New Position......

PM&R.....non operative spine center. Brand new position...they have never had a PA....Was worried that it would be chronic back pain, and train wrecks from all over the country, but apparently not. The director stated that 90% of appointment slots were reserved for patients of the clinic or system with ACUTE spine issues. Also, we are a consultative service. While we might see an occasional chronic spine pain patient, we will see them once, and write our thoughts and recommendations in a letter to their primary, or if necessary, refer them on to the Pain Rehab Center. We do NOT manage these patients chronically.

Many of them will have their charts/imaging studies reviewed by myself or the attendings, and we will send them a letter discussing the fact that we cannot offer them an appointment, as we cannot offer any treatment that has not been attempted.

They were interested in me because of my ED and Ortho backgrounds, my research doctorate, leadership background and abilities, and the fact that I have a second masters in Sports Medicine in addition to my masters in PA.

Will see 6-8 patients per day. 1 hour appointment slots, and will have every other Friday off for research/admin time.

During the interview. I had a few thoughts, and what I said was:

I am not an assistant, I am a competent medical provider, if you want an assistant, hire someone else. If you want an autonomous provider who can increase the number of patients seen, with a high degree of independence, I'm your guy. Also, I don't like the term mid level provider. It can be construed as insulting. If I am a mid level, what does that make the nurse? I prefer non physician provider.

I also told them that I will address them by first name, except in front of patients. I'm too old to play games with the ego boosting "Dr" so and so. BUT the real reason, is to establish an environment of mutual respect...see....THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A PA...I will be the first, so I have to establish the rules up front. As I told them, formal titles convey a sense of respect to patients, however, in the hallway, or in private, they can hinder true teamwork and open dialogue. I envision a true team, with all of us working together. If they don't envision that, than they should hire someone else.

I also demanded, or rather strongly requested:

1. to be involved in the executive, practice, and research committees of the Center. I need to be involved in the decision making processes of the Center.

2. a respect for my external professional obligations (speaking, committee obligations, board requirements, etc.) and a healthy respect for my research obligations.

3. The ability to secure protected time (they will give me 0.1 to start) for research time with grant funds...(up to 0.5)...

4. A new laptop (MacBook Pro) and a new iPad3.

5. Finally, I requested an office. Now, you need to understand that while all the physicians in this Center have an office, office space is EXTREMELY limited and there are multiple attending physicians at the Clinic who do NOT have an office.

They not only found me an office, but they found me one with a window.

I gave my notice to the ED 2 weeks ago, I start in PM&R on August 15th.

PM&R.....non operative spine center. Brand new position...they have never had a PA....Was worried that it would be chronic back pain, and train wrecks from all over the country, but apparently not. The director stated that 90% of appointment slots were reserved for patients of the clinic or system with ACUTE spine issues. Also, we are a consultative service. While we might see an occasional chronic spine pain patient, we will see them once, and write our thoughts and recommendations in a letter to their primary, or if necessary, refer them on to the Pain Rehab Center. We do NOT manage these patients chronically.

Many of them will have their charts/imaging studies reviewed by myself or the attendings, and we will send them a letter discussing the fact that we cannot offer them an appointment, as we cannot offer any treatment that has not been attempted.

They were interested in me because of my ED and Ortho backgrounds, my research doctorate, leadership background and abilities, and the fact that I have a second masters in Sports Medicine in addition to my masters in PA.

Will see 6-8 patients per day. 1 hour appointment slots, and will have every other Friday off for research/admin time.

I am not an assistant, I am a competent medical provider, if you want an assistant, hire someone else. If you want an autonomous provider who can increase the number of patients seen, with a high degree of independence, I'm your guy. Also, I don't like the term mid level provider. It can be construed as insulting. If I am a mid level, what does that make the nurse? I prefer non physician provider.

I also told them that I will address them by first name, except in front of patients. I'm too old to play games with the ego boosting "Dr" so and so. BUT the real reason, is to establish an environment of mutual respect...see....THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A PA...I will be the first, so I have to establish the rules up front. As I told them, formal titles convey a sense of respect to patients, however, in the hallway, or in private, they can hinder true teamwork and open dialogue. I envision a true team, with all of us working together. If they don't envision that, than they should hire someone else.

1. to be involved in the executive, practice, and research committees of the Center. I need to be involved in the decision making processes of the Center.

2. a respect for my external professional obligations (speaking, committee obligations, board requirements, etc.) and a healthy respect for my research obligations.

3. The ability to secure protected time (they will give me 0.1 to start) for research time with grant funds...(up to 0.5)...

5. Finally, I requested an office. Now, you need to understand that while all the physicians in this Center have an office, office space is EXTREMELY limited and there are multiple attending physicians at the Clinic who do NOT have an office.

I thought you were headed in another direction......

I am over time Marilyn.....and actually we are talking about creating an Office of Health Workforce Analysis here for me to direct and run, but NOTHING happens quickly here. Also, most faculty positions here, because of our reputation, start at the Assistant Professor rank for junior faculty, with some even requiring Associate Professor.....

I've had 4 articles already accepted this year, with another 2 solicited for me to write (that was kind of exciting, never been "asked" to write for a journal, for blogs yes, but peer reviewed journals, no) but to be really competitive for a junior faculty position in research here, I need another 3-5 articles and a track record of some grant funding, extramural or intramural.

This will all take about another year or so, which is fine as the position isn't even created yet. The move to Spine is nice because I can create the position and the environment, get a stable schedule, and set things up for the next PA after I move on to research full time.

I am over time Marilyn.....and actually we are talking about creating an Office of Health Workforce Analysis here for me to direct and run, but NOTHING happens quickly here. Also, most faculty positions here, because of our reputation, start at the Assistant Professor rank for junior faculty, with some even requiring Associate Professor.....

I've had 4 articles already accepted this year, with another 2 solicited for me to write (that was kind of exciting, never been "asked" to write for a journal, for blogs yes, but peer reviewed journals, no) but to be really competitive for a junior faculty position in research here, I need another 3-5 articles and a track record of some grant funding, extramural or intramural.

This will all take about another year or so, which is fine as the position isn't even created yet. The move to Spine is nice because I can create the position and the environment, get a stable schedule, and set things up for the next PA after I move on to research full time.

Archived