Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hello again, paadmissions. I notice that some schools recommend that prerequisite classes should be taken no more than 5 years ago, while others outright state that strong preference would be given to applicants who have taken these classes within the past 5 years. While I do know that different programs may have different definitions, but how would you calculate this "5 years" time frame. I took a few of my prerequisites back in Spring 2008 and would be applying by 2013. So if I do get accepted, I'll only be attending by 2014, which would be 6 years from the time I've taken my prereqs.

So basically,

1) How much of a "stickler" are you guys with this 5-year rule and

2) Is the "5 years" defined from the time I apply for programs, or from the time I would actually start attending the program?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help us again!

I noticed this thread has not been active since June. I'll ask my questions and hope to receive a response. I have an interview scheduled for 12-11-12. I am pursuing an encore career. I am 52 years old and I am a bit concerned my age might preclude my acceptance. Do you have an opinion? Also, my first career was as a pharmaceutical sales representative. Does this experience bear any weight, either positive or negative, with an admissions committee? As a sales representative I have had a diverse set of shadowing experiences. Primary care, neurology, surgery, anesthesia, pulmonary... the list is long, do these shadowing experience qualify? Thank you!

@yaklloyd Thank you for your questions and congrats on getting your interview! Some pointers:

- prepare for your interview just as much as you prepared your application. Make sure you take part in mock interviews if you're able to and practice talking about yourself so you're not rambling on and on.

- It is great to be excited to interview with the program (something I personally love to see), but make sure you keep your focus on the goal at hand...do your research on the school, their mission, how their program stands out versus others that you may have applied to.

-Be yourself! I think it's important for everyone to remember interviews are NOT meant to bring out the worst in someone, but to bring out the best. So be prepared to show it. Best wishes!

@glgkbh Thank you for your question. On several occasions I have asked applicants how many programs they've applied to. This question usually comes up during general conversation, and I tell people up front, it's not something we will hold against you. I'm hoping other programs would have the same approach, but it all depends. So from our standpoint, I don't think it will hurt you if you've admitted to applying to other programs. You've got to see which one is the best fit for you, right? Best wishes!

@beancurd Thanks for your questions although I'm probably going to send you on a wild goose chase. You should contact the programs you're considering to see what their 5 year definition means. I would think the 5 year cut off would be when you submit your application, but it's best to get clarification from the specific programs. Our program has lifted the 5 year time line on our prerequisites so I can't really offer much feedback on the time line requirements. That being said, in the past our 5 year time limit was based on when you submitted your application. I hope this helps and sorry for not being much help on this topic. Best wishes!

@edinco Thank you for your questions and congrats on getting an interview. I get the age question quite a bit, but keep in mind age is not and should not be a determining factor on whether or note you are offered an acceptance-your interview performance will be the determining factor. You've obviously met the academic and HCE selection factors for an interview so the best advice I can give is to prepare for it. We have had pharmaceutical reps in our program before and they have brought different things to the table, as do a lot of our students. I think all of our non-traditional aged students bring a lot to the program especially maturity, adaptability and they balance out the class very well. Don't think of your age as a mark against you, rather use it to show the committee how your real life experience can humbly benefit the program and the profession. Hope this helps and best wishes!

Thanks for the input! I haven't had my interview yet... they're getting back to me about the date (either 12/18 or 12/19). What is the best way to approach programs to ask whether taking courses or getting an advanced degree would be more beneficial? I've always thought that most programs wouldn't give you feedback about your rejection beyond, "Your GPA is too low". Any ideas?

Simply_A_ Keeping my fingers crossed you get a positive response from your interview, then you won't have to worry about improving your application :). However, if you do need to go with option 2 I would ask them the same way you asked me about which path to take. I think it's a fair question and gets to the point of what you need to know. I would think the programs should be able to provide feedback specific to what they are looking for. I do my best to go into detail on why an applicant doesn't meet our selection factors, and if they are close, like you seem to be, there should be a clear view on how to improve your chances on being competitive.

I had an interview today and feel like it went well so I will see! My question is since they make decisions next week I feel a mailed thank you card will take to long so is a email thank you appropriate? Just a short and sweet I interviewed today and wanted to say thanks again for the opportunity? Or anything else I should add?

