Do you have to be an "outgoing" person to be a PA?

I'm kind of a quiet person. I have no problems talking with patients but when it comes to co-workers and the everyday chatter, I usually have nothing to add.

How big of a problem might this be?

I've been demoted in past jobs because of my quiet nature even though I was the hardest working and most efficient person there. Unfortunately, the issue of popularity always seems to come into play in the adult-world even though I was told constantly that all of that will cease once high school was over; it hasn't.

So, how much time do PAs have to sit around and socialize with each other like I've noticed with the nurses? I'm hoping that we'll usually be so busy that no one will have time to notice my quiet nature.

Guest hubbardtim48

If I worked with you I could care less if you talked to me or not...that is just me, but I guess those "chatter" boxes might care, but who really cares? Just be a patient advocate (speak up when needed) and the rest is whatever you want to do with your 8, 12 hour shift. No one is forcing you to talk, but being demoted in past jobs???? hhmmmmm that sounds weird to me...were you a AT&T rep on the phone all day cause if you were and didn't talk then yes I understand the demoted part, but if it was not then what the heck is up with that...?

It's good to know that you wouldn't care but other people seem to take it personally or something. I was an assistant manager at a restaurant and I never had any problems with my job or managing others, but the people I worked with were very outgoing and they liked to talk and joke around a lot. Unfortunately, I'm the complete opposite and they seemed bothered by it and they were constantly asking why I was so quiet. Eventually, the manager decided to put someone else in my place because she felt I wasn't "ready" to be an assistant manager even though she didn't have any specific complaints about my work.

So now I'm really cautious when choosing jobs. I don't want my personality to overshadow my performance.

Let's put it this way- being even just somewhat outgoing helps tremendously with inter-hospital or inter-clinic relations. It makes it easier to approach people about minor issues when people recognize you as someone who is also approachable and friendly. This is no big secret- it's broadly applied in the professional world. In an area such as the ED, which is truly a team sport, being outgoing and approachable helps everything run smoothly. Plus, you need your "team" around to be able to blow off steam in such a high-pressure environment in the downtime.

Let's put it this way- being even just somewhat outgoing helps tremendously with inter-hospital or inter-clinic relations. It makes it easier to approach people about minor issues when people recognize you as someone who is also approachable and friendly. This is no big secret- it's broadly applied in the professional world. In an area such as the ED, which is truly a team sport, being outgoing and approachable helps everything run smoothly. Plus, you need your "team" around to be able to blow off steam in such a high-pressure environment in the downtime.

Thanks for being straight forward. I'm starting to think that healthcare may not be the best place for me. I've finally accepted the fact that I'm going to always be a quiet and reserved person. Now I just have to find a career that fits. :) Thanks again.

Hi there,

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I only ask because I used to be very quiet and reserved, this was when I was in the military. Except that this was a positive quality in the military. When I became a nurse and as I became older, I softened up quite a bit. I used to call myself a social retard, but opening up was a good change for me.

It might not truly answer your question fully, but every PA I have worked for (as a nurse), has always been talkative. By this I mean that they were approachable and warmhearted, this always helped their patients to open up and speak out about their questions/concerns. I imagine this would be important for PA's. It might be a little bit different if you worked in emergency medicine, not a whole lot of talking there. Other than patient interactions, which you stated wouldn't be a problem, I don't forsee a need to be a chatterbox with co-workers. That doesn't mean that you don't need to have tact while talking with them. Afterall, PA's usually work as part of a team.

Thanks for being straight forward. I'm starting to think that healthcare may not be the best place for me. I've finally accepted the fact that I'm going to always be a quiet and reserved person. Now I just have to find a career that fits. :) Thanks again.

Are you sure you aren't experiencing anxiety?

Hi there,

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I only ask because I used to be very quiet and reserved, this was when I was in the military. Except that this was a positive quality in the military. When I became a nurse and as I became older, I softened up quite a bit. I used to call myself a social retard, but opening up was a good change for me.

It might not truly answer your question fully, but every PA I have worked for (as a nurse), has always been talkative. By this I mean that they were approachable and warmhearted, this always helped their patients to open up and speak out about their questions/concerns. I imagine this would be important for PA's. It might be a little bit different if you worked in emergency medicine, not a whole lot of talking there. Other than patient interactions, which you stated wouldn't be a problem, I don't forsee a need to be a chatterbox with co-workers. That doesn't mean that you don't need to have tact while talking with them. Afterall, PA's usually work as part of a team.

Thanks for the insight. I guess I should shadow a few PAs to gain better insight into the profession and the people. Thanks for your help.

Oh and btw, I'm 24. :)

I don't know. It's possible. I've always been the quiet kid though. I don't know why but I just never seem to have anything to say.

You should consider seeing a psychiatrist and get evaluated if you really want to work in healthcare. Don't give up on goals so easily. You may be a few therapy sessions away from being a great provider.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I used to be shy and reserved but without intending to I ended up doing end user tech support and had to talk to people on the phone and in person all the time. You get used to it. Really used to it. Being in tech was great practice for health care. It's also easier to talk to people when you're playing an expert role. People are less concerned about you being bubbly when you're there to do something like fix their computer or start their IV. You're only 24. Maybe get a little more life experience before you throw in the towel. I'm 44 and applying to PA school. You have time to figure out if healthcare is something you can do.

Being quiet is not a bad thing at all. As long as you have no problem doing so with confidence when you need to. At an interview I went to last year there was a guy who was exactly as you described; very quiet & reserved, didn't talk much at all the whole day - but he got in :)

I wasn't in any of the interviews with him, so I don't know how he actually did during the interview, but he must have done very well. It's more of a confidence thing I think.

