10-20 seconds "What a PA is"

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of personal statements give good ideas about what a PA is. Something like this might clear things up: "A PA is somebody who likes to help people. But they only want to do it for a limited time during the day, which is good because PAs have much better shifts and hours than doctors do. In addition, because they don't really do much else, they have a ton of time to hang out in the room with patients to develop personal relationships with each one of them. Before becomming a PA they established a long history of experience by shadowing PAs."

Hahaha...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

A lot of personal statements give good ideas about what a PA is. Something like this might clear things up: "A PA is somebody who likes to help people. But they only want to do it for a limited time during the day, which is good because PAs have much better shifts and hours than doctors do. In addition, because they don't really do much else, they have a ton of time to hang out in the room with patients to develop personal relationships with each one of them. Before becomming a PA they established a long history of experience by shadowing PAs."

Hahaha...

Hahaha...

Personally I'd never want to say something like that. Certainly if it works for you that's fine. But that kind of language seems to encourage the misunderstanding that you're a med tech or something.

Nope...not at all. My SP's always support me publicly and privately, so it's a two-way type of relationship..my patients like it. Lightens the mood.

But most importantly if they aren't clear what I am to begin with, then by not trying to overpower them with what I think they should believe, by the end of the eval they can tell I'm not "just an assistant"....thus title issue are moot.

Personally I'd never want to say something like that. Certainly if it works for you that's fine. But that kind of language seems to encourage the misunderstanding that you're a med tech or something.

Nope...not at all. My SP's always support me publicly and privately, so it's a two-way type of relationship..my patients like it. Lightens the mood.

But most importantly if they aren't clear what I am to begin with, then by not trying to overpower them with what I think they should believe, by the end of the eval they can tell I'm not "just an assistant"....thus title issue are moot.

I usually say that I am a physician extender and am trained to diagnose and treat patients. People catch on to the physician extender term pretty easily actually. If they have more questions, I explain that I went to 2 years of medical school and am trained to do about 80% of what a physician does. This is the way that AAPA described it to me and most doctors I've worked with seem alright with that description. I really try not to describe PA in terms of other professions such as NP because I think that detracts from our distinction and furthers the confusion about what a PA is. I also try hard not to cut down other professions or imply that my job is easier or harder than anyone else's.

I usually say that I am a physician extender and am trained to diagnose and treat patients. People catch on to the physician extender term pretty easily actually. If they have more questions, I explain that I went to 2 years of medical school and am trained to do about 80% of what a physician does. This is the way that AAPA described it to me and most doctors I've worked with seem alright with that description. I really try not to describe PA in terms of other professions such as NP because I think that detracts from our distinction and furthers the confusion about what a PA is. I also try hard not to cut down other professions or imply that my job is easier or harder than anyone else's.

I really try not to describe PA in terms of other professions such
But saying you are a "Physician Extender" does describe a PA in terms of another profession. It is saying that you extend the role of a physician, which is a different profession. Also, you did not go to 2 years of medical school; you went to PA school. I understand you are trying to use language that other people can relate to, but this is still very much describing your role in terms of a different profession. It is long overdue for the general public to understand what a PA is, in its own right. Nobody describes nurses as being "like a doctor but I am trained to carry out their orders instead of giving them." People just know what a nurse is. But before anybody jumps on that one... even writing that last sentence was a little difficult for me because people just tend to think that everybody is a doctor, but some doctors are called nurses, some are called Techs, and some are called PAs. So nobody really knows what anybody does... they are just hoping to get some straight answers about what is going on...

But saying you are a "Physician Extender" does describe a PA in terms of another profession. It is saying that you extend the role of a physician, which is a different profession. Also, you did not go to 2 years of medical school; you went to PA school. I understand you are trying to use language that other people can relate to, but this is still very much describing your role in terms of a different profession. It is long overdue for the general public to understand what a PA is, in its own right. Nobody describes nurses as being "like a doctor but I am trained to carry out their orders instead of giving them." People just know what a nurse is. But before anybody jumps on that one... even writing that last sentence was a little difficult for me because people just tend to think that everybody is a doctor, but some doctors are called nurses, some are called Techs, and some are called PAs. So nobody really knows what anybody does... they are just hoping to get some straight answers about what is going on...

I don't think it's really possible to satisfactorily explain what a PA is without at some point comparing the profession to others. To say "we practice medicine" is true but immediately invites the question of what the actual difference is between a physician and a PA. And really, as far as the patient is concerned, there isn't much of a difference in the first place. Of course PAs are not physicians, but the real distinction between the two is something that is beyond the level of medical insight possessed by the average layperson (certainly even I, being a student, haven't come to completely grasp it yet).

Obviously it will never happen, but I've often wondered if it wouldn't be better if the honorific for PhD degrees, etc. would be something completely different than "doctor," PAs/MDs/DOs/NPs would all be called "doctor" and MDs/DOs would be "physicians." Or some variant thereof.

I don't think it's really possible to satisfactorily explain what a PA is without at some point comparing the profession to others. To say "we practice medicine" is true but immediately invites the question of what the actual difference is between a physician and a PA. And really, as far as the patient is concerned, there isn't much of a difference in the first place. Of course PAs are not physicians, but the real distinction between the two is something that is beyond the level of medical insight possessed by the average layperson (certainly even I, being a student, haven't come to completely grasp it yet).

Obviously it will never happen, but I've often wondered if it wouldn't be better if the honorific for PhD degrees, etc. would be something completely different than "doctor," PAs/MDs/DOs/NPs would all be called "doctor" and MDs/DOs would be "physicians." Or some variant thereof.

So you're saying that master's level PA's are not up to par with NP's??

she was talking in terms of recognition...every joe blow on the street knows what an np is. when most folks hear physician assistant they think medical assistant.

she was talking in terms of recognition...every joe blow on the street knows what an np is. when most folks hear physician assistant they think medical assistant.

Archived