Interviews?? 2012-2013

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have any questions you can send me a PM. I graduated in the c/o 2011 and have been practicing for one year. I'm still in contact with the program. I also have several friends applying this year. So if I hear of anyone getting invites, I'll post here to let you know that they have started calling people.

Excellent! I will be the "recent grad" speaking at your interview orientation on Aug 27. I suggest that you plan on attending the optional dinner that same night as well as the optional class. None of these activities will weigh on your admissions possibilties but they will give you peace of mind! Let me know if you have any questions - you can PM me if you like.

Awesome news! I just got my letter from UF showing that they had all of my stuff and its been forwarded to the committee. Not sure if I am early enough to get an August interview (if selected of course) but i'll keep posted. cjones - when was your app officially complete and fully submitted?

fennga - if you applied last year you can ask the committee to review your application and let you know what you could do to improve. Of course, it's probably too late for this cycle since the committee is in the throes of reviewing hundreds of apps. Good luck to you all! But this advice will also apply to anyone else who applies and doesn't get an interview or who interviews and doesn't get in :-)

Congrats to those starting to get interview invites, I was in your position exactly this time last year. I'm in my first semester at the UF PA program, so if anyone has any questions about the process I'll be glad to help out. I'm sure I'll also be making an appearance at the informal dinners with students. I absolutely second what woodsters said, it's a great opportunity to hear the "real deal" from those of us who have been there and lived to tell the tale!

Hello. Did you attend the open house in March? There were a couple of grads and current students who spoke to the prospective students when I went. I recieved an email notification a couple of weeks ago stating that my application is complete. I guess I'm just anxious about what may happen next. I applied early, and I have also been in contact with Cathleen. Are there any suggestions you could give me?

I was at the April and May sessions so we didn't meet. For now, just wait patiently. There are six interview sessions and everytime students are selected for the next one, you'll get reconsidered :-) I haven't heard if they've finalized the first selection of interviewees so you might still hear something in time for August 27 :-) It's worth the wait so hang in there!

I got a call from Cathleen a few days ago and was invited to interview!!! They offered me a spot for the first interview session in August, but I told them that September would be better for me b/c of my work schedule. It seems they are pretty flexible on scheduling interviews. Best of luck to everyone!

@emilygwallis - the forum doesn't really permit sharing info on interview particulars such as questions that are asked. That said, here's some helpful advice from a c/o 2011 grad:

First of all, if UF has granted you an interview, the committee already thinks that you, at least "on paper", have what it takes to succeed. There have already been hundreds of applications received and you were not chosen at random. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone who is interviewed is accepted. Sometimes things just don't mesh during an interview. That's why it's important to RELAX, be the "you" that you portrayed in your application, "dress for success" and don't worry about memorizing answers to potential interview questions. They want to get to know YOU, not the you that you've memorized.

The interview process at UF has a dual purpose - 1. you need to decide if the school is a good fit for you and 2. the school needs to decide if you are a good fit for it.

The first day, in your case August 27, is very informative and relaxed. The first impressions start on this day so arrive ON TIME. Dress is business casual. You will participate in a group activity, hear from the admissions coordinator and the financial aid guru, listen to an overview of the program from CURRENT students, go on a tour of the classrooms/library/other facilities (wear comfortable shoes). You will also have the opportunity to go to an OPTIONAL dinner (at your expense) with current students. DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY. This is where current students (the one's who just matriculated) will talk with you about the interview process, program, etc. Nothing is shared with the faculty and it does not impact your admissions decision. It will, however, give you peace of mind. The faculty is fully aware that the dinner occurs and they give their blessing to students to share the good, the bad and the ugly. They truly want you to have every opportunity to get the information you need so that you can make an informed decision about attending the University of Florida if given the opportunity.

The second day of the interview process is when you actually do the interviews. It will either be the Tuesday or Wednesday of your interview week. You will interview individually, one-on-one with up to 4 interviews (one at a time). Dress is professional. Be sure to dress the part - it does affect impressions. At the optional dinner you can ask students about the actual questions. It's nothing that you need to "prepare for" - it is literally "all about you", a subject that should not require you to memorize anything. HA!

You will be given the OPTION of attending an actual medicine lecture. It is not required and does not impact your admissions decision. But again, it gives peace of mind so do it.

You will find this to be the most relaxed interview you could hope for. So, be excited, but don't be nervous. Be the real you!

I'll be the "recent grad" at your interview on August 27 so see you then!

Archived