Ask a PA Admissions Director

There has been a lot of hype about reading the "Getting into the PA School of Your Choice" and "How to Ace the PA Interview" books. I have read these books cover to cover to prepare for my interviews. My question to you is, as someone on the other side of the interview process, can you spot the applicants who read these books? Do you find their responses sincere or feel like you are interviewing the author Andrew Rodican?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these questions! I think I speak for everyone when I say reading through ALL of the questions is beyond helpful!

One of my LOR's is from a Distinguished fellow of the AAPA who has been practicing for over 30 years... do you guys know if that carries any weight given his distinction?

also,

I have 2 w/f and a D in one course due to a medical sickness and i have explained that in my personal narrative and i have a recommendation from the teacher that gave me the w/f explaining why her hands were tied in giving me that and then she goes on and gives me a great recommendation because after my recovery i have had straight A's in all of my prereqs...

i took it over it was AP2 and had a 108 avenge in there the teacher also wrote that she observed me coming in early and basically teach half the lab for that class.

i have over 600 HCE hours in a great variety of field with privalages as a student to one major hospital and a major medical center and this is all volunteer hours

@Jak13 Thank you for your questions! To be honest, I don't think many of our faculty members are too familiar with the books you're referring to; but that being said, we can easily pick up on the "cookie cutter" or "typical internet suggested questions" from applicants. These type of questions come across as the applicant "shopping around" or making us sell the program to you. I do realize the applicants want to make sure the program is a good fit for them so some of the "internet" questions may be beneficial to some degree, but I would really recommend applicants do their research on the program, school, region, mission/vision and healthcare needs surrounding the program in which they're applying to. Doing this will help you develop relevant questions that are program specific and show genuine interest in the vision/mission of the program. It may also be good to ask feedback from the admissions team on their thoughts about the program (i.e. their opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of the program, what could be done better, how do they think their students or program have the reputation that they do, etc). It excites our committee to hear genuine questions about the program and it will make a lasting impression. I hope this helps and best wishes!

Edited by paadmissions

@chrissy0022 Thanks for your questions. In regards to your question about the AAPA letter of recommendation. It may carry weight depending on how much emphasis the committee members put on LORs. To be honest, if the member of the AAPA doesn't know you like a professor or clinical supervisor would know you, in my opinion, it carries little weight. I think about it like if the LOR was from an alumni recommending someone for our program...if they've (the alumni) have observed the clinical competence, professionalism and intellectual ability of the applicant in a clinical setting, we see more value in the alumni's recommendation simply because they've observed the "potential" of the applicant in a clinical setting. Please don't take this as me saying that the AAPA member doesn't have a clue as to what is needed of a potential PA applicant other than you know what you're getting into, as I'm 100% sure that he/she is capable of making that call. However, if you've had the opportunity to spend quality clinical time with the AAPA member so he/she can observe the characteristics above, then yes, I think that letter will carry more weight than what I've mentioned.

And in regards to your coursework statements, I think you've provided sufficient justification and as much as we'd ask to see for your 2 WFs and D. If you've taken steps to improve those courses you've done what you need to and since you've successfully completed the prerequisites I'm hopeful you have demonstrated your academic ability. I hope this helps!

@btech Thank you for your questions and recommendation for a new blog. I'll see what I can come up with in the next few weeks for that! Interesting topic about the summer/winter courses. I can see where some can have the opinion about the courses being shorter and I've heard that some may view those type of courses to be easier because maybe another professor teaches that course during those times. I can see both sides of it, but I also think that since the courses are shorter you're also learning at a much more accelerated pace then what you would in a semester's time-which could be viewed as a benefit. I think it all depends on the instructor, how rigorous the course is and if all of the course objectives are covered. I'm an optimist and feel that most university level instructors make every effort to meet all of these above. Our program doesn't put a lot of emphasis on when applicants take the courses, but more emphasis on the course level and where the applicant took the class for the upper level biology and chemistry requirements. I hope this helps!

