10-20 seconds "What a PA is"

Dang dude, that's ridiculous. I get that you were pre-PA and now are pre-NP, but that doesn't answer the question AT ALL. I'm also pretty protective of the fellow Med Techs on here, but I'm getting to a point where I don't understand your posts anymore. I'm wondering why you post as much as you do on a PA site. I understand there is a lot of back and forth between PA's, NP's and Docs here........but do you frequent any NP forums? Perhaps you should begin transitioning to those? Please stop telling PA students to introduce themselves as 'similar to nurse practitioners', that does NOTHING to support and build the PA profession. Makes us sound like we are second class providers when compared to NP's. You KNOW we are NOT. And if you can't see why your statement is offensive then you need to re-evaluate why you post here.

My answer to the OP's question:

I am a licensed health care provider that can diagnose disease and prescribe medications. I work with the physician to provide quality care for my patients.

That usually does the trick.

==============================================================

I like it! I usually add something like: (work in Ortho)

"...health care provider, trained under the physician model so that I can dx, order tests/physicial therapy, prescribe meds."

"I work with the physician in the office, the hospital and the operating room...."

My .02:

Usually the patient is surprised by what we are trained to do! Alot of times, after the 1st visit: they prefer to see the PA, Ive been told that we really listened to them & took time with them to explain, got a quick appt.

Of course, there is always the pt who only wants to see the doctor. I respect there request & gladly reschedule them; but most times I explain that they can get in sooner to see the PA, who can do as above, get them started on some treatment / study & return to see the doctor, to see how they are doing at that point vs. waiting weeks for an appt with the doc. Also if I have any questions I can ask the doc.

If the patient askes about Nurses that's where I try to explain how we are different. ie. Nursing model vs. Physician Model!!

The different levels of nurse training [associates vs bachelors vs masters] I feel that patients perception of a "Nurse" is all the same & its not obviously.

Also I've had patients ask me when I'm going to become a doctor! I tell them I'm not. I prefer to be a PA!

I sometimes will explain how we are different;

Again "models: doc vs pa; & the advantage, I think we (PA)'s have with the ability to move laterally, have a better quality of life & less stress/responsibility.

Best of Luck in your PA career!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived