Are my coworkers and I being dramatic?

Just a check in. I know that legally my company is well within their right to do this, because my state has very little protections for workers. But we are all angry and annoyed by this. I know my only real recourse us to find another job, but right now it's tough. Other forums I've posted this in don't seem to think it's a big deal. 

I work for a hospital system in basically a walk in clinic/urgent care hybrid. We don't manage chronic meds, work up acute problems, ect. We used to be our own entity in the Healthcare system, but in the past 2 years have been integrated with family medicine.

When I was hired 5 years ago, the deal was we work 7 shifts in a 2 week period, work every other weekend, and have 6 paid holidays a year. 

This year, less than a month from the day, they decided to enforce a "policy they found" where since 4th of July is on a Saturday, the observed Federal holiday is on a Friday, so they're observing the holiday on Friday. So Family Practice gets a 3 day weekend. We, in the urgent cares, get a Friday off, then have to work on the 4th of July, without extra compensation. 

Previously, we have always been closed on the holiday. 

No matter how much we questioned and complained, they're not budging. They swear they're not going to implement this for Christmas and New Years next year, which are Saturdays, but I honestly am not holding my breath. 

The changed our operating hours/schedule with less than 30 days notice. If our nurses were to go anywhere else, including within the system, they would get time and a half for working on the 4th. It's just going to drive away the few good nurses we have. 

18 hours ago, kadiah said:

Just a check in. I know that legally my company is well within their right to do this, because my state has very little protections for workers. But we are all angry and annoyed by this. I know my only real recourse us to find another job, but right now it's tough. Other forums I've posted this in don't seem to think it's a big deal. 

I work for a hospital system in basically a walk in clinic/urgent care hybrid. We don't manage chronic meds, work up acute problems, ect. We used to be our own entity in the Healthcare system, but in the past 2 years have been integrated with family medicine.

When I was hired 5 years ago, the deal was we work 7 shifts in a 2 week period, work every other weekend, and have 6 paid holidays a year. 

This year, less than a month from the day, they decided to enforce a "policy they found" where since 4th of July is on a Saturday, the observed Federal holiday is on a Friday, so they're observing the holiday on Friday. So Family Practice gets a 3 day weekend. We, in the urgent cares, get a Friday off, then have to work on the 4th of July, without extra compensation. 

Previously, we have always been closed on the holiday. 

No matter how much we questioned and complained, they're not budging. They swear they're not going to implement this for Christmas and New Years next year, which are Saturdays, but I honestly am not holding my breath. 

The changed our operating hours/schedule with less than 30 days notice. If our nurses were to go anywhere else, including within the system, they would get time and a half for working on the 4th. It's just going to drive away the few good nurses we have. 

It isn't going to make you feel any better but your experience is not uncommon. My UC system was well designed and did what it was supposed to do and then they co-located us with FP, put us under their administrative team from top to bottom and then our parent company took on a "strategic partner" which means a company that is going to gut everything, slash costs any way they  can and drive for more work from us. They took all our contracts, stuck them in the shredder, and re-wrote everything. The only days we are closed is Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. There is no extra pay for holidays/weekends etc.

Several other things resulted from this. They changed the designations of the UCs to FP and bill that way. They have stupid and incorrect idea they can't bill UC rates because we are in the same building as FP (shrug). Then we COVID kicked off they gutted the UC system to "protect" the FP clinics. 65% of the PAs and NPs remain on furlough 9 weeks later with no end in sight and they fired a long time doctor for the sole reason of saving money.

This is the state of corporate urgent care. I'm considering every other opportunity I can find but, as I'm sure you know, with so many unemployed PAs and numbers generally being down across the board jobs are rare. I have a shot at a hospitalist position but I'm not sure how that will go as I haven't done inpatient work in years.

So I feel your pain. I too am in a state with no protection for employees. Our options are suck it up or find another job.

get another job

tell them you will only function wtih double time pay for holiday (legal or not)

get co-workers to do the same

Better yet - invite a union into your shop and have it represent all PA and NP - they can not fire you once you start this process.

I have never liked unions, but I am changing.  I think we as PA's are being treated unfairly in many many locations and the only way we can stand up to the corp greedy and bean counters is to stand together with a professional union.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ventana said:

get another job

tell them you will only function wtih double time pay for holiday (legal or not)

get co-workers to do the same

Better yet - invite a union into your shop and have it represent all PA and NP - they can not fire you once you start this process.

I have never liked unions, but I am changing.  I think we as PA's are being treated unfairly in many many locations and the only way we can stand up to the corp greedy and bean counters is to stand together with a professional union.....

Lots of small practices treat PAs even worse than corps..

• Upvote 1