@paadmissions~

THANK YOU so much for your generosity in offering advice on this thread!

My main concern is about my HCE. I am currently a Licensed Massage Therapist. I helped to establish an Integrative Medicine program at my local hospital, where I logged in about 5,000 hours providing massage for patients in all areas of the hospital (pre-op, post-op, cancer center, maternity, rehab, ICU, cardiac, hospice/oncology floor). My direct report was an MD, and I worked closely with floor nurses, PTs, OTs, and some attending physicians and PAs. I was also invited to become an assistant faculty member of the Medical School near me, where I coach 1st- and 2nd-year medical students on their patient interaction skills. I have spent about 1,000 hours in this position, during the course of which I have learned quite a bit of medical terminology, as well as gained an understanding of history-taking and differential diagnosis skills.

Does this profile seem strong enough on HCE to make me a strong applicant? Also, I am 46 years old, and wondering if my age will have any influence one way or the other on my candidacy for a good PA program.

What are some of the best responses you have heard to the dreaded interview question, "What are some of your weaknesses?" I have heard of many people suggesting to convert this question into a strength but isn't the whole point of the question to, 1) find what you can improve on as a potential candidate and 2) are you taking the necessary steps on trying to improve those weaknesses? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi PAadmissions! My name is Lindsey and I will be applying this year for the 2014 program. I wanted to give you my stats and ideas to get some feedback regarding how I look as an applicant as well as what I can improve on between now and April (since I plan to apply as soon as CASPA opens).

GPA: 3.8

Science GPA: 3.4

GRE: (haven't taken it yet but score between 300-320 on every practice test)

Direct patient care hours: will be 500 by April, I am a CNA

Volunteer hours: ~1000

Shadowing hours: ~100 (both D.O. and P.A.)

Experience in the medical field (not direct patient contact however): ~1000.

In addition to this, I am in five national honors society, have started my own marketing company with great success (it is one year old), and have co-founded a charity for terminally ill children at Arnold Palmer Hospital (3 years old). I don't know whether or not my age will be seen as a positive or negative, but I am 19 years old (20 in July). I'm applying so young because I will receive my bachelors degree (in exercise science & physiology) a year earlier than the average 4-year student. I also will not be done with my prerequisite courses until December of 2013. I don't know if that will be a downfall to my application.

I really appreciate you helping me in advance, as well as all of the other pre-PA students on here.

Warm regards.

@paadmissions - you were so helpful last time I thought I'd ask you one more question. I love this thread and can't thank you enough for being so generous with your time!

My undergrad is in psych and it was a lousy gpa. So in attempt to show adcoms I can do this, I'm going above the necessary pre reqs. Which of the following would you like to see on a transcript? I will already have pathophysiology, bio of cancer, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and pharmacogy but I want to add more. Thank you for your input!!

-physiology of cardiac and respiratory

-virology

-parasitology

-HIV/AIDS

- health policy in the US

-hematology

-cell biology (this was one I was thinking of skipping)

-principles of epidemiology

-immunology

I had a question in regards to disabilities. I have an excellent GPA and can read a book from front to back like anyone, but I have a decoding disorder that slows me down when reading. I get As on tests, but need (and get in college) extra time to complete them, especially when essays are involved. Will this work against me when applying to a PA school? What can I do other than have a great GPA to prove I am just as capable, just at a slightly slower pace?

@bradyg007 I hope your interview went well. I see nothing wrong with an email to the committee thanking them for the time and consideration. We personally prefer a short and sweet thank you and not a recap of the day. Sometimes its nice to give short feedback about what you enjoyed most (e.g. student interactions, facilities etc). You probably enjoyed everything, but pick one or two things that may have stood out. Hope this helps and best wishes!!

