Interviews?? 2012-2013

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there! I'm interviewing in the last session and hoping to join in the "happy dance" of those who were accepted. Congratulations!

Woodsters, I noticed that you are very active on this board. Do you hold a "title" in your class? Are you the official greeter? Because just reading your posts helps me feel more comfortable with this whole process.

Adrianne - I was the president of the class of 2011. I have been a practicing PA for about 14 months now. I currently precept second year PA students from UF in primary care. I will be at the October 29 and November 19 interviews as the "recent grad". You said you are interviewing in the last session. Do you mean December 3?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I was offered an interview for the months of Oct, Nov and Dec. I had to choose the December interview dates because of other circumstances. I am wondering if I hurt myself by doing this since applicants are receiving acceptance to the school or if I still have some what of a shot of getting in. Would they cancel my interview if they accepted the max amount of people beforehand? Congrats to everyone who got accepted though! It is very exciting!

If you read earlier posts you will see where this had been addressed. UF will never interview more people at a GIVEN interview slot than there are seats remaining. Everyone who interviews has a chance of getting a seat. There will still be as many seats in the class remaining at your interview date as there are people in the room interviewing. Everyone has hope of getting in. The only disadvantage that I see is that IF you had interviewed earlier then everytime they offer a seat to a new interviewee they would also go back and reconsider people who interviewed prior. Meaning if you had interviewed in October but not accepted your name would still be in consideration every time they interviewed a new batch.

The good news about waiting until the end is that you won't have to wait long to find out if you are accepted, wait listed or rejected. The class should be "fielded" by Christmas break. If you get a letter saying you are waitlisted, the waiting game begins again. Some who have accepted seats in the class will wind up pulling out and the only real deadline after that is when classes start at the end of June. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck!

The next interview is November 19. I haven't heard if it's filled yet. Although they've invited some people to the December 3 interview I doubt that they will fill all the interview slots until after the November 19 interview session. So there's still hope. As for me, I graduated in 2011. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear. And if your dream is to be a Gator PA, just hang on - it's worth the wait!

The next interview is November 19. I haven't heard if it's filled yet. Although they've invited some people to the December 3 interview I doubt that they will fill all the interview slots until after the November 19 interview session. So there's still hope. As for me, I graduated in 2011. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear. And if your dream is to be a Gator PA, just hang on - it's worth the wait!

Hi, I was wondering if the program always sends out some form of response to applicants, either an interview invite, waitlist or rejection letter, or if they sometimes don't send any response at all? Thanks for all other helpful information you have posted on here!!

The University of Florida receives on average 1000 applications per year for its PA program. They interview about 120 people. Those who get interviews will get a phone call inviting them. 4 of the 6 planned interview sessions have been completed. The fifth session is next week. If you don't get an invitation by December 3, you won't get one this cycle. There's no feasible way to notify about 900 people that they were rejected this cycle for an interview. You will either get invited, or you will be rejected by virtue of a lack of invitation. For those who interview, if they are given a seat they will be called on the phone. The class will be "finalized" around the middle to end of december. At that point, those who were interviewed but not selected will be told that they were either wait listed or rejected. If waitlisted, the waiting game begins again as some of those selected will opt to go elsewhere. If you applied but were not interviewed or were interviewed and not accepted, you can always write to the program and ask for a review of your application in hopes of receiving information that will help you improve for the next round. Typically the answer will be to either take some more advanced sciences or get more experience. It's getting tougher and tougher to get into UF so hang in there, don't let go of your dream!

@cblanca - don't give up yet! If you don't hear by December 3 at 1 pm you likely won't get an interview this year. I have heard (but it might be speculation) that they reserve the "right" to hold one more session in january if they don't feel they can field a class from the 120 interviewed in the six regularly scheduled sessions - but I haven't heard of this actually happening in the last few years.

@angie05 - that is a well kept secret. There will always be enough seats remaining for those at a given interview. So, everyone interviewing on November 19 has a chance to fill an empty seat. And they won't interview more people on December 3 than there are seats left after November 19. I'd venture to say that most decisions will be made after everyone has interviewed. hang in there.

Welcome aulan! I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. I'll be the recent grad speaking to your orientation group. Be sure to get there on time - maybe go out early to find the building and search out parking options. Gainesville is a tow-happy city so be sure to park legally :-) There's some parallel parking along SW 16th Ave that is free. You can park in one of the hospital garages for $10. Anyway, be on time, be rested, be calm :-) See you tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

I just arrived in Gainesville an hour ago. Orientation is tomorrow and interviews are tuesday morning. I'm admittedly pretty nervous. Cathleen told me there are 3 1x1 interviews, but I'm curious if anyone has any specific advice. Other than the obvious questions like "tell us about yourself" "define pa" etc., are there any unexpected questions that I might be asked? Just looking for anything that might help me feel slightly more prepared. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

Cody - be sure to go to the dinner tonight . First year students will answer all of your "what kind of things do they ask" questions. Essentially, UF's interview is a two way thing - they want to get to know you, and they want to be sure they've given you enough information to decide if UF is right for you if you are accepted. Essentially the interview is "conversational" - get to know one another kind of thing. You are the subject of the conversation so be ready to talk about yourself. It's usually very laid back so relax.

Archived