Why I love PCP medicine and being on the front lines - case study in works

routine annual on 48 yr old male

health maintenance - like just about everyone stressed out with COVID,  gained 10 lbs, has some calf pain with climbing ladders and some left flank pain for the past year that is not related to anything, works construction.

EKG - sorry on the rotated view - 

image.png.f8791932fc34da0c05f76a3beb9ec1d0.png

Students and new grads - what do you think??

New File_1.pdf

• Upvote 1

Let me try out my EKG reading skills . . .

Rate:  approx. 84 bpm

Rhythm:  irregularly irregular

Axis:  normal

P waves are present before each QRS.  QRS is narrow.  T waves are present and not peaked.  Normal R wave progression over precordial leads.

I originally wanted to say A-fib, but it can't be because there are P waves.  Calf pain could be related to possible DVT (although less likely if it's bilateral) or bad peripheral circulation.  Left flank pain--kidney??

So I have some basic observations but am not sure how to put all this together.  Please correct me and teach me more.  🙂

Edit:  I just reviewed some EKGs, and it looks like what you've presented may be a wandering atrial pacemaker, since it has at least 3 different morphologies for the P waves, is between 60-100 bpm, and has an irregularly irregular rhythm.

Edited by Aunt Val
  • Upvote 1

I think that's just sinus Arrhythmia. Looks like left axis devation and LVH (aVF has tall R wave)... Maybe atria enlargement (looks fuzzy and hurts my neck haha).

Some of those ST segments don't look right either but could be the image and me looking on my phone.

Any other sx?

I'll take another look later tonight.

Edit after looking at a better picture:

Normal axis. Still can't really tell about the atria...the P waves in v1 are still blurry for me. 

Does the patient take digoxin? The ST segments look slurred.

Not sure about the flank pain or weight gain...

Edited by TheFatMan

11 hours ago, TheFatMan said:

I think that's just sinus Arrhythmia. Looks like left axis devation and LVH (aVF has tall R wave)... Maybe atria enlargement (looks fuzzy and hurts my neck haha).

Some of those ST segments don't look right either but could be the image and me looking on my phone.

Any other sx?

I'll take another look later tonight.

Edit after looking at a better picture:

Normal axis. Still can't really tell about the atria...the P waves in v1 are still blurry for me. 

Does the patient take digoxin? The ST segments look slurred.

Not sure about the flank pain or weight gain...

Thanks for reposting the rotated 12 lead!

If I recall the esoteric criteria for LVH outside of the standard S wave in V1 or V2 + R wave in V5 or V6 being >35...

aVL > 12 (remember this as the "l" and the "v" are both in the word twelve)

aVF> 20 (Remember this as "Fo' Twenny", I wasn't the most responsible young man)

aVR > 14 (I've got nothing fancy for this one)

Doesn't quite seem to meet these limits.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Thanks for reposting the rotated 12 lead!

If I recall the esoteric criteria for LVH outside of the standard S wave in V1 or V2 + R wave in V5 or V6 being >35...

aVL > 12 (remember this as the "l" and the "v" are both in the word twelve)

aVF> 20 (Remember this as "Fo' Twenny", I wasn't the most responsible young man)

aVR > 14 (I've got nothing fancy for this one)

Doesn't quite seem to meet these limits.

Ah, yeah. Thanks! aVF looked taller with my head turned 😅

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ventana said:

Vital stable

look at the life threats first.....

people are commenting on ST "looking funny"

What looks "funny"

any other findings that might go with the above???

In leads II, III, aVF, v5, and v6 there is a gradual downward curve of the ST segment with some very minimal ST depression. Looks like digitalis effect. 

The P waves aren't very distinct, but do II, III and aVF have significant Q waves? Possible inferior infarction?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheFatMan said:

In leads II, III, aVF, v5, and v6 there is a gradual downward curve of the ST segment with some very minimal ST depression. Looks like digitalis effect. 

The P waves aren't very distinct, but do II, III and aVF have significant Q waves? Possible inferior infarction?

Criteria for significant Q waves? Go!

7 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Criteria for significant Q waves? Go!

I'm sure it's more nuanced than this but off the top of my head >1mm wide (that's what I think I'm seeing but it's hard for me to see where the p waves end and the q waves start in this ecg), and >2mm deep. I believe if they're only seen in v5 and v6 its a normal variant.

Appreciate the pimping!

Edited by TheFatMan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ventana said:

Next step?

Was going to see if anyone wanted to chime in.

Okay so I did a little looking. I'm thinking inferior ST depression and ST changes in v2/3. Hes asymptomatic right now but concerning for old anterior MI. 

I'd get a trop and chest xray, look for old ecgs and repeat the ecg in an hour.

Full disclosure - we haven't had cards yet and it's Friday so I'm having a Brandy.

20 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Can an old medic share a hint?   Consider moving lead 4 to the right side of the chest and repeating the 12 lead.

What would you be looking for here? V4R has great sensitivity/specificity for identifying RV involvement in an RCA OMI but I'm not seeing an acute process occurring here or STE?

Asking out of curiosity, not snark 🙂

22 hours ago, TheFatMan said:

@Aunt Val you want to take a stab?

You're good.  😉  I've been busy the last couple days with my unfortunately-non-PA temp job.

So my first observations on the EKG apparently weren't quite right.  I'm enjoying looking over other people's discussion though.  Not sure what else to offer at this point besides comparing past EKGs and maybe getting a repeat.

6 hours ago, ventana said:

ok

so this was a routine EKG as part of an annual PE

he feels fine

no + ROS except the calf pain when on ladders.....

next step?

At this point I'm just kind of guessing... But   my next guess is compare to old ekg...check electrolytes, consider scheduling outpatient stress test. 

Can someone steer me in the general direction or give a resource to look at. Kind of busy with finals the next two weeks but I want to figure this out.

Edited by TheFatMan
  • Like 1