Hi everyone. I am about to apply to PA school for the second time. I feel that I am a better candidate this time since I have retaken certain classes and acquired WAY more PCE hours than I had the first go around. However, I am struggling with this personal statement. The first time I wrote about my youngest brother. As a young child he was very sick and referred out to different hospitals/specialties which made a huge impact on myself. There were many great doctors and some awful ones (rude and dismissive) which helped shape the perception of what kind of doctor/medical provider I wanted to become. Yes, I was only 10-12 at the time but as an older sister you get protective and your dreams of becoming a princess or superhero often resolve by this age. I thought that I had a good topic but my husband, an engineer, disagrees. 

Could someone please let me know what they wrote about or even message me to bounce ideas around? It would be much appreciated. 

- Madison

I think you could briefly mention your brother topic, but I wouldn’t use this as the bulk of your paper because it is so long ago and you were so young. I think a topic more relevant to you as an adult will carry much more weight and let your audience see that the adult, mature person you have become has a personality and you have had experiences that make you stand out in your current place in life.

As to figuring out a topic, make a list of possible topics, experiences, personal interactions, whatever. See if any stand out as something you can expound on to make a great paper. The topic possibilities are endless, but choosing the right one is so difficult. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Yes, I agree with the other person. Don’t focus too much on it in your paper, but you can mention how it opened your eyes to the healthcare field. Just focus on answering the question: WHY would YOU be a great PA?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By buenasumilhig
      Hello, I've been working on my personal statement but having trouble with the structure. So far I've written why I want to be PA but wondering how to add my experience as a scribe into it? I first worked as an ER scribe to get exposure to a doctor. I then switched to scribe for a doctor at family clinic where I met a physician assistant who inspired me to become a PA. Where should I write about how my experience as a scribe will make me a good PA?
      Here's what I have so far:
      “Go be a doctor” was a constant thing I heard growing up in a Filipino household. My immigrant parents had their heart set on a better life for their children in America. They had many dreams for the five of us. They wanted me to be a doctor and I wanted to make them proud. After graduating from university I decided to take a gap year to volunteer, work, and study for the MCAT. I also made the decision to move back in with my family. I thought everything would fall into place, but it was only the beginning of an uphill battle. I found that I was always sleeping, had a lack of motivation, cried nightly, and was always sad. No matter how hard I tried to study for the MCAT all I wanted to do was lay in bed and waste my day away. I didn’t realize until later, but I developed depression. Every day I cried to myself, “I don’t want to be a doctor, I don’t even know what I want to be”.
      To pull me out of bed, I applied for an ER medical scribe position at my local hospital. I told myself that if I wanted to be in healthcare I should immerse myself in the environment. I scribed for five ER physicians. On my first day at the ER, I met a physician assistant for the first time ever. I had no idea that they even existed! That was the extent of my intrigue and had tunnel vision for being a doctor. I left the ER and applied for another scribe position at a family clinic. I scribed for a doctor, but she worked alongside a physician assistant, Christie Heany, PA-C.
      They worked together 2-3 days out of the week side-by-side. It was the perfect setting to compare the work of a physician assistant to a doctor. She would consult with the doctor, but it was her own choice on how to treat and diagnose a patient. Christie mused about physician assistant school and the training she received. She changed my perception of medicine. I have been walking along this path my parents forged for me to become a doctor, but I got lost along the way. I began piecing together my own path. I wanted to be a physician assistant.
      Should I start writing about how my scribe experience will make me a good PA here?
    • By Cosette
      I  think I am at my final draft and would love for someone to review it/read it over. Have looked at is soo many times that its hard to see any mistakes or weak points at this time. Anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and I will send it over.
      Please and thank you!
    • By liliixoxo
      Hi everyone!
      I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some feedback on my personal statement. This is the google doc link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WzHXUUlMxPUMcp_eOcx4ZKpaPwo5IRe1dOQSg6Xfixg/edit
      Thank you very much!
    • By liliixoxo
      Hi everyone, 
      I'm looking for someone to help me with my personal statement. I have something of a rough draft written. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More