@chrissy0022 Thanks for your questions. In regards to your question about the AAPA letter of recommendation. It may carry weight depending on how much emphasis the committee members put on LORs. To be honest, if the member of the AAPA doesn't know you like a professor or clinical supervisor would know you, in my opinion, it carries little weight. I think about it like if the LOR was from an alumni recommending someone for our program...if they've (the alumni) have observed the clinical competence, professionalism and intellectual ability of the applicant in a clinical setting, we see more value in the alumni's recommendation simply because they've observed the "potential" of the applicant in a clinical setting. Please don't take this as me saying that the AAPA member doesn't have a clue as to what is needed of a potential PA applicant other than you know what you're getting into, as I'm 100% sure that he/she is capable of making that call. However, if you've had the opportunity to spend quality clinical time with the AAPA member so he/she can observe the characteristics above, then yes, I think that letter will carry more weight than what I've mentioned.

And in regards to your coursework statements, I think you've provided sufficient justification and as much as we'd ask to see for your 2 WFs and D. If you've taken steps to improve those courses you've done what you need to and since you've successfully completed the prerequisites I'm hopeful you have demonstrated your academic ability. I hope this helps!

Thank you for your advice... I was really worried about my grades during my sickness... but since i have been better i have been working extremely hard.

In regards to what you said about the LOR I directly work with that DF-AAPA every week. he had also tole me he mentioned in his letter that he has mentored many PA's and with me he feel like he is not mentoring a PA hopeful but he is mentoring a PA student already... something along those lines dont know the wording exactly

(I apologize if this post is inappropriate due to it existing elsewhere in the forum, tho I am very keen to see the analysis of the PA recruiter. If the moderators deem this to be a double post then please remove it. Thank you.)

After many years I am finally in the position to apply to PA school. I have completed all but microbiology which I am signed up for this semester. I started doing my pre-reqs in 2004 but soon after became very sick with a chronic neurological condition. I wasn't diagnosed until 2008 and my grades suffered terribly during this time. After I got treated with 54 of these and two of these

I finally was able to go back to school. I retook some classes and took harder ones as well. Here are my science stats:

While Sick, before treatment

Biology 1 w/lab D

Biology 2 w/lab C

Chemistry 1 w/lab C

Chemistry 2 w/lab C

Organic Chemistry 1 w/lab C+

Organic Chemistry 2 w/lab C

Physics 1 w/lab C

After being treated

Biology 1 w/lab A

Biology 2 w/lab A-

Biochemistry 1 w/lab A-

Physics 2 w/lab B

Statistics A

Biological Psychology A

Drug Calculation A

Medical Terminology A

Anatomy & Physiology II w/lab A- (taking part I this semester)

Like I said I am also signed up for microbiology w/lab this semester, as well as A&P I w/lab. It is my sincere hope that the Admissions Committees see that my poor grades were due to an extremely painful neurological condition (and nearly every complication thereof) and can see my significant upswing. If it matters I am also a official tutor for all of the "after sick" classes at the same college where I took them. I have excellent LORs from my professors. I also am an EMT-Intermediate and have 10 years of patient care experience.

My non-science GPA is bordering on 4.0 and I am a member of the academic honor society.

What do you think I should do? Should I retake even more classes? I was planning on taking micro and A&P I this semester and then studying for the GRE. I look forward to your thoughts.

The institution that I would like to attend also expects 500 hours of HCE. Presently, I probably have close to zero hours, and I am beginning my senior yr. of undergrad. I attend classes full time and I conduct biomedical research ~15/wk. as an internship in conjunction with the research program without which I could not afford school. That being said, the chances of me completing the requirement in the remaining time is highly unlikely and I am left not knowing what to do. What would you advise?

I guess what really upsets me personally is that I have all of the other requirements besides the HCE. In a perfect world, I'd love to get my application in now, and defer until I finish my hours. It bothers me that I will have to come back to my undergrad institution a year from now to ask for LOR's. But anyway's, I'm asking if you have any suggestions of "uncommon" ways that I can complete my HCE, as I do not have any certifications as of right now.

