PA work responsibilities

Quick questions for all of you on here that have been practicing for a while as I have (10 years, but a little over 1 at this current position)...

I want to run a list of the things my supervising is demanding I do...and want to see if anyone else does these things or even thinks they are fair.  Keep in mind, these things were never discussed before starting the job.

1.  Complete brief operative notes and Final operative notes for all cases.

2.  Draw medications and set up room for lumbar and cervical Epidural injections.  Then prep the injection site.  Then run the c-arm during the injection.  Then clean the patient and walk them to the lobby. Then operative note like stated above.

3.  Look over the possible surgical patients, help put in the request for surgical authorization.  Keep a list of possible surgical patients seen by all providers (2 new doctors were just added).  This means looking over the charts from all clinics and seeing who was suggested for surgery.  Then making sure they are authorized and then moving toward surgery. Make sure labs and clearance are done.

4. See patients in my own clinic and help with those on MDs clinic.  Do my own note and scribe all notes for MD as well.

5. Round on all patients in the hospital

6. Take call every night of the week and weekends.

7.  Be in the operating room every other Saturday at our own surgical center.  This means doing all the above discussed for surgery and op notes.  Typically a 12 hour day.

8.  Create electronic versions of all forms that the doctors thinks might be helpful

When hired on I was told I would be a normal surgical/clinic PA as I had done for 10 years already at another practice.  NO talk of Saturdays or this other administrative/MA/scheduler work.

When confronted about it, the supervising/owner responds that it is all part of my job since i'm salaried.  

Thoughts?!

27 minutes ago, Arthropathy said:

You have 10 years experience and are asking if this is normal? 

Keep this in mind.  I was at the same practice with the same physician for 10 years.  Then had to relocate.

Odd thing being, the last few practices I have talked to seem to be falling more towards this same line.  I had a large state wide ortho practice tell me that they have moved to having the PAs do all their own MA and administrative work as that was the "national trend" and if I didn't like it they "would just hire a new grad that would do whatever they wanted."

So...I'm just trying to get a feel as to what is really the "norm" now.  Think of me has having had blinders on for 10 years and trying to see the situation clearly now.

15 hours ago, dmonde said:

Keep this in mind.  I was at the same practice with the same physician for 10 years.  Then had to relocate.

Odd thing being, the last few practices I have talked to seem to be falling more towards this same line.  I had a large state wide ortho practice tell me that they have moved to having the PAs do all their own MA and administrative work as that was the "national trend" and if I didn't like it they "would just hire a new grad that would do whatever they wanted."

So...I'm just trying to get a feel as to what is really the "norm" now.  Think of me has having had blinders on for 10 years and trying to see the situation clearly now.

Then tell them to hire a new grad and see how it works out trying to teach them and do all that nonsense. Bye felicia

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1