Do Your Patients Know What A PA Is?

What percentage of your patients know what a PA is or what you do?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of your patients know what a PA is or what you do?

• <25%
    • 25-50%
    • 51-75%
    • >75%

I would say probably about 50% of my patients actually know what a PA/mid-level provider is. In my one facility, the majority of patients don't speak english, and I'd say the overwhelming majority there see all providers as 'docs'. Unfortunately, the majority of patients I see in my EDs are returning customers, so they all tend to know that the PAs work with the docs, can see, diagnose and treat their medical conditions and admit or d/c them home. Would they ever be able to tell me the difference between what a doc, PA or an NP (if we had any) did for them, probably not....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say probably about 50% of my patients actually know what a PA/mid-level provider is. In my one facility, the majority of patients don't speak english, and I'd say the overwhelming majority there see all providers as 'docs'. Unfortunately, the majority of patients I see in my EDs are returning customers, so they all tend to know that the PAs work with the docs, can see, diagnose and treat their medical conditions and admit or d/c them home. Would they ever be able to tell me the difference between what a doc, PA or an NP (if we had any) did for them, probably not....

no one knows what a PA actually is, what our training and licensure involve, etc.

Most people don't really understand these things for physicians, Nurse Practitioners, RNs, LPNs, etc. either. Ask your next appendicitis patient how many years of training his surgeon has and who provides his license.

Most people don't really understand these things for physicians, Nurse Practitioners, RNs, LPNs, etc. either. Ask your next appendicitis patient how many years of training his surgeon has and who provides his license.

I think most folks know med school is 4 years followed by a residency of several years. I would be happy if folks knew pa programs were taught at universities, lasted at least 2 years after prior medical experience and prereqs, and were of professional caliber.

I think most folks know med school is 4 years followed by a residency of several years. I would be happy if folks knew pa programs were taught at universities, lasted at least 2 years after prior medical experience and prereqs, and were of professional caliber.

This isn't necessarily true though. Some PA programs are taught at "colleges" (and I get the sense this is increasing). And some PA programs require no medical experience.

This isn't necessarily true though. Some PA programs are taught at "colleges" (and I get the sense this is increasing). And some PA programs require no medical experience.

I was speaking in generalities. college/university vs trade school at the mall for example. the vast majority of pa programs want some experience. enough so that it is the dominant trend, not the exception

*sigh* most people don't know how that "STOP! staff only" means do not go through that door or you will see a bloody scene. I'd be surprised if most people knew what a PA is, or if they understood it when someone explained it to them.

I was speaking in generalities. college/university vs trade school at the mall for example. the vast majority of pa programs want some experience. enough so that it is the dominant trend, not the exception

There are now 166 accredited PA programs with another 60 under development and, although I could be wrong, I expect that the need to fill those seats will diminish the amount of HCE expected of these new students. Having said that, they are must be located in a college or university capable of offering a graduate degree which pretty much eliminates the technical/vocational schools.

I think most folks know med school is 4 years followed by a residency of several years.

Until I really started considering med/PA school during freshman year of college, I didn't know this, so I wouldn't be shocked if the average pt doesn't. I think I thought that a resident doctor was one who worked directly for the hospital (hence resident) vs a doc who had hospital privileges. This is why positions need to be named things that accurately describe what they do! (Hhhmm Associate) Also, I've had to describe to many friends (from engineers to random PhDs to my parents who didn't go to college) what physician training is like when they ask about why I've chosen PA and they haven't been aware of residency.

Archived