Do Your Patients Know What A PA Is?

What percentage of your patients know what a PA is or what you do?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of your patients know what a PA is or what you do?

• <25%
    • 25-50%
    • 51-75%
    • >75%

This won't be the most scientific poll but perhaps we can get a better idea of what patient perception is.

My question is partially influenced by the recent name change debate

We hear that PAs have made so many inroads so far to establish themselves as Physician Assistants and that the name has already taken hold.

Yet many PAs complain of their role being misunderstood (or not understood at all!)

Now, being associates doesn't necessarily mean that we would be better understood, but the confusion with MAs may be part of it.

When you tell your patients you are a PA, do they know what that means?

eg...

Do they know PA means Physician Assistant?

Do they understand your role in the practice as it actually exists? (ie not waiting to "see the doctor" when you are doing a solo encounter)

This is a VERY GENERIC question, so as always, post to elaborate on your response.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This won't be the most scientific poll but perhaps we can get a better idea of what patient perception is.

We hear that PAs have made so many inroads so far to establish themselves as Physician Assistants and that the name has already taken hold.

Yet many PAs complain of their role being misunderstood (or not understood at all!)

Now, being associates doesn't necessarily mean that we would be better understood, but the confusion with MAs may be part of it.

eg...

Do they understand your role in the practice as it actually exists? (ie not waiting to "see the doctor" when you are doing a solo encounter)

This is a VERY GENERIC question, so as always, post to elaborate on your response.

eg...

I've had to explain often (even to family members) what I am going to grad school for. Often, they say "Physician Assistant? Aren't those the people that take blood pressures, help with charting and handle admin tasks in a doctor's office? You need a masters degree for that?" I give them a hypothetical scenario for practice here in Idaho. Say one has a simple fx. I explain that the PA would take you from triage, perform an H & P, order and interpret images, reduce the fx, prescribe any rx, and complete discharge paperwork. They often say they had no idea that we could do all that. When interacting with someone unfamiliar with the profession, I will say that I am attending PA school. When they ask what that is, I say "A PA (I rarely say Physician Assistant) is a medical provider that completed a masters degree program." I find it easier to get my point across if I simplify things. Most people here in Idaho are familiar with PAs, however, as the state has no medical school (only an agreement with UW under the WWAMI program) and one PA school. It's when I leave the state that I have to explain my profession. Not something that I lose sleep over, but I do believe the 'assistant' part is misleading. Sure we do first assists in Sx, but so do other MD/DOs. Often, PAs are on their own, and only 'assist' a MD/DO by increasing the number of pts seen. Don't get me wrong, I love working with docs and love having their backup as most of them are great people, but by that way of thinking are docs 'Hospital Assistants' because they increase the pt load of the institution? I don't think so. They finished a rigorous education and should be recognized for it. We should either get the news out in a big way on what PAs bring to the table, or should adopt a title that isn't misleading. I saw the proposed ad, and to echo others I feel we took two steps forward and one step back with a Carib school that said "There is no B-team, you're either a Physician or you're not." and the allied health professions we were lumped with: MA, PTA, PA. My personal opinion.