@bstone Thank you for your questions. I think I speak for the majority of programs when I say that we are sympathetic to your medical condition that you overcame and are glad to see you are feeling better. That being said, most committees would want to see better performances in your chemistries. At least from our program's standpoint, we require all of the chemistry classes you've taken. If I were advising to you to apply to our program I would recommend you considering retaking chem I, chem II and org. I. Chemistry courses, in our opinion, are a good predictor of how applicants can handle a difficult courseload. Going back and retaking courses, like you've done for the others, shows the committee that you overcame a difficult time and can be successful in upper level courses. If those chemistry courses are not required for the programs you're applying to you may want to contact them to see how much emphasis they may put on other science courses that are outside of their requirements. I hope this helps!

@alght Thank you for your questions. Because of your situation with your internship at your school I would encourage you to use the year after you graduate to accumulate the required hours. I know many students would prefer to go right in after undergrad, but there's probably not a high possibility that schools would waive the requirement or consider you a competitive applicant with no hours, regardless of how strong your GPA and test scores may be. I would encourage you now to start researching ways to get your hours. Familiarize yourself with acceptable and nonacceptable hours for the programs you're applying to as a starting point. Most certifications for EMTs, CNAs, medical assistants, etc. can be done at a local community college with a short period of time. If the programs accept shadowing hours consider that route as well. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@algt I see your point about the LORs, but keep in mind you're not going to be that far removed from your undergrad institution within just a year's time. I would maybe recommend talking to a professor(s) who you will ask to write a letter on your behalf now and then follow up with an email to remind them that you will be asking them next April to submit a letter. The CASPA application for the next application cycle will open next April so it's not too far from now. I've found that most students who have had to go back and ask for a reference don't really run into too many issues asking for a reference if they've already graduated.

Please refer to my first reply about HCE. Thanks!

@bstone Thank you for your questions. I think I speak for the majority of programs when I say that we are sympathetic to your medical condition that you overcame and are glad to see you are feeling better. That being said, most committees would want to see better performances in your chemistries. At least from our program's standpoint, we require all of the chemistry classes you've taken. If I were advising to you to apply to our program I would recommend you considering retaking chem I, chem II and org. I. Chemistry courses, in our opinion, are a good predictor of how applicants can handle a difficult courseload. Going back and retaking courses, like you've done for the others, shows the committee that you overcame a difficult time and can be successful in upper level courses. If those chemistry courses are not required for the programs you're applying to you may want to contact them to see how much emphasis they may put on other science courses that are outside of their requirements. I hope this helps!

This actually helps a lot, thank you. I did retake the first semester of organic chemistry and got an A. I was thinking of retaking gen chem I and II but was waiting for some more formal guidance, which you have now provided. Thank you. I am pretty full for this semester but I will add it to my course list for the Spring semester.

@biglkirk Thank you for your question. If the committee members asked you that question I would expect you to be honest. However, you should be able to communicate to them why you even considered the program you're currently interviewing with. We're not blind to the fact that applicants apply to other programs, but it's our hope that there is a reason you made application to other programs, outside of your first choice, other than "you're keeping your options open." I would expect/hope you do some extensive research on how this program could be a good fit for you. I always tell applicants to keep an open mind about schools that aren't their first choice. We've found many students who have interviewed with our program say that their first choice school really wasn't the best fit for them after interviewing. If you're open to seeing other programs in that light they may actually surprise you. Most committee members know when you're saying "what they want to hear" so be yourself. I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

First of all, thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask you questions. My situation is an MIP of tobacco as a teenager, possible ticket for underage drinking (cannot remember if this was a warning or ticket) and at 18 a bench warrant and arrest due to failure to pay a seat belt ticket. I will disclose all of this to the program I'm interested in, but was curious if teenage mistakes will bar me from gaining entry to a program. All of these things happened 15+ years ago, and I haven't had so much as a parking ticket since. Will great grades and decent HCE bail me out?

First of all, thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask you questions. My situation is an MIP of tobacco as a teenager, possible ticket for underage drinking (cannot remember if this was a warning or ticket) and at 18 a bench warrant and arrest due to failure to pay a seat belt ticket. I will disclose all of this to the program I'm interested in, but was curious if teenage mistakes will bar me from gaining entry to a program. All of these things happened 15+ years ago, and I haven't had so much as a parking ticket since. Will great grades and decent HCE bail me out?

