Personal Essay! Please be honest, it will only help me!

As a child I had moments when I would stare off into space as if my brain was not connected to the rest of my body. My parents were worried so they took me to a pediatric neurologist. The diagnosis was Juvenile Absence Epilepsy and it began a journey of blood tests, EEGs, MRIs and checkups for the next six years of my life. For a child, it was a bit unnerving, but when I began to see the same person at every visit I became more comfortable. I called the woman “Dr. Theresa” and she became the calming presence, someone who monitored my medication and assured me everything was fine. When I learned “Dr. Theresa” was actually a Physician Assistant, I was surprised.  She did everything I imagined a doctor would do, she explained my treatment plan, wrote prescriptions, and always took the time to ask about my life and concerns.

I was intrigued by this woman who had many similar responsibilities of a doctor. What would have normally been a traumatic childhood experience actually became a blessing. This unique opportunity allowed me to be exposed to a PA at a young age and prompted my decision to become a healthcare provider. I began to volunteer in my community and take every opportunity to learn about this career path. I wanted to be around people who helped others. I volunteered at food drives for homeless veterans, collected clothes for orphanages and foster children and fundraised for the families who lost their homes in the 2003 Cedar Fire in Alpine, CA.

I also had the opportunity to work with young children through the 4-H Equine Group within the Helen Woodward Animal Shelter. Most of the children I worked with were Autistic, which allowed me to learn effective ways to communicate in nonconventional ways. For example, one boy used only lyrics from songs by The Beatles to commutate to me, so I had to brush up on Beatles! The sad songs meant he was in pain or a bad mood and the more upbeat songs meant he was feeling excited and happy. This experience became the catalyst for focusing my efforts to become a PA.

In college, my most rewarding volunteer experience was working at The Challenge Center, a physical therapy rehabilitation center for patients who suffered from brain and spinal cord injuries, congenital defects or chronic debilitating diseases. Having obtained my Assisted Fitness Trainer certification, I was able to work with patients one-on-one. It was a true test for me to see whether or not I could handle a full patient load while attending school full time. I tracked the progress and charted the stats for each of my patients. I felt like a true healthcare provider during my time at The Challenge Center because I was able to change or “prescribe” the patient’s workout regimen. The workouts made a difference, not only on the patient’s physical abilities, but also on their attitudes and outlook on life. While working in the physical therapy field taught me a great deal about patient care, I felt more passionate about the role a PA plays in healthcare.

Wanting to learn more about the profession, I shadowed a Physician Assistant named Alison. I observed her patients’ conditions and how she determined the course of treatment for each situation. She displayed the patience, kindness and professionalism that it takes to be a successful PA. I remember an instance with an elderly woman who was nervous about her biopsy results. Alison explained the outcome to her in a manner that put her at ease. Alison’s dedication to her patients reminded me of the care I received as a child with JAE and reinforced my decision to become a PA.

On the academic front, my early academic transcripts show a lack of focus.  Freshman year of college was a difficult transition for me. I was exposed to the dual pressures of prioritizing my schoolwork and enjoying the freedom of living on my own. I was not mature enough to know that my early decisions would negatively affect my future chances of getting into PA school. I began taking courses to work toward my undergraduate degree in kinesiology, but knew PA school was the ultimate goal. My grades steadily improved and I ended up with nearly straight A’s during my final two years, even repeating some courses to make my application more competitive. I believe my freshman year struggles allowed me to become more mature, more focused and more determined to achieve my goal of becoming a PA.        

My dream is now within reach. There will be an extreme need for primary care providers as a result of the restructuring of health care in this country and Physician Assistants will be at the forefront of the movement toward more affordable, accessible, and reliable healthcare. PAs will be the gatekeepers of the health care industry and will positively affect countless lives. I look forward to helping contribute to improving the health of patients in need. 

Archived