Personal statement HELP

Hi everyone. I am about to apply to PA school for the second time. I feel that I am a better candidate this time since I have retaken certain classes and acquired WAY more PCE hours than I had the first go around. However, I am struggling with this personal statement. The first time I wrote about my youngest brother. As a young child he was very sick and referred out to different hospitals/specialties which made a huge impact on myself. There were many great doctors and some awful ones (rude and dismissive) which helped shape the perception of what kind of doctor/medical provider I wanted to become. Yes, I was only 10-12 at the time but as an older sister you get protective and your dreams of becoming a princess or superhero often resolve by this age. I thought that I had a good topic but my husband, an engineer, disagrees. 

Could someone please let me know what they wrote about or even message me to bounce ideas around? It would be much appreciated. 

- Madison

I think you could briefly mention your brother topic, but I wouldn’t use this as the bulk of your paper because it is so long ago and you were so young. I think a topic more relevant to you as an adult will carry much more weight and let your audience see that the adult, mature person you have become has a personality and you have had experiences that make you stand out in your current place in life.

As to figuring out a topic, make a list of possible topics, experiences, personal interactions, whatever. See if any stand out as something you can expound on to make a great paper. The topic possibilities are endless, but choosing the right one is so difficult. Good luck!

• Upvote 1