Do Your Patients Know What A PA Is?

What percentage of your patients know what a PA is or what you do?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of your patients know what a PA is or what you do?

• <25%
    • 25-50%
    • 51-75%
    • >75%

Everytime I explain what a PA is and does I feel like I get the reaction that Buzz Lightyear got when he explain to Woody about what he was and did as a Space Ranger. I think it is because I put so much passion and emphasis on how much education and training that I have recieved and all the while in the back of their mind they are thinking. "All that time, energy and education...just to become an assistant! This guy must be coo-coo!" I dont always get that reaction, but about only 25% of people "get it" the other 75% are either confused, dont care, or misinterpret what I am trying to say.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime I explain what a PA is and does I feel like I get the reaction that Buzz Lightyear got when he explain to Woody about what he was and did as a Space Ranger. I think it is because I put so much passion and emphasis on how much education and training that I have recieved and all the while in the back of their mind they are thinking. "All that time, energy and education...just to become an assistant! This guy must be coo-coo!" I dont always get that reaction, but about only 25% of people "get it" the other 75% are either confused, dont care, or misinterpret what I am trying to say.

Soon to be student here, but I'd say I'm in the opposite boat of most previous posters and 75%+ of people I talk to know what a PA is. PAs are fairly prevalent in my area which likely contributes to this. However, one guy I talked to said "Oh yeah, public accountant!", I think he was confused with a CPA :)

Soon to be student here, but I'd say I'm in the opposite boat of most previous posters and 75%+ of people I talk to know what a PA is. PAs are fairly prevalent in my area which likely contributes to this. However, one guy I talked to said "Oh yeah, public accountant!", I think he was confused with a CPA :)

My last pt today asked me this very question today when I gave her my spiel! She asked "why not take the extra 2 years and become a REAL doctor, not just his assistant?"

I gave her my prepackaged answer of cost, time, wife n kids etc.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

My last pt today asked me this very question today when I gave her my spiel! She asked "why not take the extra 2 years and become a REAL doctor, not just his assistant?"

In response to the OP I thought it pertinent to post that in Louisiana it is state law that I introduce myself to any patient I encounter as I am a "Physician Assistant" (actually currently a Physician Assistant Student) and not "PA". In a state that is constantly battling for dead a$$ last on the state healthcare rankings listings that this is the type of thing the state board of medical examiners focuses on.

I also had an interesting experience last week. Our program is located in a teaching hospital that also houses a medical school and I shared an elevator up 8 floors with an MD resident that noticed my badge and asked, "I didn't know they had a PA program here". I responded, "yep". He asked how long the program was to which I answered 27 months with one year being classroom didactics and a year of multi-specialty clinical rotations across the state. He then asks, "Now a PA is like an NP right?"

/facepalm

This was eye opening for me. I was under the impression most MDs (especially younger fellows/residents) knew certainly what a PA was, being as that we are trained in the medical model to work along with them. Instead they think PA=NP...

JD

In response to the OP I thought it pertinent to post that in Louisiana it is state law that I introduce myself to any patient I encounter as I am a "Physician Assistant" (actually currently a Physician Assistant Student) and not "PA". In a state that is constantly battling for dead a$$ last on the state healthcare rankings listings that this is the type of thing the state board of medical examiners focuses on.

I also had an interesting experience last week. Our program is located in a teaching hospital that also houses a medical school and I shared an elevator up 8 floors with an MD resident that noticed my badge and asked, "I didn't know they had a PA program here". I responded, "yep". He asked how long the program was to which I answered 27 months with one year being classroom didactics and a year of multi-specialty clinical rotations across the state. He then asks, "Now a PA is like an NP right?"

/facepalm

This was eye opening for me. I was under the impression most MDs (especially younger fellows/residents) knew certainly what a PA was, being as that we are trained in the medical model to work along with them. Instead they think PA=NP...

JD

/facepalm

JD

/facepalm

JD

After the facepalm, what do you say? That NPs are trained in the nursing model and PAs are trained in the allopathic medical model? That probably would go in one ear and out the other because many of these folks see NPs and PAs performing the same role in many situations, sometimes the identical role within the same practice. I realize there is a distinction between NPs and PAs, but to the casual observer that distinction may not be that obvious.

What's the best way to explain the differences between an NP and a PA?

/facepalm

JD

After the facepalm, what do you say? That NPs are trained in the nursing model and PAs are trained in the allopathic medical model? That probably would go in one ear and out the other because many of these folks see NPs and PAs performing the same role in many situations, sometimes the identical role within the same practice. I realize there is a distinction between NPs and PAs, but to the casual observer that distinction may not be that obvious.

/facepalm

JD

• 2 weeks later...

NPs are trained in the nursing model, PAs are trained in the medical model

NPs practice (by their definition) advanced nursing, PAs practice medicine

NPs are governed (for the most part) by the BON, PAs are under the BOMs

NPs have, on the whole, less clinical training than PAs (by up to 50% in some cases)

NPs have independent practice in ~25% of the states, PAs do not have independent practice anywhere

...and in the long run, within a given specialty, NPs and PAs practice remarkably similarly

NPs are trained in the nursing model, PAs are trained in the medical model

NPs practice (by their definition) advanced nursing, PAs practice medicine

NPs are governed (for the most part) by the BON, PAs are under the BOMs

NPs have, on the whole, less clinical training than PAs (by up to 50% in some cases)

NPs have independent practice in ~25% of the states, PAs do not have independent practice anywhere

...and in the long run, within a given specialty, NPs and PAs practice remarkably similarly

Archived