@aerten Thank you for your questions! Our program does not count massage therapy hours, but you seem to be in a unique position where we may consider counting them simply because of your involvement outside of the clinic --but I would have to run them by our admissions committee. That being said, you should double check with the programs that interest you to make sure your hours would count. I do think your real life experience will be beneficial. It's important for you to be able to communicate to the committee how your background has prepared you to bring maturity to the program and what has lead you to change career paths. Age never is a determining factor, but what you can bring to the program and profession is what programs will consider to be important. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@TThielen Thank you for your questions--a difficult one, but a good one. One statement that really is not what anyone wants to hear is "my weakness is that I'm a perfectionist." We hear that statement all the time and it's not a weakness. Take the time to to evaluate yourself and consider asking coworkers or professors who know you well to give you constructive criticism on what you could improve. I don't want to put thoughts in your head, but solid answers I've heard are topics like:

- Needing to improve on dependability

- Improving on an abrasive personality in the work place

- Weak eye contact (lack of confidence)

- Improving attention to detail

If you're working now, think about how you could improve your status in the work place, whether its personality, confidence, communication, maturity. These are things some people don't think about, but are always areas where many could improve. Hope this helps.

@culbreth007 Thank you for your questions. Age should not play into a decision when looking at an applicant. That being said, it will all come down to the interview and how you've demonstrated to the committee that you are mature enough to handle PA school, the rigors of the program and the profession. This potential will be evaluated, for all applicants, through your personal statement, letters of recommendation and the interview process. On paper, the academic selection factors are there, but a lot of weight is always put on the interview process for any applicant. I hope this helps and keep up the CNA work--go above and beyond what's required.

@jarchie. Thanks for your questions. I would recommend the following additional courses off of your list:

- Health Policies in the US (should be helpful for you to wrap your head around the importance of PAs in our health care system and reform)

- Hematology

- Cell Biology

- Immunology or Virology

I think those should be helpful and tend to be upper level courses. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@highsierrasmith Thank you for your questions. I think any program should be able to accommodate your needs when it comes to extra time on tests. I know we have had a few students in our program who have been supported this way and it's as simple as being up front with the faculty members so they can accommodate your needs. Every program has different request to help them help you. If you're accepted to a program it's very important you communicate with the academic coordinator (the person who handles your didactic year) to make sure your accommodations are in place prior to the start of the academic year. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@aerten Thank you for your questions! Our program does not count massage therapy hours, but you seem to be in a unique position where we may consider counting them simply because of your involvement outside of the clinic --but I would have to run them by our admissions committee. That being said, you should double check with the programs that interest you to make sure your hours would count. I do think your real life experience will be beneficial. It's important for you to be able to communicate to the committee how your background has prepared you to bring maturity to the program and what has lead you to change career paths. Age never is a determining factor, but what you can bring to the program and profession is what programs will consider to be important. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@paadmissions... Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. If I can get my foot into the door for an interview, I think I could do a good job describing my involvement at the hospital and the diverse situations I experienced there. But, how to grab their attention enough with my app, in order to get that chance?....

Any words of wisdom on how to convey "maturity" in a personal statement?

THANKS again for the time that you are dedicating to coaching all of us!

@Aerten I think there is a benefit to real life experience and what you've learned from your time as a professional. There is an element of maturity to handle not only the rigors of PA school, but the medical field and people in general. For example, relating to your patients and having that time under belt that may have exposed you to a variety of people over a span of time. Especially with your experience in the hospital, you've likely seen the need for compassionate providers (at any level) who emphasize with their patients and the need for every provider to expect excellence out of themselves and their team members. I'm not saying younger applicants are not exposed to these things, but you've had more real life exposure that could prove to be an asset in these areas. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions I started a thread below but in retrospect it seems I should have started here. Here is my story. I am about to be 33, have 8 years professional experience in Corporate Finance (manager level within the year). I have earned a BBA in Finance (graduated with honors) and my MBA (~3.8 GPA). While I was pursuing my undergrad I worked in an ER for three years doing patient care. I am considering a career change to pursue something I have always wanted to do and would excel at. So before I begin this journey I want to know if I will be in a decent spot when it comes to application time. I am wanting to know if I would make a competitive applicant. I know it would probably be a good idea to update my healthcare experience. So, assuming I knock the prerequisites out. Would working one 11p-7a shift per week in an ER be enough current experience? Applying some very rough math this would be about 1248 hours (8*52*3). Also, by the time I apply I would be around 36. Is that too old to start?

Thanks,

46&2