I've had to explain often (even to family members) what I am going to grad school for. Often, they say "Physician Assistant? Aren't those the people that take blood pressures, help with charting and handle admin tasks in a doctor's office? You need a masters degree for that?" I give them a hypothetical scenario for practice here in Idaho. Say one has a simple fx. I explain that the PA would take you from triage, perform an H & P, order and interpret images, reduce the fx, prescribe any rx, and complete discharge paperwork. They often say they had no idea that we could do all that. When interacting with someone unfamiliar with the profession, I will say that I am attending PA school. When they ask what that is, I say "A PA (I rarely say Physician Assistant) is a medical provider that completed a masters degree program." I find it easier to get my point across if I simplify things. Most people here in Idaho are familiar with PAs, however, as the state has no medical school (only an agreement with UW under the WWAMI program) and one PA school. It's when I leave the state that I have to explain my profession. Not something that I lose sleep over, but I do believe the 'assistant' part is misleading. Sure we do first assists in Sx, but so do other MD/DOs. Often, PAs are on their own, and only 'assist' a MD/DO by increasing the number of pts seen. Don't get me wrong, I love working with docs and love having their backup as most of them are great people, but by that way of thinking are docs 'Hospital Assistants' because they increase the pt load of the institution? I don't think so. They finished a rigorous education and should be recognized for it. We should either get the news out in a big way on what PAs bring to the table, or should adopt a title that isn't misleading. I saw the proposed ad, and to echo others I feel we took two steps forward and one step back with a Carib school that said "There is no B-team, you're either a Physician or you're not." and the allied health professions we were lumped with: MA, PTA, PA. My personal opinion.

Huh, I'm a PA and I don't have a Masters.....(yet)

I think until our degree, requirements and education are standardized, it's unfair and inaccurate to state that a PA is .... Or has.... To generalize what we are or what we hold.

I can just as say, "A PA is a second career for folks with YEARS of HCE before receiving advanced education to practice medicine..." But we all know that is not true of every PA...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I think until our degree, requirements and education are standardized, it's unfair and inaccurate to state that a PA is .... Or has.... To generalize what we are or what we hold.

I can just as say, "A PA is a second career for folks with YEARS of HCE before receiving advanced education to practice medicine..." But we all know that is not true of every PA...

I have been seeing patients at my current facility for over 4 years...I established from day 1 that I was a PA and made sure they knew what that was. There is a sign in the lobby and patient ed materials available....

However, in spite of all this, I find that many still think I'm either a doctor or a nurse practictioner??!! To further cause confusion, I have battled with several local pharmacies over prescriptions...they will often put my SPs name on a rx I write or label me as an NP? Patients see this and become confused. It's been frustrating...

I have been seeing patients at my current facility for over 4 years...I established from day 1 that I was a PA and made sure they knew what that was. There is a sign in the lobby and patient ed materials available....

However, in spite of all this, I find that many still think I'm either a doctor or a nurse practictioner??!! To further cause confusion, I have battled with several local pharmacies over prescriptions...they will often put my SPs name on a rx I write or label me as an NP? Patients see this and become confused. It's been frustrating...

When I tell people I'm in grad school to become a PA, I always follow that up with "Do you know what a PA is?" It's part my way to gauge awareness of the profession, and part to open a door to educate. I'd say about 75% of people I tell, do not know what a PA is. When I say it is a "Physician Assistant", of course as we all know, the title of the profession is misleading. As such, people not familiar with the profession get the wrong impression immediately of what my job will be. I often go on see if they know what a nurse practitioner is. Almost always, the answer is "oh, yes..." Then I say I'll have very similar responsibilities to them, and as physicians, in many settings.

But I won't answer the poll since I don't see patients yet...

When I tell people I'm in grad school to become a PA, I always follow that up with "Do you know what a PA is?" It's part my way to gauge awareness of the profession, and part to open a door to educate. I'd say about 75% of people I tell, do not know what a PA is. When I say it is a "Physician Assistant", of course as we all know, the title of the profession is misleading. As such, people not familiar with the profession get the wrong impression immediately of what my job will be. I often go on see if they know what a nurse practitioner is. Almost always, the answer is "oh, yes..." Then I say I'll have very similar responsibilities to them, and as physicians, in many settings.

Everytime I explain what a PA is and does I feel like I get the reaction that Buzz Lightyear got when he explain to Woody about what he was and did as a Space Ranger. I think it is because I put so much passion and emphasis on how much education and training that I have recieved and all the while in the back of their mind they are thinking. "All that time, energy and education...just to become an assistant! This guy must be coo-coo!" I dont always get that reaction, but about only 25% of people "get it" the other 75% are either confused, dont care, or misinterpret what I am trying to say.

Archived