calculation of half of anything is a severe misinterpretation. Also, Pre-PA is not a career choice. That's like a Pre-Med student stating their career is a MD or DO. Good luck choosing to get accepted to PA school. If you are already having doubts, choose med school.

All you really need to be concerned about is that you thoroughly research all the different professions that practice medicine (or nursing, if you wanna get picky regarding NP), & make sure you pick the one that is right for you. There's a good chance you're going to get asked that question during an interview anyway, so you might as well dive deep into the subject matter & see where you want to end up. Every one of those professions has its pros & cons, & you should make sure you know all of them for each profession before deciding, & not just the ones for PA.

It doesn't really worry me. I'm already under no delusion that I'll like every part of my job. I'm already expecting to become inwardly annoyed or frustrated at times by certain physicians or patients who don't understand or appreciate PAs and their role in healthcare delivery. I'm already getting practice at this when I tell people I'm going to PA school and they say, "Oh yeah, physical therapist (or public accountant, haha). Cool." We as PAs (or future PAs, in my case) have a lot of informing to do with the general public, and with physicians to some extent as well.

But I know who I am and what I want out of life. A PA career will cooperate better with the rest of my life than a physician career. I feel really lucky that I can still be involved in medical practice without becoming a physician. I probably could have had a well-balanced life as a physician eventually but my late-20s/early-30s would be a blur. This way, I can have a career earlier and have a family earlier and still be a medical practitioner. I'm a pretty agreeable person who loves being on a team. I'm not the type of person who craves total control. So, I'm thinking being a PA will work quite well for me. If it doesn't, it's possible to change if I want it badly enough. There are no perfect things in life, including careers, but I think I chose the better career for me.

That sounds like an honest observation to make. This is because posters like "Contrarian" troll these threads and ridicule, bash, and disrupt any other type of discussions. They are so quick to label people trolls yet they are the disruptive trolls.

Four years as a PA and love going to work each day. I have never created a thread asking about career satisfaction or new career possibilities because I AM HAPPY. Unhappy people are more likely to post than someone who is happy. ALSO, I think many people onthis board are very content. This is a forum where alot of criticism of the professional takes place in a constructive manner...sometimes it can be confused with dislike. If you luck out and get accepted to a real PA school I think you will find an enjoyable career.

It doesn't really worry me. I'm already under no delusion that I'll like every part of my job. I'm already expecting to become inwardly annoyed or frustrated at times by certain physicians or patients who don't understand or appreciate PAs and their role in healthcare delivery. I'm already getting practice at this when I tell people I'm going to PA school and they say, "Oh yeah, physical therapist (or public accountant, haha). Cool."

I got "Production Assistant" a few weeks ago... As in help making movies.

That sounds like an honest observation to make. This is because posters like "Contrarian" troll these threads and ridicule, bash, and disrupt any other type of discussions. They are so quick to label people trolls yet they are the disruptive trolls.

Looks like someone is still a little "butt-hurt"... :heheh:

Again...

half of this board wishes they went to medical school and the other half is trying to justify why they made their decision

Is NOT a fair and "honest observation." There is no way that it could be. Especially considering that its impossible to gleen the "wishes" of half of 30,000+ registered forum members reading here for only "about a hour or so."

Its actually a erroneous and bogus "either/or" assertion and logical fallacy that is rather insulting (because a lot of us don't wish we went to school to become physicians nor do we feel the need to justify our career choices to anyone) and typical of the kinds of posts we used to regularly get from med students over at SDN who would come here to "stir it up."

But then again, YOU wouldn't know this because you have only been here long enough to get you little feelings hurt...:sadface:

Its simple math. There are only 2 "halfs" in a whole.

If the OP had written, 'A significant number of posters," or even 'it seems a third of the posters'... thus leaving room for those of us who really DON'T feel the need to "justify" our career choices to complete strangers on the inter-webs and who have no desire to be physicians, I wouldn't have even responded.

But to assert that "Half" of the posters here want to be physicians... and that the only other "Half" feels the need to justify NOT being physicians is BS.

Nope, not one bit. Maybe you should ask doctors. A lot of them say to me that PA is a better career choice. I had one 1st year intern say: "I find the mid-level provider lever kinda iffy." Whatever. You are an intern. I like what the attendings are saying better. They have more experience to back up such statements.

