10-20 seconds "What a PA is"

And I'm not going to re evaluate anything because YOU decided to take offense where none was intended or implied.

You are absolutely right, I chose to be offended. It may not have been intended but that is how it was PERCEIVED. And as they say, perception is reality. You didn't mean it that way? You should have clarified. Apparently I'm not even the only one on this thread who feels that way.

Tell me PAMAC, how do you describe your job as an MT? I worked as one for years and nobody knows what we are. I spent most of my time telling people that no, I'm not a phlebotomist. Do you describe it by comparing it to another field or do you validate your chosen profession by educating the person that is asking? I don't know about you, but I choose to educate. I have two professions that have very little public understanding. I make it a personal goal to help the public understand what I do by telling them, not comparing.

Yes NP's and PA's are indeed peers, but I don't personally know of any NP's that would be ok with their profession being described as 'similar to physician assistants'. I also work with an NP and I can tell you that she hates being referred to as a PA (there are 2 PA's and 1 NP in my office). Yes, NP's have a better lobby. Yes they are well known. But I'm not an NP, I'm a PA. It's my responsibility to educate my patients about what I do.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I'm not going to re evaluate anything because YOU decided to take offense where none was intended or implied.

You are absolutely right, I chose to be offended. It may not have been intended but that is how it was PERCEIVED. And as they say, perception is reality. You didn't mean it that way? You should have clarified. Apparently I'm not even the only one on this thread who feels that way.

Tell me PAMAC, how do you describe your job as an MT? I worked as one for years and nobody knows what we are. I spent most of my time telling people that no, I'm not a phlebotomist. Do you describe it by comparing it to another field or do you validate your chosen profession by educating the person that is asking? I don't know about you, but I choose to educate. I have two professions that have very little public understanding. I make it a personal goal to help the public understand what I do by telling them, not comparing.

Yes NP's and PA's are indeed peers, but I don't personally know of any NP's that would be ok with their profession being described as 'similar to physician assistants'. I also work with an NP and I can tell you that she hates being referred to as a PA (there are 2 PA's and 1 NP in my office). Yes, NP's have a better lobby. Yes they are well known. But I'm not an NP, I'm a PA. It's my responsibility to educate my patients about what I do.

I am a licensed health care provider that can diagnose disease and prescribe medications. I work with the physician to provide quality care for my patients.

That usually does the trick.

I have been trying to get away from the old laundry list of duties ("Pas can order and interpet tests, perform physical exams, write prescriptions, etc etc etc)

The more you try to specify what you CAN do, you end up creating the impression in the mind of the listener that this is the ONLY thing you do. when we know PAs do so much more.

I am trying to keep it broad yet simple. We practice medicine.

I am a licensed health care provider that can diagnose disease and prescribe medications. I work with the physician to provide quality care for my patients.

I have been trying to get away from the old laundry list of duties ("Pas can order and interpet tests, perform physical exams, write prescriptions, etc etc etc)

The more you try to specify what you CAN do, you end up creating the impression in the mind of the listener that this is the ONLY thing you do. when we know PAs do so much more.

And separately, what is so revolting about NPs being a marker for what PAs do in a pinch?

Because we are very different professions, we just arrive at a similar location.

Ask a DO if they are a doctor, and they will say they are equivalent to an MD without disgust. If NPs are indeed peers, what's with the upset comparison? You came to the conclusion that I was placing PAs lower than NPs on your own. Would saying something like "we fill a similar role as an NP" seem equally repellent?

It makes no more sense than syaing "we fill a similar role as an MD" which is true in a way but absoltuely uselss in explaining what a PA IS.

I find in clinical situations, NPs don't seem to be upset with PAs and vice versa.

My experience as well.

Why is that the case here? Is a PA student going to go out and jump on the NP route because someone like you tells them that someone like me says they aren't as good as NPs (which I didn't at all say)?

Because the point is to describe what a PA IS, not what they are LIKE.

And separately, what is so revolting about NPs being a marker for what PAs do in a pinch?

Because we are very different professions, we just arrive at a similar location.

Ask a DO if they are a doctor, and they will say they are equivalent to an MD without disgust. If NPs are indeed peers, what's with the upset comparison? You came to the conclusion that I was placing PAs lower than NPs on your own. Would saying something like "we fill a similar role as an NP" seem equally repellent?

It makes no more sense than syaing "we fill a similar role as an MD" which is true in a way but absoltuely uselss in explaining what a PA IS.

I find in clinical situations, NPs don't seem to be upset with PAs and vice versa.

My experience as well.

Why is that the case here? Is a PA student going to go out and jump on the NP route because someone like you tells them that someone like me says they aren't as good as NPs (which I didn't at all say)?

My experience as well.

You make some excellent points. I will incorporate "I practice medicine" into my explanation. I also use a proactive caring approach with my bedside manner to let them know subconsciously that I am there to give them the best care possible.

You make some excellent points. I will incorporate "I practice medicine" into my explanation. I also use a proactive caring approach with my bedside manner to let them know subconsciously that I am there to give them the best care possible.

It surprises me to hear you say that since the programs are extremely different.

what I mean is that they are both around 2 years, require prior experience, and both include didactic and clinical rotation experiences.

the main difference in clinical experience is the length of pa rotations when compared to np. it's hard to give a brief program description comparing to np's without seeming to discredit their educational process. I guess I could say "our clinical coursework and rotations are more like medschool than nursing school" but many would take offense at this(although it certainly is true).

It surprises me to hear you say that since the programs are extremely different.

what I mean is that they are both around 2 years, require prior experience, and both include didactic and clinical rotation experiences.

the main difference in clinical experience is the length of pa rotations when compared to np. it's hard to give a brief program description comparing to np's without seeming to discredit their educational process. I guess I could say "our clinical coursework and rotations are more like medschool than nursing school" but many would take offense at this(although it certainly is true).

Archived