Please Help Me With My Major Decision.

Good evening guys, hope everyone is well. During this Covid pandemic, I was able to finally finish my associates in science at a community college. I currently have a 3.6 GPA and have finished many science and math courses which include, gen bios, gen chems, A&P's, statistics, pre calc, and many other required courses like English, psychology.. etc.. My associates is in Science and i was planning on receiving a Bachelor's in Biology but i am scared about the future.  I'm scared i won't get accepted in to a PA program because of a lowered GPA due to heavy work load courses coming in the future like OChem, Physics, Calculus, Genetics that are required for a Biology degree. Then i'll graduate with a below average GPA and be left with a bachelor's in a degree that people love to call worthless unless going in to medicine. What should i do? I have about a month to apply at a few universities before the deadline of the next semester. I want to become a Physician Assistant and im scared a hard degree like Biology will ruin that for me. Is it possible to choose another bachelors besides Biology with the Associates in science that i currently have? Since we are in "lockdown" and schools are closed i have not been able to properly talk to an advisor. This subject has been tormenting me for the past few weeks, someone please help me.

You can have a bachelor's in any subject and apply to PA school. As long as ALL the prerequisite are completed for the program that you want. Remember that there will sometimes be more preference given to certain degrees by a school, sometimes not since the prerequisites need completed either way.

and no one can tell you what to do, but I can tell you that you need to be more confident haha

Don't always go the easiest route, the harder routes can prove you have what it takes and build character. (programs will take note).

And I'm not sure what other options there are with an associates in science, sorry about that. (I don't have a science degree hah)

..You do you though 🙂

Edited by TylerV
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TylerV gave you good advice. I know exactly how you feel as my undergrad is in Biology and it’s true that you feel like you aren’t sure what to do with that degree if you don’t get into graduate school.

I see some options here. 

Just go for it. You may do great.

Continue on your path and get the Biology degree, but if getting low grades seems likely then you may want to extend how many semesters it will take you to get the degree in order to have a lower course load for better ability to get higher grades. This will likely cost more money to achieve the degree in the end.

Do research on what programs you want to apply to and make sure to take all their prerequisites and then pursue a degree in another field of study. I’ve seen posts on this forum from people who are pursuing PA school with business, psychology, nursing, teaching, and engineering degrees.

• Upvote 1

I would say stick with Bio and grind through it and do your best to come out with a solid GPA. I did 4 years of undergrad and got a B.S. in Criminology just to go back for 2.5 more years for my prereqs for PA school. If I had done Bio in the first place I could be a practicing PA right now (assuming I got in first cycle). Instead I am just now applying. But, there is no one path fits all route so do whatever you think you need to do. 

I think you should really think about the learning aspect rather just what degree and how it all looks. I also got a degree in something non-science and now have spent a 5th year going back (at age 26) and getting my pre-reqs done and I have a completely different mindset about school. It is not all about getting a particular degree and just taking tests - if you love medicine you should be full divested into learning all you can about the information to be great for your patients.

So I would focus most on what path gives you the most opportunity to learn - if you do not feel like bio is it (because of physics, calculus, etc requirements) than something else could work. Maybe you need to slow down and take only a couple hard science classes at a time and really focus on your study strategies/learning the most you can? At the same time volunteer in health care and shadow to make sure this is something you could see yourself doing. Remember, there is no deadline, I wish someone told me this - I rushed to get my bachelor's done in 4 years and never stopped to think about what I was doing and why I was doing it. Good luck to you!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Elsebond said:

I think you should really think about the learning aspect rather just what degree and how it all looks. I also got a degree in something non-science and now have spent a 5th year going back (at age 26) and getting my pre-reqs done and I have a completely different mindset about school. It is not all about getting a particular degree and just taking tests - if you love medicine you should be full divested into learning all you can about the information to be great for your patients.

So I would focus most on what path gives you the most opportunity to learn - if you do not feel like bio is it (because of physics, calculus, etc requirements) than something else could work. Maybe you need to slow down and take only a couple hard science classes at a time and really focus on your study strategies/learning the most you can? At the same time volunteer in health care and shadow to make sure this is something you could see yourself doing. Remember, there is no deadline, I wish someone told me this - I rushed to get my bachelor's done in 4 years and never stopped to think about what I was doing and why I was doing it. Good luck to you!

That was me, bachelors in nursing then back for prerequisites. It was a blast! I was 26 as well at the time!