I have had students very similar to this in the past. One girl I had in class barely ever spoke at all, but she was very smart. When we did a class on interviewing where they all had to be interviewed in front of the class, even I was suprised when she knocked it out of the park. She was probably like you - she just didn't have anything to say. But when she did, eveyone was darn sure listening. Be the mouse that roars!

I am solidly introverted and find small talk for the sake of small talk difficult and sometimes irritating. People constantly asked me why I was so quiet when I was growing up. When I have something to say, I will say it! Pick up a copy of "The Introvert Adavantage" by Marti Olsen Laney, Ph.D. and see if this sounds like you. Although I do agree there are areas of medicine which require a more extroverted personality (i.e the ER as previously discussed), I don't think being less outgoing is necessarily a "Do Not Enter" sign to caring for patients as a practitioner. Be honest in deciding whether you like people or not.

My background is in the lab and I still love basic science research. Some days, I want to go back there. But then I will have patients that push my heart button, are joys to work with, and leave me feeling like I have done something of value in having the privilege to help them. That is pretty amazing. When you enter an exam room, your conversations with your patients are very focused. Plus, the art of small talk can definitely be learned, even if you never love it. I have found that I really enjoy finding out something about my patients not related to their chief complaint.

So keep exploring how you really feel about working with people. There will be challenges in any environment with your fellow human beings unless you become a hermit. Just be really, really honest with yourself and explore the areas you are considering. Plus, all those extroverts out there NEED us quiet folks to listen to their incessant chatter!! :;;D:

Ever take a Myers Brigg personality test? One of the most respected students in class maxes out that scale as a true introvert. He rarely speaks but when he does, he says very intelligent things. He isn't shy to smile and listen when people are talking but he doesn't always feel like he has to have something to say... unlike me :-)

Personally, I think the view given about how being a bit outgoing helps things running smoother is spot on. However, that advice melds nicely with my personality. I have never tried to work as an introvert and have little to no idea if I would do a good or poor job.

I don't think you need to reconsider your career as a PA just because you don't partake in the "office chatter." I work in an ER as a tech and people are constantly talking during periods of downtime, whereas I'm usually studying or reading blogs on my phone. I'm not socially inept and have an active social life outside of work, but I've never been inclined to be highly opinionated and vocal in every single discussion, nor do I get uncomfortable with silence as many people do. However, when it comes to interacting with patients I truly love making conversation.

If you love patient care and are a hard worker, I think you would make an excellent PA. Being a successful healthcare worker is about being competent and compassionate, not about being popular with your coworkers. If you can shift your sentiments on being introverted from feeling inadequate to embracing and owning that aspect of your personality, then I think you will shape up to be successful regardless of what you ultimately pursue.

I agree with the above post by "Arjun." No, you do not need to be an "outgoing" personality to be a PA. Having worked in a variety of acute settings for over 2 years now including the ER (mostly fast track), MICU and neurology stroke service you can have good/excellent repoire with team members while having an introverted personality. As long as the provider is caring for the patients (met many fellow healthcare workers - nurses, PAs, MDs who are so jaded just in it for the payheck now), respectful (not an arrogant $@#@) and communicates well there shouldn't be a problem (a big plus if you work hard and help out your team members if you are caught up instead of sitting around chattering all day/ or surfing the internet).

CuriousGeorge88I'm kind of a quiet person. I have no problems talking with patients but when it comes to co-workers and the everyday chatter, I usually have nothing to add.

How big of a problem might this be?

It depends on how much of an introvert you really are. The profession is about focusing externally on helping others which is typically a profession that requires good connections with others...not just the patients but with the other team members. This is not to say that introverts cannot and do not make great clinicians....they just have bit more to overcome with their natural tendency to focus inward which can often be read as cool or aloof. Another consideration regarding choosing this profession is the ability to

endure people constantly throughout any given day. From the moment I arrive in the morning till the end of my day, I am surrounded by people and must interact with not only my patients but with other team members ,admins etc. This can be extremely taxing for those who don't enjoy a people profession..there isn't an opt out of this requirement in the profession. The interactions I'm speaking of aren't "social" or "popularity" driven interaction rather mandatory communication surrounding the job itself.

I've been demoted in past jobs because of my quiet nature even though I was the hardest working and most efficient person there.

Being a PA isn't just about working hard and being efficient but encompasses also being a team player who has a collegial relationship with others. Plenty of people can be "quiet" but if this tips over to being averse to forming good working relationships with others it will be a problem. While you might not want to hang out with work colleagues socially, there is immense value in being able to network professionally.

As another pointed out...there is great value in being seen as outgoing,helpful and approachable to not only patients but to other team members in this profession.

BTW: I'm an extrovert and can't tell you how an introvert approaches the PA profession. Hopefully other introverts will share. Good luck in your career choice.

ESTJ. EMEDPA, what does the N stand for? The test I took had Sensing vs Intuition as the 2nd letter.

Edit: answered my own Q:

The second letter in a personality type name corresponds to the preference within sensing-intuition pair: “S” stands for sensing and “N” stands for intuition (to distinguish from “I” for introverted attitude).

INTP, but right on the cusp of T & F and P & J. EMEDPA I knew there was a reason I enjoyed your posts so much.

I strongly recommend Meyers-Briggs. Very good for explaining you to you. For me it explains my love of variety and my high degree of tolerance for all sorts of people (up to a point). History of mental illness, on methadone, bad social situation, obesity, difficulty managing medical condition = OK, we can work with this. Lie to me (Junkies anyone?) or don't do your job and you'll be wishing you never met me.

I find other people very interesting in an intellectual more than touchy-feely way. Patients still appreciate being listened to no matter why I do it and I still tear up when one of our frequent flyers dies.

Take the test, get a little older, you'll figure it out.

Archived