Was a member of DMAT for 10 years after enduring the two year background check, fingerprinting, interviews, etc. Never given a deployment. Never given a complete uniform. Tons of busywork to do to stay current on policies online, silly tests on stuff that doesn't matter, etc. They use an EMR in the field for disaster response, which is completely ridiculous. disaster = paper charts. 

DMAT is a huge organization that does not move quickly. They called me to ask me to go to Haiti in 2010 2 weeks after I had already gotten back from a 2 week mission with an NGO. 

Have worked with several NGOs since with nothing but good experiences. Not in the NG , so can't comment on that. 

• Upvote 1

Did you never get a deployment because that one was the only one offered to you and offers come extremely infrequently, or because there were multiple offers that didn't work out for you? It looks on their website that you could theoretically refuse every deployment offered. Is it true that you have that level of control over how often you respond? Do you feel any of the training you received was  valuable to your practice (in daily life or in austere environments)? To your knowledge, are PAs used to their full capacity on deployments? What would you say is the ratio of domestic to international responses?

you have to give availability for 2 months/year when your team is first up. That means you have to find  backup folks to cover all your shifts just in case you get called for all that time. The only other deployment I was ever offered was for a time we were not up as a team and it was a backfill for another team in american samoa. the deployments are paid 12 hrs/day, but it basically is a stipend. $25/hr last time I checked. I attended some useful mass casualty drills that were very well run. PAs are used well when they do deploy. I have a friend who gives availability 24/7/365 (his colleagues hate this because he just no shows his shifts under govt protection) . He goes on every deployment NDMS does, either as a primary team member or as backup. It is his life. Kind of a rescue ricky type. you know the guys, mast pants in their truck, airway roll in the glove compartment of every car, etc. DMAT has only ever done one international response(Haiti). American Samoa is considered American soil. NDMS also has an international team that does surgery and critical care. That might be more up your alley than DMAT. It is called ImSuRT. Have heard good things about these folks. 

https://asprwgpublic.hhs.gov/ASPR/hhscapabilities/resourcedocs/International Medical Surgical Response Teams (IMSuRT).pdf

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Sounds like you’re saying there’s the possibility to be as much or a little involved as you want, depending on your willingness/ability to disrupt other roles and responsibilities. I’m asking all this because I want to figure out what organizations would put me in the best position to be called upon to help out in disaster/emergency situations. So it seems NDMS is called upon fairly frequently, but had a far reach across the US and even internationally, whereas NG lets you respond more within your local area, but comes with additional roles and responsibilities of the military as well as the potential for extended deployments. 
Final question (maybe): Do you know how long NDMS deployments usually last (and whether you always must be there for the full duration, or is there some flexibility to rotate people in and out)?

I've been on DMAT for almost a year.  I have not deployed yet.  Our team is on 1st call 3 months out of the year.  We are required to roster for at least 2 of the months.  You need to be available for 2 weeks.  So, if you list yourself available the entire month, you can be called on the 1st day of the month or the last day of the month and deploy for 2 weeks.  Some deployments may not need a full 2 weeks.  There is a lot of communication, monthly meetings, and lots of training/education you can take.  There is also many required trainings.  My team was on call for March and was deployed.  I couldn't roster because of moving.  So, I missed out on my first deployment.  There is constant need for back-fill and lots of opportunities to deploy right now.  

• Like 1

A family member started the VMAT (yep vet medicine) teams for the FEDS - initially it was streamline, fast response and actually did good.  Ground zero at 911, control center at katrina - but alas feds took over, and killed it - to large, to much paper, to much crud......

I would love to help but the requirements you described seem real and an obstacle to doing it....

Looking at the websites for various DMATs, it seems like most used to get called upon frequently in the 90s, and have really dropped off as of late. I’m feeling like NDMS may not be the best way to get out there responding to emergencies on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CSCH said:

Looking at the websites for various DMATs, it seems like most used to get called upon frequently in the 90s, and have really dropped off as of late. I’m feeling like NDMS may not be the best way to get out there responding to emergencies on a regular basis. 

Last event I see mentioned for the vast majority was the Haitian earthquake. I've been searching as well, keep me in the loop if anything pops up and I'll do the same!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:25 AM, CSCH said:

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Sounds like you’re saying there’s the possibility to be as much or a little involved as you want, depending on your willingness/ability to disrupt other roles and responsibilities. I’m asking all this because I want to figure out what organizations would put me in the best position to be called upon to help out in disaster/emergency situations. So it seems NDMS is called upon fairly frequently, but had a far reach across the US and even internationally, whereas NG lets you respond more within your local area, but comes with additional roles and responsibilities of the military as well as the potential for extended deployments. 
Final question (maybe): Do you know how long NDMS deployments usually last (and whether you always must be there for the full duration, or is there some flexibility to rotate people in and out)?

you give availability for the month. You have to be available the whole month if called. might be 3 days, might be 31. 

• Upvote 1