I would strongly urge you to find a lawyer who specialized in expungement or sealing of criminal records. Depending on your state you may be able to legally check "no" if a conviction has been expunged. YMMV as the laws are different between states, so call your state's Bar Association and ask for someone who specialized in this. As far as the rest of your question I hope the answer is very positive for you. 15 years ago was a long time and I bet you're not the same person now that you were then.

@whoknows Thank you for your question. As you've stated, you do need to make sure you disclose all of this information when applying. Most programs, including ours, will run a background check on accepted applicants so you don't want anything to be a surprise no matter how minor or how long ago the conviction was. I honestly don't think these events will prevent you from getting into a PA school or getting a license. However, I would encourage you to have probably the following on hand if you're accepted to PA school, when you get into your clinical rotations and when you apply for a license. The following is required for our students to enter into a Federal facility for a clinical rotation and should be helpful for most places: Any traffic, where the fine was more than $150.00; any law violations (in the last 7 years, but just in case have all of them for your medical license) they need to know what the charge was, and what the final disposition of that case was, either from the lawyers office or the court house.

It may be a little overboard but it's always better to be prepared. I hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you for your response. It gives me a certain amount of relief. I've emailed the programs I'm interested in applying at to find out if the charges will prevent acceptance. I'm also in the process of getting my background check from the FBI so I can know 100% what is on my "rap sheet". My state licensing board was very helpful, and stated the process will be longer for me, but generally teenage indiscretions like mine are overlooked. I'm considering contacting our local high school to see if they are actively encouraging kids to have non drinking parties after dances/football games etc. I would definitely like to help coordinate safe teen activities in my community. Would it make a difference to the committee if the MIP infractions were expunged? I would still disclose, because it seems the rules state to state make it very tricky to check the "no" box when a violation is expunged.

Just to add on a little bit more about interviews because we're seeing a lot of this with our program over past sessions:

Why do you want to be a PA?

Keep in mind that comments like I want to be a PA because.... "I'll have more time to spend with my family.." ; "PAs spend more time with their patients.." ; "PAs' hours are better than the hours of physicians" ; "PA school is just the shorter route;" or "I want to help people" are not good answers. Some, not all, of these statements could be true to some degree, but they're not 100% accurate. Depending on the field you're working in, you will work as hard if not harder than some physicians, BUT some physicians may work harder than some PAs; some physicians may spend more time with their patients than some PAs.....there's always 2 ways to look at it. Remember if you've been exposed to a few PAs through your HCE don't assume all PAs or all physicians work the same. Look at it like "just because someone plays in the NBA doesn't mean they're as good as Michael Jordan-" don't assume every provider (PA or physician) has the same patient approach or work ethic.

Further, a lot of committees have medical doctors on them so beware of your audience as you don't want to stick your foot in your mouth. And finally, remember thousands of other applicants want to help people so that statement is really "overused." Be able to demonstrate that you've done your research with the PA profession and how it fits you. Remember, the PA profession is a critical piece of our nation's future health care because of the demands for primary care providers, etc...be able to relate your passion for medicine with the role of the PA.

Hi,

This is my situation. I already sent out my application to some schools and want get a feel of my chances. A few semesters ago I got an 'F' on an English class. I did retake the class 2 semesters later and received a 'B+'. CASPA didn't calculate my GPA yet though from calculations I have made, my total GPA is 3.439 and science GPA 3.588. Generally I have A's and B's except for this F and one C- in a psych class. What do you say?

Thank you in advance!

Hi paadmissions! Thank you so much for spending all this time answering our questions! I have a question about HCE: I am a master's level psychologist in NC and have accrued over 11,000 hours of clinical psychology experience. I have worked in prisons doing assessments, in group homes, private practices, and most recently in a hospital doing pre-surgical bariatric evaluations. Aside from 24 hours of shadowing, that is my experience. Even though I have so many hours, would I still be hurt in terms of admissions because it is not strictly medical?

Just to give you a little more information, my cumulative GPA is 3.57, science GPA is 3.98, and I scored 300 on the GRE (I was a little disappointed with that, but I would love to not have to take it again!). Oh, and I also have an MBA. Thank you again for all of your help, I really appreciate it!