Looks like someone is still a little "butt-hurt"... :heheh:

Again...

Is NOT a fair and "honest observation." There is no way that it could be. Especially considering that its impossible to gleen the "wishes" of half of 30,000+ registered forum members reading here for only "about a hour or so."

Its actually a erroneous and bogus "either/or" assertion and logical fallacy that is rather insulting (because a lot of us don't wish we went to school to become physicians nor do we feel the need to justify our career choices to anyone) and typical of the kinds of posts we used to regularly get from med students over at SDN who would come here to "stir it up."

But then again, YOU wouldn't know this because you have only been here long enough to get you little feelings hurt...:sadface:

Its simple math. There are only 2 "halfs" in a whole.

If the OP had written, 'A significant number of posters," or even 'it seems a third of the posters'... thus leaving room for those of us who really DON'T feel the need to "justify" our career choices to complete strangers on the inter-webs and who have no desire to be physicians, I wouldn't have even responded.

But to assert that "Half" of the posters here want to be physicians... and that the only other "Half" feels the need to justify NOT being physicians is BS.

81416686.jpg

I can't wait for your next novel. You take much too much time writing responses. Take it easy, no one here regards your input as important.

One night At work the call service routed me from my work in the laboratory to a provider who wasn't even on call. This individual stepped up to help deal with a potentially critical situation with a patient that wasn't theirs. They were on vacation, and it was 0300. They took the patients information and called them up at home to find out if they were doing ok. The patient later complained, and was furious that they were disturbed in the middle of the night. My response was that I would be touched that someone went out of their way to ensure my safety like that provider did. Someone people will never be grateful for any assistance they get. However, I am grateful to contrarian, because he is like forward looking radar that is adept at identifying d-bags. The beauty is that the d-bags most often go ahead and confirm that they are indeed d-bags when they follow up post like you do, painbaler. Had you not done that, we could have all sat around and wondered if contrarian was actually right about you or not. Well played, painbaler!

tumblr_m4q07wVRDm1rnfdl2.gif

this is too easy

On my days off I watch tivo falling skies and the walking dead. sometimes burn notice but that's about it. probably 2 hrs of TV/week.

I'm at work right now in fact at my rural per diem job. we're having a special on drug od's today.....

Naahh it some young, immature, paintballer, gamer, wanna-be dude, who really hadn't done much in his life, who on one hand is subconsciously afraid he doesn't have what it takes to buckle down and actually get admitted to medical school, but on the other hand thinks he is too good/advanced/smart to "settle" with being a PA.

He probably has a hand full of high achievers in his immeadiate family and is probably getting increasing pressure to "get off the couch and on the case" since he spent quite a bit of his time "gaming."

He has probably seen a few PAs, read a little about the profession, and now thinks that he has it ALL figured out.

He has likely spent a considerable amount of time on SDN ("a hour or so") and identifies with that crowd much more so than this one. You know because most of them over there are younger and smarter than the old and "mature" (not meant as a compliment) folks here.

The "douche-baggery" and "A$$-hattery" will simply escalate until banned.

Just a guess on my part.... :heheh:

Naahh it some young, immature, paintballer, gamer, wanna-be dude, who really hadn't done much in his life, who on one hand is subconsciously afraid he doesn't have what it takes to buckle down and actually get admitted to medical school, but on the other hand thinks he is too good/advanced/smart to "settle" with being a PA.

He probably has a hand full of high achievers in his immeadiate family and is probably getting increasing pressure to "get off the couch and on the case" since he spent quite a bit of his time "gaming."

He has probably seen a few PAs, read a little about the profession, and now thinks that he has it ALL figured out.

He has likely spent a considerable amount of time on SDN ("a hour or so") and identifies with that crowd much more so than this one. You know because most of them over there are younger and smarter than the old and "mature" (not meant as a compliment) folks here.

The "douche-baggery" and "A$$-hattery" will simply escalate until banned.

Just a guess on my part.... :heheh:

this guy is a goldmine

no job is perfect, and it's always what you make of it *shrug*

with that said if you're young, and you want to do medicine, better off going to med school

for me, i did the PA thing, and i'm happy

good luck!

Archived